"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-24-2009, 04:41 PM   #41
Head Chef

I have been making the Patti LaBelle mac & cheese recipe for years - it is baked with eggs like a custard. It gets rave reviews.
Patti LaBelle's Mac and Cheese Recipe @ CDKitchen.com :: it's what's cooking online!

Old 12-24-2009, 06:14 PM   #42
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Wow - 2 cups of half n half. No wonder it's good.
:)

Old 12-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltsfanchris View Post
I am looking for some tips and ideas for a really great baked macaroni and cheese. My grandma used to do one that was really simple with just cheddar, milk, flour, and pasta (obviously) and it was delish. I just can't seem to get it right. I've tried out several recipes with different cheeses, onion, bacon, etc. Just haven't found one I really love. Help!
Don't bake the casserole because it just dries it out. Put extra cheese on the top to cover and then brown it under the broiler. Think about how great they are at cafeterias. They have the browned crust, but the inside is nice and gooey. Also, a lesson to all from my sister the chef: Never bake cheese over 325 because a higher heat will cause the cheese to separate and release their oils, so you get hard, greasy cheese. Pass this on!
Janetto
Old 12-25-2009, 07:10 PM   #44
Cook

I learned how to make Mac-N-Cheese from my Grandma about 55 years ago. I do not have a recipe though. All I do is cook the mac acccording to package directions. After draining it I put half in a glass baking dish, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top, repeat with balance of macaroni and more cheese. Then I drizzle milk over the top till I see it about half way up the side of the dish.
I bake it in a 375 oven for about 30 minutes or until it is golden brown.

To be honest I didn't even realize that other people added other things to Baked Mac-N-Cheese until about 5 years ago.
Old 12-25-2009, 09:54 PM   #45
Master Chef

cafeteria macaroni here is usually stouffer's or lean cuisine. tip from an insider.
also, i pour cream into mine for additional richness.
Old 12-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieV View Post
I learned how to make Mac-N-Cheese from my Grandma about 55 years ago. I do not have a recipe though. All I do is cook the mac acccording to package directions. After draining it I put half in a glass baking dish, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top, repeat with balance of macaroni and more cheese. Then I drizzle milk over the top till I see it about half way up the side of the dish.
I bake it in a 375 oven for about 30 minutes or until it is golden brown.

To be honest I didn't even realize that other people added other things to Baked Mac-N-Cheese until about 5 years ago.
This is how my grandma did it, only I thought she added flour too. Maybe I'll try it without the flour, maybe that's how I keep screwing it up. Thanks AuntieV!

I did bake mac n cheese for the holidays. I made the white sauce and then melted cheese in. I didn't use velveeta, just what I had on hand, cheddar (sharp and mild), mozzarella, and a little piece of left over gruyere. It turned out really good, although it could have been moister. Either I need to make more of the white sauce before adding the cheese or I need to not bake it so long. Thanks for all the advice by boyfriend was very happy!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 PM   #47
Certified Cake Maniac

Glad it worked out for you! That is a great mixture of cheese. I think the dryness is more that you need more sauce than baking time, but I could be wrong, not knowing your temp or baking time.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #48
Master Chef

More sauce
Old 12-28-2009, 05:08 PM   #49
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If you don't like dry mac and cheese, please give this one a try! I substitute real sharp cheddar for the velveeta. It is nice and saucy!

Trust me it is wonderful if you prefer creamy mac and cheese over the more solid custard style.

Mouse's Macaroni and Cheese - All Recipes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #50
Head Chef

I think it's the bechamel base that makes that recipe "saucy," not the use of a real sharp cheddar instead of a processed cheese (velveeta).
Looks good and simple, though.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None