"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #11
Executive Chef

@ Riversurf,

This is novel, new and a rarity to an Italian ( me ) ...

However, I trust Luca as he is 100% and I am 50% Italian ...

Kindest and Good Luck with Your Pastas.

Margi Cintrano.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

You mean leaving the pot covered?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
Executive Chef

River Surf,

Yes, it is a rarity to leave the lid on during the boiling of pastas.

I have never seen this before and I am publishing journalist and Food, Wine & Travel Editor ...

However, letīs say, if the pasta is divine --- you are going to set a trend perhaps !

Kind regards and thanks for note.
Margi Cintrano.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
Head Chef

For most purposes, adding oil to pasta water is a poor solution. Pasta and sauce dishes depend on the sauce adhering to the pasta. Oil on the surface defeats that. sauce won't stick. Obviously, if the pasta is simply dressed with olive oil and spices, that's no problem But it's bad news with tomato sauces.

The boil over is caused by the starches released from the pasta. It allows the water to form and hold lots of small bubbles, and the increased surface tension prevents them from popping quickly. So a foam is formed and "boils over" before the bubbles can pop.

A "pot minder" ("milk minder," "pot watcher) may be the solution to pasta and other boil overs. It's like an upside down saucer, except that the underside slopes upward toward one spot in the edge where there's a gap or spout. Bubbles that form under the minder join to become larger bubble before they escape via the spout, and they rise quickly and pop because they are too big to survive.

There's an added bonus in the situation here where a lid is required to keep the temperature up. The minder rattles on the bottom when the water is boiling, so you don't have to wonder what's happening under the lid.

They are inexpensive.

Amazon.com: Stainless Steel Pot Watcher: Home & Kitchen

Or just put a saucer upside down in the bottom of the pot.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Riversurf,

Margi Cintrano.
Margi, he is having problem with his stove, as he mentioned above, he has posted and we had I think 3 pages discussion about it. The stove/burner doesn't produce enough heat to boil the water in the uncovered pot, thus is the question of covering the pot during cooking to keep the water boiling.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:33 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
@ Riversurf,

However, I trust Luca as he is 100% and I am 50% Italian ...

Kindest and Good Luck with Your Pastas.

Margi Cintrano.
Thanks Margi!

Boiling pasta with the lid on is, indeed, a rarity because it is a practice not in use in Italy, and to publish that answer of mine I had to make some thorough research and reasoning. You don't want to destroy your online reputation on a humble lid...

Ciao
Old 04-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
So, GLC, that thing goes into the pot, at the bottom?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 PM   #18
Head Chef

I believe your burners need an air ajustment. As far as heating your pasta water, keep the lid on till the water boils then remove the lid. You want to simmer the pasta anyway and not keep it at a boil! Don't add oil to the water. After the pasta is cooked you can add butter to it and this will help your sauce "stick".
Old 04-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

Technician came out and said it's working as it should and the gas pressure checks out. My opinion is that the range is just poorly designed (Frigidaire) and a huge amount of heat energy does not reach the pot. The top of the flame doesn't even lick the bottom of the grate because it's so high off the deck, and we're talking about a 13.5K BTU burner. In comparison, the flame from the biggest burner reaches the pot and does the job wonderfully. Those big, "professional looking" grates are probably a big part of the problem because they're so high off the deck.

On your other comment about simmering, I've never heard that pasta should be simmered. Water that is simmering is not at boiling point, but at 190-200 degrees F.

Thanks for weighing in. I really have gotten a lot more than I ever expected from this forum.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
So, GLC, that thing goes into the pot, at the bottom?
Yes. Try it by laying a saucer upside down in the bottom with something that would normally want to boil over. It will collect bubbles that will consolidate into large bubbles like those that form in plain water that will burp out from under the saucer and rise to burst on the surface. The idea is that even with the increased surface tension created by pasta starch or milk, regular size bubbles will still burst promptly, and the foam of fine bubbles that cause boil-over won't form.

I will point out, too, that we had a discussion a while back about heat transfer and the rapidity of boiling, and the point was that the water remained at the boiling point temperature and could rise no higher. Increased heat transfer caused more rapid boiling, which was conversion of more liquid to vapor, but the water temperature stayed the same.

So the actual cooking of pasta is as rapid in barely boiling water as in rapidly boiling. However, the rapid boil may somewhat take the place of some of the stirring needed to keep pasta from sticking to itself. But the "rapid boil" called for in boiling pasta is important only in the beginning, when the pasta is dropped in, so that as much heat is being transferred as possible, and the water returns quickly to a boil. Rapid boiling and the attendant increased tendency to boil over is not necessary and cooks no faster.

Tags
pasta, techniques