Black Beans won't soften

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Almost all of the recipes I've done with dried beans requires overnight soaking. So far has always worked for me. My problem is I'm the type of cook who sees a recipe and wants to do it NOW. By the time I get back from the store, I've either lost the recipe, don't even remember what they were for or have found 3 others that sound wonderful..... what to do .... what to do..... what to do!

I used to think that salt was the culprit... never realizing that the tomatoes were the real villans.

Did you boil them in salted water? I was told as a young woman that salt in the initial cooking would make them hard.

As someone said the beans may have been old.

Did you boil them in salted water? I was told as a young woman that salt in the initial cooking would make them hard.

Yup - this has been my experience. Soak them overnight, cook them and wait until nearly the end of cooking to season... even old beans will soften.

Salting early is fine and a preferred way to season.

As has been discussed above the salt thing is a kitchen myth

I soak my beans in salt water now.

...It's good to buy beans at places with high turnover. I try to buy my dry black beans at hispanic markets or supermarkets with significant hispanic clientle. ...
Me too. While you're there get some espazote to throw in the pot. They say it helps with the gas. I dunno but adds a little flavor and they keep in the freezer.

Re. salt: always used to add at the beginning; now I don't but that's more to do with blood pressure.

Here's a great article that explores some of the common bean myths.

Common Bean Myths | The captious vegetarian

For what it's worth, I soak beans overnight in salted water (kind of like brining them). The next morning, I replace the soaking liquid with fresh water and add some salt at the beginning of cooking. Using this method, I've found black beans take about an hour and a half to cook completely. I should add that we also have soft water.

I am having the same problem right now with some kidney beans. I have had them for a while, so they might be old. Beans are cheap, so I don't mind if I have to throw them out. I will give them a little more time.

I just made a small pot of black beans last night for a black bean slider recipe I was trying out.

I sorted and rinsed them and then put them in the pot and covered 2 inches with water and boiled with NOTHING else but the water. Then after an hour I drained and rinsed them again and put them back in the pot and did the process over again. After another hour they were perfect. It was my 2nd time cooking black beans and they came out way better than they did the first time I cooked them in my slow cooker. :)

Back
Top Bottom