"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Baked Macaroni & Cheese

I've never been a big fan of macaroni & cheese but when I found this gourmet french version 25 years ago I changed my mind. So easy.
This can be made ahead of time, refrigerated, and baked later.

BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE

1/2 Lb. Macaroni, cooked & drained (like elbow)

3 Tblsp. Butter
1 Tblsp. Flour
2 cups Milk
Salt & Pepper to taste
1/8 tsp. Nutmeg

1 cup Gruyere Cheese, grated
2 Tblsp. Butter

Cook the Macaroni according to package directions. Drain. Toss in a little Butter & Stir to keep it from sticking together.
Set Aside.

Melt the Butter in a pot, Whisk in the Flour, Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes to remove the flour taste.
Pour in the Milk. Whisking, until it comes to a boiL. The Sauce will be fairly thin. Add the Salt, Pepper & Nutmeg.
Turn Off the Heat.
Stir-In 2/3 of the Gruyere. Stir until Cheese is Melted.
Stir in the cooked Macaroni.
Pour Into a Buttered Baking Dish.
Top w/remaining Gruyere. Dot w/Butter

Bake for approximately 20 minutes, 425 degrees, until top is Browned.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Sounds great, love gruyere! Very similar to mine but I go with more roux for a thicker mornay and I top breadcrumbs mixed with a little Emeril's Essence (not a fan of the guy but it's a great spice mix though) and some grated cheese to make an au gratin.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

This does sound lovely, will try this one
Old 12-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Master Chef

Hey with Gruyere Cheese it has to be wonderful! I used it on top of my French Onion Soup a few nights ago, and I had forgotten what a remarkable flavor it has.
Copied and pasted, and will try it soon. Thanks CM!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Master Chef

The recipe is a bit confusing.

The fat flour ratio should be 1:1, as in 3T butter 3T flour.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The recipe is a bit confusing.

The fat flour ratio should be 1:1, as in 3T butter 3T flour.
No. The fat/flour ratio is correct for this recipe. If you want it thicker go for it, although baking will remove moisture and it may be too dry
Old 12-12-2012, 12:12 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
No. The fat/flour ratio is correct for this recipe. If you want it thicker go for it, although baking will remove moisture and it may be too dry
What ratio do they use?

5T of butter are listed. One T of flour.

The thickness of bechemel sauce is determined by how much liquid you use or how much roux you make but the fat/flour ratio always should be 1:1.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
What ratio do they use?

5T of butter are listed. One T of flour.

The thickness of bechemel sauce is determined by how much liquid you use or how much roux you make but the fat/flour ratio always should be 1:1.
Yes. This is a thinner sauce.
Use 3 Tblsp. Flour & 1 Tblsp. Butter for making the roux for the sauce.
The other 2 Tblsp. butter listed at the bottom of the recipe are used for dotting the top of the casserole.
As stated, the sauce will be fairly fluid with this ratio but you will find after baking it comes out just right.
Sorry for the confusion jennyema, please feel free to ask more questions if you'd like.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

My family likes ther mac and cheese with tomatoes. So I drain the large can of tomatoes and also the hand crushed ones. I use that liquid combined with the milk as part of the liquid for the sauce. I too make a very thin sauce. The macaroni will abosrb a lot of the liquid and any cheese will add to the thickness as well. The only difference is that I have to use a whole pound of maraconi. We have casserole size elbows. They are bigger and absorb more of the liquid.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Maloney View Post
Yes. This is a thinner sauce.
Use 3 Tblsp. Flour & 1 Tblsp. Butter for making the roux for the sauce.
The other 2 Tblsp. butter listed at the bottom of the recipe are used for dotting the top of the casserole.
As stated, the sauce will be fairly fluid with this ratio but you will find after baking it comes out just right.
Sorry for the confusion jennyema, please feel free to ask more questions if you'd like.
The recipe calls for only one T of flour and doesn't tell you how much butter to use for the roux.

I agree that you need a thin sauce for a baked Mac and cheese recipe like this. In fact my recipe is very similar but I use a pound of pasta, two cups of cheese and 5:5 butter/flour. I just eyeball the milk. The roux/liquid ratio is what makes a sauce thick or loose, not the amount of butter or flour.

Tags
cheese, recipe

Baked Macaroni & Cheese I've never been a big fan of macaroni & cheese but when I found this gourmet french version 25 years ago I changed my mind. So easy. This can be made ahead of time, refrigerated, and baked later. [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorange][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00][B]BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=#ff8c00][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=black]1/2 Lb. Macaroni, cooked & drained (like elbow)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]3 Tblsp. Butter[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]1 Tblsp. Flour[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]2 cups Milk[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Salt & Pepper to taste[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]1/8 tsp. Nutmeg[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]1 cup Gruyere Cheese, grated[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]2 Tblsp. Butter[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Cook the Macaroni according to package directions. Drain. Toss in a little Butter & Stir to keep it from sticking together. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Set Aside.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Melt the Butter in a pot, Whisk in the Flour, Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes to remove the flour taste. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Pour in the Milk. Whisking, until it comes to a boiL. The Sauce will be fairly thin. Add the Salt, Pepper & Nutmeg.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Turn Off the Heat.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Stir-In 2/3 of the Gruyere. Stir until Cheese is Melted.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Stir in the cooked Macaroni.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Pour Into a Buttered Baking Dish.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Top w/remaining Gruyere. Dot w/Butter[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3]Bake for approximately 20 minutes, 425 degrees, until top is Browned.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT] 5 stars 1 reviews