"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Pouring out the soaking water may not be the best idea: http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/09/s...beans-faq.html

Old 11-24-2014, 10:52 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Pouring out the soaking water may not be the best idea: So You Like Flavor? Don't Soak Your Black Beans! | Serious Eats
I have never cooked black beans. Only navy beans for Boston Baked Beans. And every recipe I have ever read said to toss the soaking water. Actually there really isn't that much water to toss anyway. A whole bag of beans can soak up a lot of water.

Old 11-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Pouring out the soaking water may not be the best idea: So You Like Flavor? Don't Soak Your Black Beans! | Serious Eats
Kenji says not to soak them at all, so there wouldn't be any water to pour out.

Plus Kenji is comparing beans which are not soaked at all with beans which are cooked in their soaking liquid. In both cases, he's ingesting the dissolved olgiosaccarides which give people gas and other digestive issues with beans.

People throw away bean soaking and cooking water because the water makes them fart or have stomach issues.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:43 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess I misremembered the article. I figure the advice would work with any kind of beans, though.

Addie, old recipes aren't always the best. Times, ingredients, equipment and desired results change. It's not a bad thing to try a new way once in a while.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I have always thrown out the soaking water. But today I looked in my bean bible, an old pamphlet put out by the Michigan bean commission 40 years ago, and they make no mention of discarding the soaking water. I was surprised. A few recipes mention draining the cooked beans but always reserving the liquid. I will gingerly try keeping the soaking water next time I make (pinto) beans, which is a weekly chore now days.

uh-oh, I see now the bean commission is currently recommending discarding the soaking water

Michigan Bean Commission | COOKING TIPS
Old 11-24-2014, 05:32 PM   #16
Head Chef

Thanks to all for your sharing your knowledge and experience. There are at least two conversations going on. My original post had to do with the liquid after beans were fully cooked and that was what I called bean stock. I think the discussion of the soak water before cooking is another question. Actually I think the necessity, or even utility, of presoaking beans is debatable, let alone the question of disposal, or not, of the remaining liquid. I don't have hard opinions on the matter. Consensus is that it is usually not recomended for split peas, lentils or other small legumes, but usually recomended for "normal" beans, like those larger navy or pintos.

Sometimes I presoak, quick or overnight, sometimes not. I never save that water. Maybe I'm throwing out some nutrition, and I'm willing to change if convinced, but the liquid remaining after cooking is different. You know it's nutrient dense just by the look and feel of the stuff. Plus it deglazes just like any other stock, and most importantly, it tastes good and improves the flavor of almost anything it's added to.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:29 AM   #17
Master Chef

The cooking water or broth can make you gassy and irritate your bowels unless you soaked and tossed the soaking water several times. Some people are susceptible to that and others are not.

That and lack of space is why I toss the cooking water (unless I'm making soup).
Old 11-25-2014, 11:58 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
The cooking water or broth can make you gassy and irritate your bowels unless you soaked and tossed the soaking water several times. Some people are susceptible to that and others are not.

That and lack of space is why I toss the cooking water (unless I'm making soup).
There is a reason they call beans the "musical fruit!"
Old 11-25-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is a reason they call beans the "musical fruit!"
Beans are merely musical for me, while sunchokes are the full-on Boston Pops!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:15 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I think it's because the gaseousness (is that a word?) has long been believed to be in the bean water/stock, and discarding it has long been thought to reduce the musical side effects. I rinse my canned black beans, but apparently it's not necessary.
Gaseousness is a word I have been known to use on occasion...so it's a word!

Tags
other, stock