Bean Cooking Method Comparison

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Put beans into the pressure cooker to fill half full. cover with water until the pot is 3/4 full. Add salt. Cover, bring up to temp. where the hat starts wiggling. Turn down heat and let cook for 45 mintues. Remove beans to another pot and add flavorings to make you beans. Remember, sugar will cause beans to firm up and dry a bit. So if you are adding sweet things, like mollases, brown sugar, maple syrup, make sure the beans are very soft.

If making a savory pot of beans, flavor, simmer for another hour to let the flavors soak into the beans, and serve.

Always make sure there is a little sauce in the beans to keep them from scorching, or drying out too much.

If adding meat, be it a ham bone, ham, pork hock, ground beef, or whatever, the meat will absorb some of the flavors from the other things you put into your beans. Remember, if you cook the meat too long, even in liquid, it will dry out and become leather.

Meats should be added at the same time as onions, and flavorings, and the whole pot covered and simmered over very love heat, or baked in a slow oven of 2oo degrees or so, or cooking in a slow cooker at low cooking temp.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North.

When soaking the beans overnight, (especially in summer) it is recommended to keep it in the refrigerator. If the water is too warm they might ferment and have an unpleasant smell.

When soaking the beans overnight, (especially in summer) it is recommended to keep it in the refrigerator. If the water is too warm they might ferment and have an unpleasant smell.

This so true. But since I was always baking mine, I never made them in the summer like my mother and ancestors did. Saturday night beans was and to some degree here in New England, still is in force. And now that I live alone, I never make them anymore. :angel:

I bought some fresh pinto bean, and I was disappointed to notice that still it required one hour to cook them, and no difference in the taste either. I boil them with fresh sage and fresh garlic cloves.
Since the subject of home economy has come up, here a good tip: boil a large pot of beans. let them cool off, use what you need and freeze the rest in individual bags. They defrost quickly under cold water. Excellent for a bean salad...

Attachments

• fagioli 004.jpg
    fagioli 004.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 200
This so true. But since I was always baking mine, I never made them in the summer like my mother and ancestors did. Saturday night beans was and to some degree here in New England, still is in force. And now that I live alone, I never make them anymore. :angel:

Have you posted a recipe for your Saturday night New England beans? If you did I missed it.

Would love to get it!!:chef:

I'm eating beans a lot these days. Cold bean-based salads in the summer.

Have you posted a recipe for your Saturday night New England beans? If you did I missed it.

No I haven't. But I will be happy to do it tomorrow. Right now I am going to be headed to bed. I had a huge supper at Belle Isle Diner of Fried Clams with a pile of onion rings. I don't like FF. So they gave me extra rings. And for taking home is a huge Lobster Roll sitting in my fridge for my lunch tomorrow. :angel:

I'd love Addie's Boston baked bean recipe too.

Thank you to all of you who have shown an interest in my Boston Baked Beans recipe. I promise I will definitely post it tomorrow. Tonight I am just too tired.

I have never had anyone interested in my cooking like this. But them I live in an area of the country where we all were raised on the same foods. I feel very honored for so much interest in my beans.

Good night. See you all tomorrow. :angel:

Okay, the recipe is over in the grains, beans, etc. forum. Any questions, I will gladly answer. I have never had a written recipe. So it is all from memory of watching my mother and doing it myself. :angel:

No I haven't. But I will be happy to do it tomorrow. Right now I am going to be headed to bed. I had a huge supper at Belle Isle Diner of Fried Clams with a pile of onion rings. I don't like FF. So they gave me extra rings. And for taking home is a huge Lobster Roll sitting in my fridge for my lunch tomorrow. :angel:

Mmmmm

Belle Isle rocks!!

Mmmmm

Belle Isle rocks!!

That is where all the chefs of Boston go for their seafood. And to think I can get there when I have the money on my scooter. About five minutes from my door. My daughter spent over $100 for just the three of us last night. Well worth every cent. Everyone should have a Belle Isle in their life. They were really crowded last night. While we stood in line to give our order, Deech went into the dining room, saw a table with two folks just sitting there enjoying the last of their drink and stared them down into leaving. We were going to sit out on the deck. Two cold and windy. And it was overcast. No sunset to see. And then there is the bakery next door.

On one side of the bridge is Winthrop Harbor and the other side are two mating swans that return every year. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom