"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-11-2015, 08:32 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Incidentally, the way to avoid flatulence is to throw away the soaking water and to cook the beans in fresh.
But then you are throwing away the fun of having beans...

Old 01-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Oh, Princess, you crack me up!!!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:09 AM   #13
Senior Cook

I used to make a pot of beans every single weekend, and I had the ritual down, soak {used salt} them, then hours and hours of heating, and then sometimes I would dowse them in honey and maple sugar, line bacon through them and bake them low and slow for hours and hours..... They were sooooooo gooooood...

Then I went to a clam bake/frish fry and watched them make beans in NOT hours and hours, in a pressure cooker on a propane outdoor burner, then I tasted them, and they were soooooo gooooood too.... So now I cook my beans in a pressure cooker.... and bake bread for hours and hours and hours...
Old 01-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Mad Cook et al, I remember watching old British movies and sometimes a person needed to put a schilling in the gas meter for heat or cooking; noted because sometimes they needed to borrow that shilling Also, after WW2, the UK continued to ration until 1952, which is a long time.

--

I use the quick soaking method, bring to a boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and cover and let sit one hour. Change water and proceed.

I do this because Mostly I don't plan ahead to soak overnight. Works fine.

I do not add salt (if any) until near the end of cooking, esp if using a ham bone or ham hocks.
Pre-payment gas and electricity meters where you inserted coins or these days a plastic card that you charge up at the post office, have usually been used by the poor or people who are in debt to the gas or electricity company or sometimes if they rent their house. It must be a pain in the neck if you aren't organised enough to remember to charge up your meter and then you run out of fuel.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
But then you are throwing away the fun of having beans...
Old 01-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
Mad Cook et al, I remember watching old British movies and sometimes a person needed to put a schilling in the gas meter for heat or cooking; noted because sometimes they needed to borrow that shilling Also, after WW2, the UK continued to ration until 1952, which is a long time.

--

I use the quick soaking method, bring to a boil for 2 minutes, remove from heat and cover and let sit one hour. Change water and proceed.

I do this because Mostly I don't plan ahead to soak overnight. Works fine.

I do not add salt (if any) until near the end of cooking, esp if using a ham bone or ham hocks.
One of the reasons that rationing continued so long after WW2 (to 1954, not '52) was that we owed so much to so many countries (American Lend Lease, etc.,) that we had to concentrate on building up our post war industrial infrastructure to make goods that we could sell to raise the necessary capital, for example new cars were in short supply in Britain because most of the production was being exported. In addition, many food processing plants and storage facilities had been converted to war production (and a lot of it destroyed in bombing raids) and we were short of the means to convert raw materials into foodstuffs, particularly what might be considered "luxury" foods.

Crumbs, you can take the woman out of history teaching but you can't take history teaching out of the woman
Old 01-12-2015, 04:46 PM   #17
Executive Chef

My wife will feel vindicated when I send her the link to the story.
She does not soak, but I do and always tell her she should soak. She uses no soaking method at all. Just dumps them in the pot, adds water and cooks the heck out of them.
Time to shut up I guess.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:35 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to zfranca
Soaking the beans will only reduce the cooking time by 15 minutes more or less. So if you decide to have beans and no time to soak them, just go ahead.....
Old 07-14-2015, 11:36 AM   #19
Master Chef

Sometimes I soak in salted water, sometimes I don't.

I haven't noticed a difference so now I usually just throw them in the pot and go.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

When the kids were small and growing up, every Saturday night was bean night. After cleaning the kitchen on Friday night after supper, the first thing I did was sort and remove any stones, then put a small bag of Navy Beans in a large bowl to soak. I kept an eye on them and would add water if needed. I gave them the last check just before I headed off to bed. They soak up a lot of water when soaking. The next morning the beans were drained off and cooked on the stove until the skin would split when blown on. Time to put them in the bean pot. I saved the water that I boiled them with. That went into the pot with the beans. For the next seven to eight hours, they baked in a slow oven.

I once tried to make them without soaking them. I found that they didn't cook to the degree of softness I liked. Even the kids noticed the difference. They had that little nib of undoneness in the very center. Sure it was more work with the soaking. But not enough work that would bring on a heart attack. I learned to cook beans from my mother when she was still cooking on a wood burning stove. So I stuck with that recipe all my life.

I am a New England cook. I stay with what I learned as a child from my mother. For me, I soak. I get a better product in the end.

Tags
cook, cooking