"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have to laugh at this one ... lasagna is one of those dishes that is never-the-same-twice in my kitchen. I've used both ricotta and cottage cheese -- i find the latter easier to use but both delicious. The other day I was making a lasagna for a freind who was laid up after a slip on the ice, and I'd forgotten to buy either. I also "cheated" and used a tomato product that is sweeter than my usual favorite (tomatoes from the garden if I'm lucky, but mostly I like chopped tomatoes in tomato puree). I also happened to come across a block of basil, garlic and olive oil I'd frozen from last summer and tossed that in. the cheeses were asiago, parmesan (yes, the good $$ stuff) and pecorino. Ground beef and turkey, because that was what was in the freezer. One year I threw a three-lasgna party and it was a huge hit. One was traditional made with Italian sausage, one was shellfish, and the third was vegan ... now there's a challenge, a lasagna without cheese. Somehow I pullled it off. I've bought the Barilla "boil-less" lasagna noodles and they do make it easy, although I still prefer the texture of the regular. One thing nice, though, is with the kind you don't need to boil first, if your sauce is a little runny it is GOOD for the end result, all those juices soak right into the pasta.

Old 04-10-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

:) I've made lasagne 3 times from the same recipe and it hasn't taste the same twice!

eveenend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:26 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Sauce:

1 small diced onion
2 cans of peeled whole tomatoes (then crushed) (not ready made sauce or puree!)
salt to taste
approx 250g chicken mince (can be excluded but doesn't taste as good)
Oil (preferably olive oil)
approx half cup Hot Water (depends how dry the sauce is looking - u don't want it too dry!)

Fry the mince until the water dries on high heat, put a small about of oil in the bottom and add the onion - fry until chicken goes slightly brown.
Add the crushed tomatoes, stir and add hot water to make it a little more liduidy (sp).
Bring to the boil - allow to simmer for approx 50 mins - stirring every now and then.

Lasagne filling:

Approx 12 sheets of pasta ( boiled ) depends on how big your Oven Dish is (i use a big rectangle pyrex dish)
7 Boiled Eggs - Peeled and diced
300-500g Shredded Mozarella (depends how cheesy you like it, i could do the whole pack, my bf likes it heaps less cheesy) :( lol
4 Thigh fillets roughly cut up (fried in onion and touch of evoo)

Pasta Sheets:
Cook in large amount of water with a drop of oil so they don't stick together for approximately 10mins (I do about 3 at a time or they get stuck BIG TIME)

Making the Lasagne

Put sauce to cover the bottom of dish but not too much

In the Oven dish over the sauce, cover the bottom with pasta sheets approx 3 sheets or what ever it takes (My lasagne has 3 sheets per layer)
Sprinkle generously with Sauce, Shredded Cheese, Chicken pieces and boiled eggs
Put another layer of pasta (3 sheets)
Sprinkle generously with Sauce, Shredded Cheese, Chicken pieces and boiled eggs
Continue this until the lasagne is the size you want - the last layer will be of pasta, on the last layer of pasta cover it with sauce only.

Make sure the lasagne is not dry, if it is you can put some water in there (round the edges - not really recommended, but if ur sauces isn't watery enough what can u do)

Cover with foil

It takes approximately 1 hr to cook on moderate heat or until it is bubbling about :)
I normally turn mine around half way so one side doens't get mroe colour than the other (no comment on my oven ggrr)

Tags
None