"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #61
Head Chef

yep.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:27 AM   #62
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetto View Post
..........We have spent 36 years trying to make the perfect Mac & Cheese and still haven't found it. Maybe there isn't one! ...........

Heck - trying is half the fun :)

Old 12-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #63
Assistant Cook

"Oink, Oink!" I'll second that (she says with a cheesy grin).
Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 PM   #64
Master Chef

i make mac and cheese with the white sauce to which i add cabot extremely sharp cheddar cheese shredded, shredded swiss, the kraft 4 cheese shredded blend, hot sauce, beer and cooked pasta shells. (it tastes a bit like fondue) i have never topped and baked.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:01 PM   #65
Assistant Cook

I use the recipe "Mac and Cheese with Quattro Formaggi" in the Silver Palette Good Times Cookbook. I omit the mozzarella (too stringy) and replace most of the cheeses with Vermont cheddar. It's delicious.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 PM   #66
Chef Extraordinaire

So ever since this eating thingy started I have been wanting to make Mac and Cheese. Well, I finally have my appetite back. In fact I had a big dish of Pasta for breakfast. My family loves Italian style Mac and Cheese. That is with tomatoes. I break up the tomatoes and use the juice for some of the liquid for the bechamel sauce. The rest is the standard milk, butter and flour.

My supermarket puts the cold cut ends out for sale at a reduced price per pound. I always try to grab a couple of packages of cheese ends. They are mixed cheeses. One package could contain Swiss, Sharp Cheddar, Provolone, some sliced, some not. Just chunks. These packages are perfect for calzones.

I also have a large bag of frozen fresh bread crumbs in the freezer. Need to use them up.

So I get all the ingredients together on the counter, and put on the large pot of water. One thing was missing. The casserole size macaroni. I didn't have any on hand. So Son #1 will have to pick up a pound of it tomorrow. But tonight I will make the sauce.

Well, at least I am back to cooking. The next item on my list are cinnamon rolls for Son #1. I guess I should make some for my daughter and her family. My granddaughter had surgerey yesterday and is very sore today. I think some cinnamon rolls will just be the right thing to cheer her up.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #67
Chef Extraordinaire

So I made the sauce. There was a large chunk of Swiss cheese in the ends. I had waaay to much cheese for the sauce, so I mixed the rest with the dried fresh bread crumbs. I didn't realize that the last chunk I grated was Swiss. It melted beautifully in the sauce, so stringy and created a beautiful topping with the bread crumbs. I had too much bread crumbs, so the surplus went into the freezer for another day.

I never use store bought bread crumbs anymore. The fresh ones have so much flavor. Son #1 is very happy. He would have liked more dry mustard in it though. He forgets I have to eat this also.

Tonight the starter and dough for the cinnamon rolls.

Tags
None