Brown Rice Advice Please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
I don't have a rice cooker because I don't have a lot of space or need for one as I usually cook rice in the m/wave. I don't usually use brown rice but Slimming World seems to want me to so I need some info.

I usually "boil" white rice in twice its volume of water (boiled in the kettle so it's hot) in a large bowl for 10 minutes. Any advice on brown rice:water ratio and timing please. And should I add salt at the beginning or after cooking? Not that fussed about salt really so often forget to add it to things like rice or potatoes.

Same rice to water ratio but it takes a lot longer to cook. As much as 45 minutes at a simmer.

As Andy wrote, same ratio, longer simmer.

I bring mine to a boil, and turn it down to a medium boil, as opposed to a full out, steamy, very active, rolling boil. I leave it boiling like that for 7 minutes, 'cause that's what works on my stove. Anywhere from 5-10 minutes should work, depending on the stove and pot. I use enamelled cast iron.

Once the boiling time is up, I put the lid on and turn it down to a simmer. Regular brown rice usually takes 45-50 minutes of simmering. Brown basmati rice usually takes about 35 minutes of simmering, but is very forgiving of longer times.

Don't stir. When I check to see if it's done, I insert a large wooden spoon in the middle of the rice and gently push some to the side, so I can see to the bottom. I grab a few grains and taste them.

I tried cooking brown rice with no salt, but it came out a bit mushier/stickier. So, I would definitely say to add salt at the beginning. I have found that 1/4 teaspoon of salt works well for 250 ml or 500 ml of raw rice.

Tried the suggested method and it worked but I don't think I'll bother again. Didn't enjoy it very much. Back to good old white rice and to h*ll with Slimming World.

I love wholemeal bread and breakfast cereals but both wholewheat pasta and brown rice both turn me right off.

Last edited:
Mad Cook, did you rinse the rice in a colander before cooking it?

I find the texture of brown rice so much nicer than white.

Brown rice is just lovely , have you tried using some in a home made vegetable or chicken soup ? That's one of the ways I use it , I just add a couple of handfuls to a big pan of home made soup and it will thicken it nicely and it's so good for you !

Try converted brown rice. It is par-cooked and is easy to prepare in your microwave. I always add a little more water or broth than the directions recommend as well as a little olive oil and some Italian spices. While the rice is cooking in the microwave, I sauté veggies in olive oil --- examples: carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic, broccoli florets, green beans, diced tomatoes, pea pods, etc. When the rice is cooked, add it to the veggies. Season with salt and pepper and, if desired, a sprinkle of Parmesan. Excellent as a meatless meal or as a side dish.

Last edited:
Mad Cook, did you rinse the rice in a colander before cooking it?

I find the texture of brown rice so much nicer than white.
Yes. I always rinse rice to get rid of dust and any surface starch

I think I just don't like it. Must be me because others do like it.

Last edited:
I think I just don't like it. Must be me because others do like it.

You are not alone, I too do not like it, but I think I have to make a switch
Let me ask you good folks, I do have the rice cooker, no timer type. How would I cook brown rice in it? Does the cooker knows when to stop?

Back
Top Bottom