"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 11-09-2004, 08:38 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Hit me with your best pasta dish!

I like spaghetti. Nothing special in my recipe - pasta, mushrooms, onions, ground beef, can of tomato sauce and some seasonings ie. garlic, oregano, pepper.

I used to make lasagna on an almost monthly basis years ago. It's a good make ahead meal. Assemble it ahead of time and bake it before dinner. Sometimes I would freeze a batch but it's necessary to cover it well before freezing lest the noodles dry out.

I used to buy a lot of "boxed" macaroni and cheese. I prefer mac and cheese from scratch but my family isn't too enthusiastic about from scratch mac and cheese so I make it maybe once a year, if that.

Occasionally I make baked ziti. Just the usual with nothing spectacular in it but it's good 'though the recipe I use makes an awful lot considering we're a three-person-household now.

My husband likes "beefaroni" as he calls it. That's macaroni elbows with tomato sauce and ground beef. I usually make that when we need something made ahead.

Sometimes I make - usually in the summer when I want to make dinner ahead of time - a salad of macaroni elbows, tuna, boiled eggs, peas, a little bit of chopped onion, and mayonnaise. I thin the mayonnaise with a little bit of milk. I mix all ingredients together and sometimes I put them all on a bed of lettuce. Chill for several hours.

Old 10-03-2005, 02:12 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardge
Being that I made this dish last night, AND it was a knockout, AND it is a pasta dish, I figured I'd post it here....

OK, now.... FOR THE RECORD..... I do cook fancier pasta dishes. I'm totally into Bolognese and wicked pan sauces for my pasta. I make a Sunday gravy that is second to none. (Well, second only to my Mom's.) However, this pasta dish is just too darn good NOT to share. This is my Grandma's recipe. It is so easy, you won't believe it. It will vanish in seconds, just like it did last night.

You can cut it in 1/2, but believe me, it goes too quick that way. Trust me....

Italian Style Mac n Cheese

Here's what you'll need.

2 pounds of Rigatoni
2 sticks of unsalted butter
2 pounds (large brick) of Velveeta cheese
2, 28 oz cans of whole peeled tomatoes
6 large cloves of garlic, creamed or passed through a microplaner
4 leaves of basil, stems removed, chiffinade (bundled and sliced very thin)

Cook off the pasta in salted water. While you're waiting for it to cook, make the cheese sauce. Cube up the butter and Velveeta. Place the cubes in a large sauce pot. (My 8 quart stock pot is the perfect fit.) Stir them over low heat till they start to melt together. Hand crush the tomatoes into the butter and cheese. (I always discard the white, hard stem areas.) Pour the tomato juice in as well. Add the garlic and basil. Simmer and stir the cheese sauce till your pasta is 95% done. Turn the heat off the cheese sauce, drain the pasta, then pour the pasta directly into the cheese sauce. (This is why you need the 8 quart stock pot.) Stir to coat evenly. Make sure the burner is off. Every 3 minutes or so, stir the pasta and cheese. In 15 minutes or so, the cheese sauce will set, giving you the easiest, cheeseest, goodest, can I have 3rds please?, OMG I need this recipe, bestest, quickest pasta dish on Earth.

You can quote me on this. I wrote the recipe out three times last night. Now, I'm just gonna direct people to this link. :)

RJ
Hey Alex, here is the recipe I gave you last night in AIM. I think I am gonna make it today. Then again, I am hungry and ANYTHING sounds good right now.

RJ

Old 10-03-2005, 02:25 PM   #33
Cook

I like adding a couple of cans of drained Italian tuna in olive oil to a simple tomato sauce
(marinara) to any pasta I am in the mood for. Sometimes add mushrooms, also.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:36 PM   #34
Hospitality Queen

Ardge, thanks so much for reviving this thread!!! YUMMMMMY!

Here's mine:
My Favorite Fettucine
Old 10-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Location: USA - Chicago, Illinois ~ On a windy day, I can almost get a frisbee to Midway Airport.
Mmmmmm.... Pasta is so awesome. I think I might get a pasta tattoo.

:o)

RJ
Old 10-03-2005, 05:00 PM   #36
Hospitality Queen

...or at least you could get a tattooed pasta bowl

I'm with you, though, Ardge - pasta is my comfort food of choice!
Old 10-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #37
Master Chef

This is a really good side dish and its a great way to use up some of the extra veggies you have in your fridge.

Cook up some elbow macaroni or any other pasta salad type noodle......look on the box and it'll tell you how much to cook for the number of people you want to serve. I like my pasta noodles to have a little bite left.......I don't recommend cooking till their really squishy. Drain and rinse in cold water draining off all the excess water. Put in a big bowl and toss in some fresh veggies cut up into small pieces. I like carrots (julianed), green/red/yellow bell peppers, cucumbers and red onions. Then I toss in some crumbled fried bacon. Then I add some ranch dressing from the bottle....keep adding till you get the creaminess consistency you desire. Right before I serve it I toss in some fresh chopped tomatoes and the greens from a scallion.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #38
Executive Chef

with putanesca sauce (tomato, spicey olives, capers, anchovies, basil)

with shellfish arrabita (crushed tomato, red pepper, garlic, rosemary, safron, orange zest, wine, shrimp, clams, mussles, scallops, calamari, etc. )
Old 10-03-2005, 07:46 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
with putanesca sauce (tomato, spicey olives, capers, anchovies, basil)

with shellfish arrabita (crushed tomato, red pepper, garlic, rosemary, safron, orange zest, wine, shrimp, clams, mussles, scallops, calamari, etc. )
I've had good and bad putanesca sauce. Some were just too hot and some were just too something or other.... just not good.

When dining at an Italian place, I always try to order something with clams. Cream or tomato, seafood is the way for me.

Shellfish Arrabita.... Mmmmmmmmm.....

RJ
Old 10-03-2005, 08:04 PM   #40
Executive Chef

I have to do a Pasta Bar "action station" out in the dining room where I work. I usually put out about 15 or more different ingredients; shrimp, chicken, meatballs, calamari, scallops, broccoli/cauliflower, zucchini/yellow squash, onions and peppers, tomatoes, diced ham, peas, and I just started to put out some Kalamata olives. For sauces, my boss gives me Alfredo, Marinara, and a seafood sauce of some kind. I always bring out pesto. My boss always wondered about that, until he found out how popular it's becoming with the membership. I've also convinced many folks that the best sauce is a mix of alfredo and pesto (and yes, it's GOOD!). I have many folks come back up to me and tell me that the dish I sauteed up for them was the best they'd ever had.

Tags
None