Boiling Pasta with the Lid on

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes. Try it by laying a saucer upside down in the bottom with something that would normally want to boil over. It will collect bubbles that will consolidate into large bubbles like those that form in plain water that will burp out from under the saucer and rise to burst on the surface. The idea is that even with the increased surface tension created by pasta starch or milk, regular size bubbles will still burst promptly, and the foam of fine bubbles that cause boil-over won't form.

I will point out, too, that we had a discussion a while back about heat transfer and the rapidity of boiling, and the point was that the water remained at the boiling point temperature and could rise no higher. Increased heat transfer caused more rapid boiling, which was conversion of more liquid to vapor, but the water temperature stayed the same.

So the actual cooking of pasta is as rapid in barely boiling water as in rapidly boiling. However, the rapid boil may somewhat take the place of some of the stirring needed to keep pasta from sticking to itself. But the "rapid boil" called for in boiling pasta is important only in the beginning, when the pasta is dropped in, so that as much heat is being transferred as possible, and the water returns quickly to a boil. Rapid boiling and the attendant increased tendency to boil over is not necessary and cooks no faster.
Thank you for once again making a great post with excellent explanations.

Yes. Try it by laying a saucer upside down in the bottom with something that would normally want to boil over. It will collect bubbles that will consolidate into large bubbles like those that form in plain water that will burp out from under the saucer and rise to burst on the surface. The idea is that even with the increased surface tension created by pasta starch or milk, regular size bubbles will still burst promptly, and the foam of fine bubbles that cause boil-over won't form.

I will point out, too, that we had a discussion a while back about heat transfer and the rapidity of boiling, and the point was that the water remained at the boiling point temperature and could rise no higher. Increased heat transfer caused more rapid boiling, which was conversion of more liquid to vapor, but the water temperature stayed the same.

So the actual cooking of pasta is as rapid in barely boiling water as in rapidly boiling. However, the rapid boil may somewhat take the place of some of the stirring needed to keep pasta from sticking to itself. But the "rapid boil" called for in boiling pasta is important only in the beginning, when the pasta is dropped in, so that as much heat is being transferred as possible, and the water returns quickly to a boil. Rapid boiling and the attendant increased tendency to boil over is not necessary and cooks no faster.

Perfect. Thanks GLC!

If the flame is not reaching the pot, it would take forever to get water boiling. Can you replace the grate with a different one that will lower the pot to the flame?

I would love to find a lower grate that fits, and that's the hard part - one that actually fits. I've even imagined some way to grind down the entire grate from the bottom up, but that's not practical for me.

I would love to find a lower grate that fits, and that's the hard part - one that actually fits. I've even imagined some way to grind down the entire grate from the bottom up, but that's not practical for me.

Have you contacted the manufacturer?

Cooktops/Stovetops - Frigidaire

They may have the solution you are looking for. Thisd is the site for the company. They have a "contact us" at the top.

It sounds like the back burner is a "Low Simmer" burner. This is common on a lot of gas stoves. :)

Last edited:
I contact Frigidaire. All they did was tell me I had to contact one of their "certified" technicians, all of whom are independent fix-it shops. I called one and they sent a technician, who told me everything looked OK. Though I have to say his demeanor and what seemed like an almost complete lack of interest didn't exactly instill me with confidence. So I really can't think of any other options. Just an all around unpleasant experience with Frigidaire.

The burner I'm talking about isn't the "simmer" burner, it's a 13,500 BTU (supposedly) burner.

I'm sure your past will cook just fine without the lid after you take it of, when rapid boiling will start. As far as your stove goes, why don't you write a letter to the company, express your frustration. Why did you call them earlier, didn't you see that it is not working proparly before waranty expire?

Riversurf, everyone has a boss and I can assure you that whoever you talked to at Frididaire would not want to deal with me or many others here. :mad:

You need to call them again and ask for the direct phone number/email addy for the Director of Public Relations at Frididaire, and don't let some low level phone person give you any lip. Refer the Director of Public Relations to this thread and your previous thread about this problem. I can assure you they can solve the problem, and will do nearly anything to avoid bad public reviews of their product. Don't give up!

Many stoves in a company's product line share some of the same parts. For example, the top on your stove (where the grates sit) could be shared with several models, including some lower priced ones that have lower profile grates.

It may take some effort to get them to dig it out for you but you should be able to get what you need.

Riversurf, everyone has a boss and I can assure you that whoever you talked to at Frididaire would not want to deal with me or many others here. :mad:

You need to call them again and ask for the direct phone number/email addy for the Director of Public Relations at Frididaire, and don't let some low level phone person give you any lip. Refer the Director of Public Relations to this thread and your previous thread about this problem. I can assure you they can solve the problem, and will do nearly anything to avoid bad public reviews of their product. Don't give up!

Excellent advice because if I were ever shopping for a new stove I would steer clear of this one!

You're right Andy/. If you go to the referenced site in my post to her, you will see that a lot of the models have the same measurements for the same sizetops. Some of them have a raised grate, and others the same size have a flat grate. It looks like the rounded raised top grate could be switched off with a flat raised top grate. The measurements are the same for the 36" tops and the 32" tops. I looked at the spec sheets for each one, and the measurements on them are almost identical except for the rounded and flat top part of the grates. It also looks like the burner in the back is the simmer burner. Start your work on the front burner and slide it to the back for simmer. The BTUs are different for each burner. They are designed with specific jobs in mind. Boiling pasta is not a simmer job. Pasta sauce is. A simmer burner is meant for sauces, stews, and soups.

Take a looksee and you will see what I mean. :)

It's still under warranty. As far as the rapid boil (actually marked that way on the control dial) that's just not going to happen with an uncovered lid.

It would be great (pun intended) if I could switch it out with a lower one. I'll mention that in my email to them (have to go through their website, haven't found any direct emails to PR yet) and when I call their customer "service" line again.

Could you please give me that website address you refer to ("If you go to the referenced site in my post to her, you will see that a lot of the models have the same measurements for the same sizetops...") I can't find it amongst all the posts in this string.

Thanks

Don't mess with PR. Go to the highest accessible corporate person responsible for appliances. Electrolux owns Frigidaire, so it's:

Kevin Scott
Head of Major Appliances North America, Executive Vice-President
Kevin.Scott@electrolux.com
866-449-4200

Don't assume it won't get to him. Many people who email executives are surprised to hear from the executive, and not just from a minion. Remember he hasn't heard your story before. So you have to begin at the beginning and recount everything you've tried and experienced.

I would also make a point of mentioning that it's been the subject of a long running discussion here, with a lot of active cooks interested in the problem.

I honestly don't know what you can reasonably expect, but whatever they're going to be inclined to do, this guy has the stroke to do something substantial.

That email is about a year old. If it bounces, go to the alternates. Our you can CC: all three. But Mr. Scott is directly responsible for U.S. appliances.

Carina Malmgren Heander
Senior Vice-President, Human Resources and Organizational Development
Carina.MalmgrenHeander@electrolux.com
+46 8 738 60 00

Keith McLoughlin
President and Chief Executive Officer
Keith.McLoughlin@electrolux.com
866-449-4200

Don't mess with PR. Go to the highest accessible corporate person responsible for appliances. Electrolux owns Frigidaire, so it's:

Kevin Scott
Head of Major Appliances North America, Executive Vice-President
Kevin.Scott@electrolux.com
866-449-4200

Don't assume it won't get to him. Many people who email executives are surprised to hear from the executive, and not just from a minion. Remember he hasn't heard your story before. So you have to begin at the beginning and recount everything you've tried and experienced.

I would also make a point of mentioning that it's been the subject of a long running discussion here, with a lot of active cooks interested in the problem.

I honestly don't know what you can reasonably expect, but whatever they're going to be inclined to do, this guy has the stroke to do something substantial.

That email is about a year old. If it bounces, go to the alternates. Our you can CC: all three. But Mr. Scott is directly responsible for U.S. appliances.

Carina Malmgren Heander
Senior Vice-President, Human Resources and Organizational Development
Carina.MalmgrenHeander@electrolux.com
+46 8 738 60 00

Keith McLoughlin
President and Chief Executive Officer
Keith.McLoughlin@electrolux.com
866-449-4200

:clap: Kudo's to you GLC for doing the research, and I couldn't agree more.
My reason for recommending the Director of Public Relations is because of some excellent results I had many years ago with the DPR for Ford Motor Company. My car had just gone out of warranty when it needed some very costly repairs that I simply could not afford. To make a long story short, I finally got his phone number and I think he felt so sorry for me after he heard my desperate and tearful story, that he told me to take it to the dealer to be fixed at no charge. That was some 40 years ago, and I've never forgotten that talking to the right person can change everything.

Hats off to you for digging up that information, I assure you I'll use it. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom