"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-17-2009, 04:03 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

I am looking for some tips and ideas for a really great baked macaroni and cheese. My grandma used to do one that was really simple with just cheddar, milk, flour, and pasta (obviously) and it was delish. I just can't seem to get it right. I've tried out several recipes with different cheeses, onion, bacon, etc. Just haven't found one I really love. Help!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Master Chef

I just make a simple bechemel (white sauce) with equal parts butter and flour and milk and melt a lot of really good shredded cheese into it. I usually use a combination of cheeses -- cheddar, gruyere, gouda -- whatever I have on hand, usually.

If you are going to bake it, I find that you will want your sauce to be thin. And you want a lot of it, as the pasta will suck it in.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I recently made one for a pot luck Christmas Party.

In addition to a basic Mac 'n Cheese recipe, I added:

1 Can of cream of Mushroom Soup
1 Can of Ceddar Cheese Soup
1/2 cup of tiny diced Red and Green Bell Peppers (for Christmas color, sprinkled on top)

I received many compliments on it and was asked by two people for the recipe, so I suppose it was good.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

What seems to be 'off' in your recipe? Is the flavor flat or is the texture off?

I also make a fairly straight forward mac and cheese with a white sauce and shredded cheddar (and sometimes other types or cheese). I usually add a little grated onion, a small amount of dried mustard and pinch of nutmeg and cayenne pepper as well.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #5
Head Chef

When I was younger, everyone in the house liked their mac & cheese differently, so it was always a process for my mom to make this for dinner. I liked the mac and cheese with sliced mushrooms added in and cheddar cheese. My brother and father liked mushrooms and tuna with cheddar. My mom with tuna and american cheese on top, and my sister with nothing added in, and american on top.

Now that I am in charge of the kitchen, I do the basic bechemel with white wine, cheddar , and any other left over cheeses and mushrooms. I then place it in a thin layer in a lasagna pan ( maybe an inch thick, then broil it for a few minutes with cheddar on top. I keep it thin because we fight for the crusty cheese on top, so i figured this gives more surface area for the crusty cheese. Sometimes if I feel like deep dishing it, ill put it in one of those onion soup crocks, put a bunch of cheese on top, then broil it like that .
Old 12-17-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Head Chef

A bechamel with some great cheese is always good, but ya know... I like to use that "cheese" in a box. you know what I mean.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #7
Head Chef

You will never make as good as GRANDMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But it might be fun trying. :)

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 AM   #8
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
A bechamel with some great cheese is always good, but ya know... I like to use that "cheese" in a box. you know what I mean.
VELVEETA!!! Say it with me people! I love the stuff!

OK, I don't care how food snobby we pretend to be, we all use and like some down home stuff. (In my case, I like a LOT of it!)

Best mac and cheese is the one made with bechamel, then lots of velveeta melted in and a few shots of grated cheddar. MMMMMMMMM!

I know what I'm making for dinner tonight!
Old 12-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
VELVEETA!!! Say it with me people! I love the stuff!

OK, I don't care how food snobby we pretend to be, we all use and like some down home stuff. (In my case, I like a LOT of it!)

Best mac and cheese is the one made with bechamel, then lots of velveeta melted in and a few shots of grated cheddar. MMMMMMMMM!

I know what I'm making for dinner tonight!
I went 50 years without buying Velveeta, but now I do use some Velveeta when I make mac and cheese for kids. It melts really well and makes the sauce creamier. Almost plastic IMO if you use too much. So I still mostly use cheddar with a hunk of Velveeta added.

Velveeta is very bland, though. For kids that's usually a good thing.

When I make mac and cheese for adults, it's all about the cheese. I use very good, flavorful cheeses, which means no Velveeta.
Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I went 50 years without buying Velveeta, but now I do use some Velveeta when I make mac and cheese for kids. It melts really well and makes the sauce creamier. Almost plastic IMO if you use too much. So I still mostly use cheddar with a hunk of Velveeta added.
Having never eaten plastic I couldn't say.

I do know that velveeta is a pleaser in our house. Both with the kids and with the adults. Perhaps my palate is just not refined enough. LOL. I read somewhere that you lose tastebuds as you get older, thats why kids are often "pickier" they taste more nuance.

I only make mac and cheese for our family of 4, so I don't have to worry. Velveeta in my bechamel with about 1 cup of grated old cheddar. I don't put any bread crumbs on top of mine though.

Tags
None