"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-19-2015, 01:57 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Those are "New England" baked beans. They are made in Maine.

You mean like the New England Patriots as opposed to the Boston Patriots?

Old 07-19-2015, 08:51 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
You mean like the New England Patriots as opposed to the Boston Patriots?
They don't play in Boston, and New England Patriots sounds better than the Foxborough Patriots, don't you think?

Old 07-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
Makes me happy that I wouldn't be making it in Boston.
Old 07-19-2015, 10:50 AM   #24
Head Chef

Addie Thanks for posting your recipe.
I will try it soon.

Josie
Old 07-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
now, on to the brown bread.... metal coffee cans are hard to come by now-a-days. can't believe we're all still alive after making brown bread contained in all those poisons (yeah, right....) but regardless -

I don't have a decent BBB recipe - Addie - can you post your approach?
I promise to strip the paint off the can before I bake it, honest!
This recipe uses 14.5-ounce tomato cans to make smaller loaves more quickly: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...own-bread.html
Old 07-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
They don't play in Boston, and New England Patriots sounds better than the Foxborough Patriots, don't you think?
The Buffalo Bills don't play in Buffalo, the San Francisco 49ers don't play in San Francisco, and the New York Giants don't even play in the STATE of New York. So, what's in a name?
Old 07-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

When the Patriots (the Super Bowl Champion Patriots) built their stadium in Foxborough, they could have continued to go with the Boston Patriots but chose to change to the New England Patriots to acknowledge the extent of their fan base.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
When the team was first formed as part of the brand spanking new AFL, they were called the Boston Patriots. They didn't even have a field or stadium of their own to play in.

Boston is the largest city in all of New England. I know several folks from out of state, who come all the way to Boston to shop. As a result, we Bostonians are only to willing to share our sports teams with the other five states. And we do have a Red Sox farm team in Rhode Island, the RS sponsors minor league teams and franchises throughout New England. That goes for the Patriots doing the same with Pop Warner football for both the kids and older ones bordering on adulthood.

BTW, did you know that Montpelier, Capital of Vermont is the smallest state capital in the whole nation?

The six New England states tend to think as a whole as one. Although Connecticut, being a bit more wealthier than the other five states, likes to associate and assimilate themselves to New York City than the rest of New England. The only two things they have for bragging rights is that they have the highest income per capita and Hartford is the insurance capital of the country. Since they feel that their money talks, they can be a bit snooty and uppity at times. There used to be a NHL team called the Hartford Whalers. The residents of Conn. I guess thought it was a sport for ruffians and failed to support the team. They went bankrupt.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #29
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

This is pretty similar to the bean recipe that was taught to my dad by his dad. My grandfather as a young teen worked as a cook in logging camps where he learned to make beans. In Maine, Yelloweye beans are the most popular, they are a little too large for my taste, I preferred pea beans (i'm not sure if that's an actual variety, or something that Mainers call them.)

I don't have a bean pot, so I make mine in a slow cooker. I will confiscate my grandfather's bean pot from my mom when she's done with it some day.

Bean hole beans are a big tradition in Maine. It's kind of a cool tradition. Dig a hole, build a fire, put in a sealed pot of beans and bury it. Lot's of church suppers do it this way.

A few years ago while home in the summer, we went to the annual Riverdriver's Supper. It's an event where they make bean hole beans, biscuits in reflector ovens and lots of goodies made by local people. Back when trees were harvested and sent down the rivers to mills, these camps would be set up to feed the men moving the logs down the river. This is kind of a cool way to connect to the past while eating your baked bean dinner by the river. Beans are a big deal in Maine too

Here are the reflector ovens baking the biscuits.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:26 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Here are the reflector ovens baking the biscuits.

I don't see a picture.

Tags
beans, dark brown sugar, molasses, salt pork