"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 06-01-2008, 07:56 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Bean ideas?

I'm looking to up the bean intake in my family. One reason is my wife is reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and wants to cut out supermarket meats. Another reason is they are cheap and nutritious, plus we now get a little bit each month from WIC. Third, I really like them.

The problem is my wife doesn't like beans, primarily the texture, whether too mushy or too mealy (she also doesn't like rice for texture reasons, sigh!). So I'm ISO of ways to work with beans in a way she might like. That might mean using certain kinds of beans that are, say, less bean-y than most - she does like fresh edamame after all - or recipes/ways of cooking where it isn't so obvious - like hummus, which she finds okay. Maybe some ideas for lentils too? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Master Chef

make a batch of pinto beans and puree them (like refried beans but without 3 thousand calories inherent in lard) add chopped tomatos, onions, and avocado, topped with shredded cheese and sour cream.......if calories are being counted you can use low fat cheese and fat free sour cream.......buy some tortillas and heat them and load those bambinos up....if you like a little zippo then by all means add some jalapenos as well

Old 06-01-2008, 12:47 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Falafel are also a good way to incorporate beans. Most recipes call for the processing of fava beans and garbanzo beans with onion, parsley and a variety of spices such as cumin, etc. This mixture is formed into patties or balls and fried until crisp on the outside. They are then served with pita bread and a variety of condiments like tomato, parsley, hot peppers, tahini sauce, and whatever else you like. If you'd like I can find some fairly traditional recipes for you on the web. I am of Lebanese descent so I can recognize a "traditional" recipe when I see it. I wing it when I make this but I have a feel for the ingredients and how much to use so that won't help you.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Another way to consume beans is as a dip. You have traditional hummus made with garbanzo beans, lemon juice and tahini sauce. You can also substitute other forms of beans such as black beans for the hummus. You can give it a southwest flair by incorporating cilantro and jalapenos! Goes great with either pita chips or pita bread.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
Executive Chef

How about a vegetarian chili made with lentils? I make one that even the carnivores love. All the taste of chili, without the meat.

Tags
None