Bourbon Butternut Squash Risotto with Shiitake Mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Bourbon Butternut Squash Risotto with Shiitake Mushrooms

1 medium butternut squash
10 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
1 cup of arborio rice
1/2 cup of bourbon
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1/4 cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1 teaspoon of fresh thyme
1 diced shallot
salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Slice squash, scoop out the seeds, and rub with a tablespoon of olive oil. Put it on a roasting pan and roast for 30 to 45 minutes. It is done when the top turns light brown and it is all soft and mushy. Scoop out the cooked squash, mash it up a bit, and set aside in a bowl.

In a 2 quart pot, bring the stock to a simmer. In a 4 quart pot, on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter and oil. When it is hot, add shallots. After 1 minute, add mushrooms and thyme and cook for another 2 minutes. Add rice, salt, and pepper and stir for 1 minute.

Add the bourbon and continue to stir, until it is almost evaporated. Add enough boiling chicken stock to cover the rice completely. Add the cooked squash. Keep the heat so that the liquid bubbles briskly. Stir every minute or so and whenever the liquid drops below the rice, add more stock. If you run out of chicken stock, start using boiling water instead. After about 15-20 minutes, the risotto should be done.

Remove from heat, add another tablespoon of butter, and the cheese.

Serves 2

I like the somewhat simplistic way this is done. I will give it a go when I come back from the place that has shiatake mushrooms. Its a few miles away. Sounds fantastic!!!

Back
Top Bottom