Boston Baked Beans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really like bean dishes made from "scratch". There are so many great recipes. I'll be adding Addie's to our cookbook. Cuban style black beans are so much better from "scratch" when time allows, but canned black beans can be very tasty as well, given the proper doctoring!;)

There is a reason why sites like DC and others are so popular. We all hail scratch cooking while promoting healthy cooking from prepared foods as well. I have had a lot of friends that can doctor a can of beans and their families love them.

Like you Craig. I love scratch beans. But now the family is grown and moved into their own lives. So a small can of beans does it for me. Nothing wrong with doctoring. :angel:

The Bush's canned Boston Recipe does not need doctoring, IMO. I don't care for any of their other ones.

I am with you on that Carol. There are some canned beans that no matter what you do or how you doctor them, they are still vile tasting. There is one brand (I think it is Heinz) that has a tomato base and it is for vegans. No meat flavor at all. I can't even stand to just look at them.

But Bush's beans need no doctoring at all or in any manner. I don't even put ketchup on mine. I open the can that has been in the fridge for a couple of days, grab a spoon and eat them right out of the can. Nice and cold. Occasionally if I have some dark bread in the house, I will make a half sandwich. Reminds me of my school days when my mother would send me to school on a Monday with a bean sandwich. And I wasn't the only one. Most of the kids in the school had bean sandwiches on a Monday. :angel:

Is that a one-pound bag of beans?

Sorry, I was just going over the whole thread and saw your question. Yes, it is a one pound bag of small (Navy) beans. If you want to make less, just adjust the recipe and cut the ingredients in half.

I apologize for not seeing your question earlier. :angel:

But Bush's beans need no doctoring at all

Addie, I don't like all Bush's beans, just the ones that specifically say Boston Recipe. They are hard to find around here. Only a few stores carry them. I'll bet they are easily found in Boston. LOL

The Heinz beans that are just in tomato sauce are for diabetics and dieters who don't want the sugary sauce. I prefer the flavor of the sauce, but I rinse my serving to get the sauce off. The beans still retain the flavor from the sauce but my blood sugar doesn't go sky high from the sugar.

Addie, I don't like all Bush's beans, just the ones that specifically say Boston Recipe. They are hard to find around here. Only a few stores carry them. I'll bet they are easily found in Boston. LOL

The Heinz beans that are just in tomato sauce are for diabetics and dieters who don't want the sugary sauce. I prefer the flavor of the sauce, but I rinse my serving to get the sauce off. The beans still retain the flavor from the sauce but my blood sugar doesn't go sky high from the sugar.

In my Market Basket, they carry all of the different ones they make. But the Spanish based ones and of course "Boston Recipe" are the biggest sellers.

Every time I hear of the difficulties of what other Dietetics go through in order to enjoy the foods they like, I am so glad I have my diabetes under such good control. And I did it all with diet alone. I don't have to take any meds, eat pretty much what I want, and never have any reaction. It is one of the reasons I have lost so much weight. Mainly no carbs. But I have to admit, I am somewhat confused. If beans are so good for us, then why are beans with sauce so bad when they taste so good? :angel:

The beans are extremely healthy, but the sauce has the brown sugar and molasses that really spikes my blood sugar!

Addie, I think that's the rule from The Powers That Be. :mad:

If it tastes good :yum: then it's bad for you. ;)

Every so often I tell the Powers That Be where to go. I am going to eat that small can of beans. Sauce and all. It makes me happy.

I figure being happy is part of being healthy. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom