"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
I think it's the bechamel base that makes that recipe "saucy," not the use of a real sharp cheddar instead of a processed cheese (velveeta).
Looks good and simple, though.
Yes it is the bechamel sauce that makes it saucy, you may have misunderstood the meaning of my post, I was just telling the OP what I did to change the recipe to be more to my liking, not trying to convince them that real cheddar would make it more "saucy"!

Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #52
Head Chef

"I substitute real sharp cheddar for the velveeta. It is nice and saucy!"
I suppose I did. I took "it" as referring to the preceding nouns.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #53
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
"I substitute real sharp cheddar for the velveeta. It is nice and saucy!"
I suppose I did. I took "it" as referring to the preceding nouns.
I am not an expert in grammar, actually far from it,

I assumed that putting a period at the end of the sentence would help separate the preceding nouns from the "it", but maybe that isn't how it works. if I had used a comma I could see how that mistake could be made.

No harm no foul!
Old 12-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Let's try to keep just a little of the spirit of the season here. We are a cooking forum. I know it drives some of us to drink, because many like me
don't use the correct grammar or position commas, and such properly. If i offend you, please PM me,please don't tell me about my mistakes on the open forum. We all have feelings, We have joined here to exchange recipes and at times ask for a hug or a prayer. Let's respect each other and enjoy the forum and friendships we've formed.
kadesma
Old 12-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #55
Senior Cook

Well I'm odd woman out - I hate velveeta, just don't like the taste.

Here's my mac n cheese...I got this from my brother's fiance who got it from her grandmother...I love it love it love it!

For a 9x13 inch pan:

(2) cans cheddar cheese soup
plain yogurt
(2) blocks of cheese of choice, grated (I usually do colby jack and jalapeno jack)
a box of noodles - I cook these separately.

While cooking the noodles combine the cheese soup and yogurt to desired taste. I use both cans of soup and add yogurt and taste, etc.

Keep in mind the added blocks of cheese changes things considerably.

I reserve some cheese for the top, and I mix the cheeses and soup mix together and pour the hot noodles into it and mix it all up.

Then I add whatever I feel like. Sometimes I add a little curry powder, sometimes cayenne, a little salt.

My favorite additions are larged diced tomatoes, diced ham and red pepper flakes.

If I'm feeling really naughty I also top with bread crumbs tossed with butter.

I bake this for about 30 minutes and viola! My favorite mac and cheese.

Someone said everyone likes mac and cheese differently and I would agree. However everyone that's had this recipe has liked it. The yogurt and the cheese soup give it the creamy texture and the mildness of the cheese flavors allows for creativity.

Happy Holidays!
Old 12-29-2009, 01:07 AM   #56
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post

For a 9x13 inch pan:

(2) cans cheddar cheese soup
plain yogurt
(2) blocks of cheese of choice, grated (I usually do colby jack and jalapeno jack)
a box of noodles - I cook these separately.
How big is a block? Can you give a weight please? Cheese is packaged differently everywhere I think. Thanks Jeni!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #57
Senior Cook

Sorry about that - I have one in my fridge that's .62 lbs. They are the medium sized rectangle blocks - so probably 1-1.25 lbs of cheese total in this dish.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #58
Assistant Cook

We just tried the browning of the top, but still the inside was not as creamy as we want. My husband decided it is because the pasta soaks up all the liquid. Next time he makes it, he is going to coat the cooked pasta with butter, then add the sauce, hoping this will prevent the pasta from absorbing so much. We like to make a white sauce and add both velveeta and colby.jack mix. The cheese is really what is to each ones liking. We have spent 36 years trying to make the perfect Mac & Cheese and still haven't found it. Maybe there isn't one! Maybe we're too picky! Does anyone find another pasta works better than the old macaroni? Hey, BowTies might work because I don't see how they could absorb much moisture.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #59
Head Chef

I would think that the shape of the pasta may "hold" sauce differently, but if it's the same brand, it generally absorbs the same. I would use more sauce.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 AM   #60
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
If you don't like dry mac and cheese, please give this one a try! I substitute real sharp cheddar for the velveeta. It is nice and saucy!

Trust me it is wonderful if you prefer creamy mac and cheese over the more solid custard style.

Mouse's Macaroni and Cheese - All Recipes

The amount of sauce you have depends on the amount of liquid you use., not on the type of cheese.

Velveeta makes for a creamier mac and cheese, though less flavorful.

Tags
None