"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The recipe calls for only one T of flour and doesn't tell you how much butter to use for the roux.

I agree that you need a thin sauce for a baked Mac and cheese recipe like this. In fact my recipe is very similar but I use a pound of pasta, two cups of cheese and 5:5 butter/flour. I just eyeball the milk. The roux/liquid ratio is what makes a sauce thick or loose, not the amount of butter or flour.
details, details...oh ya? well, maybe you're confused because I'm confused. hahaha Now you're making me laugh. You are perfectly right.
Well use 3 Tblsp. of flour and 1 Tblsp. butter or whatever you'd like. Sounds like you've made something like this before. You can adjust the thickness of the sauce yourself eh?
That's the problem with not copying a recipe word-for-word I guess. You occasionalliy get people like me who should be spending more time in the kitchen
I'd love your recipe. Do tell. :>)

Old 12-12-2012, 08:18 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Quote:
The recipe calls for only one T of flour and doesn't tell you how much butter to use for the roux.

I agree that you need a thin sauce for a baked Mac and cheese recipe like this. In fact my recipe is very similar but I use a pound of pasta, two cups of cheese and 5:5 butter/flour. I just eyeball the milk. The roux/liquid ratio is what makes a sauce thick or loose, not the amount of butter or flour.
jennyema, sorry you're so confused. It sounds like you've made something like this before so you should be able to figure it out.
Won't you please post your recipe? I'm sure we'd all love to see it

Old 12-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

chef maloney I made you macaroni and cheese recipe and it was very good. I made it just the way in the recipe you wrote. We really like it alot and I am making it again. Maybe that person that got confused does'nt cook very much who knows. anyway thanks
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
Sous Chef

You are welcome Junie glad you liked it
Old 12-12-2012, 09:48 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junie View Post
chef maloney I made you macaroni and cheese recipe and it was very good. I made it just the way in the recipe you wrote. We really like it alot and I am making it again. Maybe that person that got confused does'nt cook very much who knows. anyway thanks
That's a good one. I'm not confused. I'm pointing out that both that the recipe is confusing (how much butter did you use?) and that it uses an incorrect ratio for bechemel sauce.

But glad you liked it!
Old 12-12-2012, 10:09 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Quote:
That's a good one. I'm not confused. I'm pointing out that both that the recipe is confusing (how much butter did you use?) and that it uses an incorrect ratio for bechemel sauce.

But glad you liked it!
But I do see the amount of butter to use right at the top. Maybe its not a correct ratio for bechemel sauce. I don't think it is one cause I don't see the word bechemel in there anywhere. It must just be right for the recipe. We liked it that way. anyway we liked it and it came out good you should make it. good luck.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:26 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junie View Post
But I do see the amount of butter to use right at the top. Maybe its not a correct ratio for bechemel sauce. I don't think it is one cause I don't see the word bechemel in there anywhere. It must just be right for the recipe. We liked it that way. anyway we liked it and it came out good you should make it. good luck.
The average cook makes a true bechemel sauce for mac and cheese. Chef M has a different sauce that sounds like it should be a bechemel and yet it is not. I can understand what Jennyna was saying. She was looking for the standard bechemel. That wasn't it.

But thank you for trying it and letting us know that the amounts are correct. Even though they sound like they aren't.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

I amm sorry jennyemma Addie told me and I dont want to hurt your feelings ever. I really like looking at your recipes on here and I don't want to get deleted like Addie said when she sent me the message on here. I didnt mean to critacize you ever I reallymean it. I just want to be as good of a cook as you some day and respectd like Addie says. so please don't be mad at me.I am sorry.I hope you show me some more recipes please dont stop
Old 12-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

and thank you Addie you are nice for helping me. You are nice to Jennyemma.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There are many ways to make a recipe, no one way is right. Many of us love to take a recipe and put our own spin on it. A reason why we call this forum, " Discuss Cooking" is, well, we discuss cooking! We can agree, or not, and we welcome all opinions.

Please don't apologize, Junie! So glad your mac and cheese turned out great! Don't worry what the sauce is called.

Tags
cheese, recipe

Baked Macaroni & Cheese I've never been a big fan of macaroni & cheese but when I found this gourmet french version 25 years ago I changed my mind. So easy. This can be made ahead of time, refrigerated, and baked later. [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorange][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00][B]BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]1/2 Lb. Macaroni, cooked & drained (like elbow)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]3 Tblsp. Butter[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]1 Tblsp. Flour[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]2 cups Milk[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Salt & Pepper to taste[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]1/8 tsp. Nutmeg[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]1 cup Gruyere Cheese, grated[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]2 Tblsp. Butter[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Cook the Macaroni according to package directions. Drain. Toss in a little Butter & Stir to keep it from sticking together. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Set Aside.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Melt the Butter in a pot, Whisk in the Flour, Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes to remove the flour taste. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Pour in the Milk. Whisking, until it comes to a boiL. The Sauce will be fairly thin. Add the Salt, Pepper & Nutmeg.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Turn Off the Heat.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Stir-In 2/3 of the Gruyere. Stir until Cheese is Melted.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Stir in the cooked Macaroni.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Pour Into a Buttered Baking Dish.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Top w/remaining Gruyere. Dot w/Butter[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Bake for approximately 20 minutes, 425 degrees, until top is Browned.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] 5 stars 1 reviews