Beans, Beans, the musical fruit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With all of this knowledge comming at me, I remember the old saw quite well that states something like this; On the mountain of knowledge, as you climb ever higher into its lofty slopes, you become ever more aware of the limitless knowledge that still awaits you.:mrgreen: Thanks for clearing the air.:ROFLMAO:

Oh, I almost forgot. I was inspired by the bean recipes so I made a pot of legume soup myself tonight. It came out pretty good but with just a bit too much salt. The legume combination worked very well though. Here's my entry into the bean soup category.

Ingredients:
3/4 cup dried black beans
3/4 cup dried orange lentils
1 cup green spit peas, dried
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 lb. smoked ham, cubed

Cover beans and letils in water, bring to a boil, turn off heat, cover, and let sit 20 minutes. Drain and fill pan with fresh water to cover the beans and lentils. Add split peas. Add enough water to cover the legumes plus an inch. Bring to a boil and simmer until the bens are tender.

Add another 2 cups of water. Boil another ten minutes. Add 1 whole, grated carot to the mix and cook until the carrot is tender. Blend with your handy-dandy imersion blender, boat motor, or whatever you like to call the thing, until all is smooth. Add onion and ham. simmer until the onion is tender. Correct the seasoning with S&P.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
I hear Beano works very well to prevent the gaseous aspects of the beans. It's available over the counter. Beano provides the natural enzymes that the body lacks to digest the oligosaccharides.

Last edited:
Andy M. said:
I hear Beano works very well to prevent the gaseous aspects of the beans. It's available over the counter. Beano provides the natural enzymes that the body lacks to digest the oligosaccharides.

Yes, Beano can be effective in relief of flatulence resulting from consumption of beans, legumes, onions, grains, cabbage and other foods, however, Beano tablets contain gelatin which is an animal product and is not consistent with a vegetarian or vegan diet. The active ingredient in Beano is an anti-gas enzyme called alpha-galactosidase which is derived from food grade mold called Aspergillus Niger. There are other products which contain this same enzyme which contain no animal products and are much, much cheaper. One such product can be found at:

http://www.bean-zyme.com/Bean-zyme same as Beano info.htm#Howhttp://www.bean-zyme.com/Bean-zyme%20same%20as%20Beano%20info.htm#How

Note: I don't have any financial interest or relationship with this company or product.

Aurora:

Have you looked into the Beano liquid? It may not contain gelatin. You just put a few drops on your first spoonful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom