"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Best Darn Lasagna. Who has a recipe?

I'm looking for an A1, highly recommended, lasagna recipe. Over the last few months I've had nothing but mediocre ones and would like to try something great! Any suggestions?

eveenend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Can you be more specific about what you want? My expertise of italian cuisine extends only as far as my palate, but I do know that there are many styles of lasagne. There are some aficionados heren that can help you with specifics.

Old 04-06-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the reply velochic. Most of the them have had spinach, which I've found adds a ton of flavor. I guess I'm looking to experiment a bit (as long as that doesn't include tossing out all the meat).
Old 04-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
Everymom

Well, as a jumping off point you could check out this thread.

I suspect there are more in the pasta section that are worth trying out. I am like most folks I think, I found what works for my family and I stick to that basic recipe. If I tried to sneak spinach into our lasagna my youngest would very quietly pick out every molecule.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I make a classic florentine primavera lasagne ...and I use no boil Italian whole wheat sheats ..Gia Russo brand (but there are others) which I like beacuse they are thin and gentle, not huge hunks of dough. You need three sauces
1) your red sauce with meat, but go lite on the meat, and use a mixture lilke meat loaf mix for taste and texture. season the meat while browning with garlic, salt, pepper, red chili flakes, even some basil.
2) you need a bechamel (2 cups worth) melt 2 tblsp butter, add 2 tblbspn flour and wisk together, slowly add 2 cups whole milk and bring to a simmer to thicken wisking all the time to prevent lumps...season with salt, nutmeg, parmesan cheese after thickening and taking off the heat.
3) you need your ricotta layer 15 oz ricotta, 1 cup grated parmesan, 2 eggs, chopped blanched spinach or kale mixed well

you also need sauteed veggies: sliced mushrooms and zucchini are nice with shallots

then layer: red sauce; pasta; ricotta mixture; red sauce; pasta; bechamel + sauteed veggies+ mozzarella; pasta; repeat layers ... you will know how many by depth of pan, size etc...but end with red sauce cheese ... bake 45 min to hour at 350 till bubbly top with parm cheese last 5 min to help brown top...
let rest 10 min before serving

remember to season gently each layer with a bit of salt and pepper and even finish with a gentle sprinkle

this is a lot of work but it is fantastic ... the depth and layers of flavor! easily feeds 6-8. can also be made veggie by not adding meat to the red sauce.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Wow. That sounds absolutely delicious!!
Old 04-06-2006, 06:10 PM   #7
Head Chef

Hi Robo your recipe sounds really good. I had two questions for you:

Where can I find the thin sheets you are talking about. I don't want to make these at home since I don't have a pasta maker.
I also find ricotta cheese a bit heavy in a lasagne. Do you think cottage cheese would be a good substitute (I use it today in the lasagne I make, my version is just basic and no where close to the one you posted).

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #8
Sous Chef

It is very late here and my brain is kind of tired so I may not make sense, but I've had "authentic" lasagne florentine (with spinach) and it had a pink sauce... that is a combination of tomato and a cream sauce (probably alfredo, although bechamel is just as likely). I don't have the recipe, but it sounds like you have your base ingredients... go experiement!!! That's the fun of cooking - making it personal. Let us know how it goes!!
Old 04-06-2006, 11:35 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Barilla, Gai Russo, and a few others make no boil lasagne sheats. they are smaller and thinner than traditional lasagne and cook up very tender if covered with sauce. Should be readily available in grocery stores.

Cottage cheese is quite different from Ricotta ... so it will be different, possibly looser, runnier. But still delicious.

My recipe began as a vegetarian dish for friends. I added meat to the sauce the next time I made it and liked it that way too. I use kale because many Italians do, I like it, and like working with it, but any dark green leafy veg would work. I'm sure I will make adaptations the next time I do it du eto availabilty of something. that's cooking!
Old 04-07-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
Contest Winner

Kitchenelf posted one of my new favourites awhile back: Asparagus Lasagna (thinking of Grumblebee here)

It's a delicious alternative to the "classic" lasagnas.

Tags
None