Baked Macaroni and Cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am looking for some tips and ideas for a really great baked macaroni and cheese. My grandma used to do one that was really simple with just cheddar, milk, flour, and pasta (obviously) and it was delish. I just can't seem to get it right. I've tried out several recipes with different cheeses, onion, bacon, etc. Just haven't found one I really love. Help!
Don't bake the casserole because it just dries it out. Put extra cheese on the top to cover and then brown it under the broiler. Think about how great they are at cafeterias. They have the browned crust, but the inside is nice and gooey. Also, a lesson to all from my sister the chef: Never bake cheese over 325 because a higher heat will cause the cheese to separate and release their oils, so you get hard, greasy cheese. Pass this on!
Janetto

I learned how to make Mac-N-Cheese from my Grandma about 55 years ago. I do not have a recipe though. All I do is cook the mac acccording to package directions. After draining it I put half in a glass baking dish, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top, repeat with balance of macaroni and more cheese. Then I drizzle milk over the top till I see it about half way up the side of the dish.
I bake it in a 375 oven for about 30 minutes or until it is golden brown.

To be honest I didn't even realize that other people added other things to Baked Mac-N-Cheese until about 5 years ago.

cafeteria macaroni here is usually stouffer's or lean cuisine. tip from an insider.
also, i pour cream into mine for additional richness.

I learned how to make Mac-N-Cheese from my Grandma about 55 years ago. I do not have a recipe though. All I do is cook the mac acccording to package directions. After draining it I put half in a glass baking dish, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top, repeat with balance of macaroni and more cheese. Then I drizzle milk over the top till I see it about half way up the side of the dish.
I bake it in a 375 oven for about 30 minutes or until it is golden brown.

To be honest I didn't even realize that other people added other things to Baked Mac-N-Cheese until about 5 years ago.

This is how my grandma did it, only I thought she added flour too. Maybe I'll try it without the flour, maybe that's how I keep screwing it up. Thanks AuntieV!

I did bake mac n cheese for the holidays. I made the white sauce and then melted cheese in. I didn't use velveeta, just what I had on hand, cheddar (sharp and mild), mozzarella, and a little piece of left over gruyere. It turned out really good, although it could have been moister. Either I need to make more of the white sauce before adding the cheese or I need to not bake it so long. Thanks for all the advice by boyfriend was very happy!

Glad it worked out for you! That is a great mixture of cheese. I think the dryness is more that you need more sauce than baking time, but I could be wrong, not knowing your temp or baking time.

I think it's the bechamel base that makes that recipe "saucy," not the use of a real sharp cheddar instead of a processed cheese (velveeta).
Looks good and simple, though.

I think it's the bechamel base that makes that recipe "saucy," not the use of a real sharp cheddar instead of a processed cheese (velveeta).
Looks good and simple, though.

Yes it is the bechamel sauce that makes it saucy, you may have misunderstood the meaning of my post, I was just telling the OP what I did to change the recipe to be more to my liking, not trying to convince them that real cheddar would make it more "saucy"!

"I substitute real sharp cheddar for the velveeta. It is nice and saucy!"
I suppose I did. I took "it" as referring to the preceding nouns.

"I substitute real sharp cheddar for the velveeta. It is nice and saucy!"
I suppose I did. I took "it" as referring to the preceding nouns.

I am not an expert in grammar, actually far from it, :LOL:

I assumed that putting a period at the end of the sentence would help separate the preceding nouns from the "it", but maybe that isn't how it works. if I had used a comma I could see how that mistake could be made.

No harm no foul!

Let's try to keep just a little of the spirit of the season here. We are a cooking forum. I know it drives some of us to drink, because many like me
don't use the correct grammar or position commas, and such properly. If i offend you, please PM me,please don't tell me about my mistakes on the open forum. We all have feelings, We have joined here to exchange recipes and at times ask for a hug or a prayer. Let's respect each other and enjoy the forum and friendships we've formed.
kadesma

Well I'm odd woman out - I hate velveeta, just don't like the taste.

Here's my mac n cheese...I got this from my brother's fiance who got it from her grandmother...I love it love it love it!

For a 9x13 inch pan:

(2) cans cheddar cheese soup
plain yogurt
(2) blocks of cheese of choice, grated (I usually do colby jack and jalapeno jack)
a box of noodles - I cook these separately.

While cooking the noodles combine the cheese soup and yogurt to desired taste. I use both cans of soup and add yogurt and taste, etc.

Keep in mind the added blocks of cheese changes things considerably.

I reserve some cheese for the top, and I mix the cheeses and soup mix together and pour the hot noodles into it and mix it all up.

Then I add whatever I feel like. Sometimes I add a little curry powder, sometimes cayenne, a little salt.

My favorite additions are larged diced tomatoes, diced ham and red pepper flakes.

If I'm feeling really naughty I also top with bread crumbs tossed with butter.

I bake this for about 30 minutes and viola! My favorite mac and cheese.

Someone said everyone likes mac and cheese differently and I would agree. However everyone that's had this recipe has liked it. The yogurt and the cheese soup give it the creamy texture and the mildness of the cheese flavors allows for creativity.

Happy Holidays!

For a 9x13 inch pan:

(2) cans cheddar cheese soup
plain yogurt
(2) blocks of cheese of choice, grated (I usually do colby jack and jalapeno jack)
a box of noodles - I cook these separately.

How big is a block? Can you give a weight please? Cheese is packaged differently everywhere I think. Thanks Jeni!

Sorry about that - I have one in my fridge that's .62 lbs. They are the medium sized rectangle blocks - so probably 1-1.25 lbs of cheese total in this dish.

We just tried the browning of the top, but still the inside was not as creamy as we want. My husband decided it is because the pasta soaks up all the liquid. Next time he makes it, he is going to coat the cooked pasta with butter, then add the sauce, hoping this will prevent the pasta from absorbing so much. We like to make a white sauce and add both velveeta and colby.jack mix. The cheese is really what is to each ones liking. We have spent 36 years trying to make the perfect Mac & Cheese and still haven't found it. Maybe there isn't one! Maybe we're too picky! Does anyone find another pasta works better than the old macaroni? Hey, BowTies might work because I don't see how they could absorb much moisture.

I would think that the shape of the pasta may "hold" sauce differently, but if it's the same brand, it generally absorbs the same. I would use more sauce.

If you don't like dry mac and cheese, please give this one a try! I substitute real sharp cheddar for the velveeta. It is nice and saucy!

Trust me it is wonderful if you prefer creamy mac and cheese over the more solid custard style.

Mouse's Macaroni and Cheese - All Recipes

The amount of sauce you have depends on the amount of liquid you use., not on the type of cheese.

Velveeta makes for a creamier mac and cheese, though less flavorful.

Back
Top Bottom