"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-19-2015, 08:46 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Can't see your pic either, BC.

Cool story though!

Old 07-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Pea beans are Navy beans. Or the small ones if you prefer. Think B&M beans.

Old 07-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #33
Executive Chef

I used to think the B & M stood for....oh never mind.

I have never made home made baked beans because I can't find my mother's recipe, but this one sounds just like it, Addie, so I'll try it. I just don't know who's going to be eating all those baked beans.

When I want to cook something for a long time and don't want to heat up the oven I light the right side of the grill, put the food to be cooked on the left side, and close the lid. I think that would work with the beans. I have a small oven thermometer that I can use to check the temperature.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:34 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

I have never made home made baked beans because I can't find my mother's recipe, but this one sounds just like it, Addie, so I'll try it. I just don't know who's going to be eating all those baked beans.

When I want to cook something for a long time and don't want to heat up the oven I light the right side of the grill, put the food to be cooked on the left side, and close the lid. I think that would work with the beans. I have a small oven thermometer that I can use to check the temperature.
Carol, buy just a small pkg. of beans. Adjust the recipe accordingly. And buy extra TP.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #35
Master Chef

Carol,

You can take that a step further and start with drained and rinsed canned beans, add the water, seasonings, salt pork, etc... bake as directed. I would estimate that a pound of dried beans would be about the same as three 15.5 ounce cans of plain small white beans.

Just don't tell the folks in Boston!

Old 07-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Carol,

You can take that a step further and start with drained and rinsed canned beans, add the water, seasonings, salt pork, etc... bake as directed. I would estimate that a pound of dried beans would be about the same as three 15.5 ounce cans of plain small white beans.
Since canned beans are already cooked, you wouldn't have to bake them for seven hours, either. One hour should do it.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #37
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post

I use a pound of dry beans every time and always have leftovers.

They freeze beautifully!!! I'm always psyched to pull some out of the freezer for a hot summer's night burger dinner.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:13 PM   #38
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Since canned beans are already cooked, you wouldn't have to bake them for seven hours, either. One hour should do it.

Very true. But they won't taste nearly as good.

That's the dilemma...

I suggest making Addie's recipe and freezing the leftovers.
Old 07-21-2015, 08:54 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Very true. But they won't taste nearly as good.

That's the dilemma...

I suggest making Addie's recipe and freezing the leftovers.
Yeah. Sorry. I don't agree with that. The process for cooking canned beans is just like cooking dried beans but on a larger scale.

From http://www.slate.com/articles/health...est_beans.html

Quote:
Canned beans, on the other hand, go through several additional steps of processing. First, they have to be hydrated, which either happens with a long, room-temperature soak or a relatively brief, hot bath. (The latter requires more energy but is often preferred because it cuts down on time and labor and helps prevent bacterial growth.) Then the beans are blanched for a few minutes before being sealed in cans and then cooked and sterilized in a retort—a machine that's essentially a big, steam-powered pressure cooker.
I've been making this recipe and it's delicious - sweet, savory, a little bit of bite from the mustard and smoke from the bacon Just as good as my former stepfather's mother's recipe that was like Addie's. And it's easier on the environment.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ked-beans.html
Old 07-21-2015, 09:11 PM   #40
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yeah. Sorry. I don't agree with that. The process for cooking canned beans is just like cooking dried beans but on a larger scale. ...

I've been making this recipe and it's delicious - sweet, savory, a little bit of bite from the mustard and smoke from the bacon Just as good as my former stepfather's mother's recipe that was like Addie's. And it's easier on the environment...
While the canned beans may be cooked similar to slow cooked BBB, the canned beans haven't had the benefit of slow cooking with all those other BBB ingredients.

That food network recipe is doctoring canned pork and beans. It is no doubt a tasty dish, but cannot match a slow cooked BBB recipe.

Tags
beans, dark brown sugar, molasses, salt pork