Browning rice and pasta before cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Dove

Senior Cook
I spent some time in South America a number of years back. They have a cooking practice that I never quite understood because we don't do it here in the US.

When cooking rice or pasta they brown it in a pan with some oil before adding it to the water for boiling.

Is there a reason to do this? Could it have something to do with the way food in South America is produced? Maybe its different than what we get in the US...?

i think it is just a matter of taste. never do it with pasta though only rice. i just brown it in skillet with butter. it gives a lot of flavor and a nutty taste to the rice.

That is done here in the US as well. I do it occasionally with rice. I do it less often with pasta, but when I cook Israeli couscous, which is a pasta, I brown it in oil first.

The reason to do this is the same reason we brown meat. It gives it flavor.

we cook rice pilafs & barley pilafs like that at school. makes 'em nuttier then.

I spent some time in South America a number of years back. They have a cooking practice that I never quite understood because we don't do it here in the US.

When cooking rice or pasta they brown it in a pan with some oil before adding it to the water for boiling.

Is there a reason to do this? Could it have something to do with the way food in South America is produced? Maybe its different than what we get in the US...?
I noticed a response to your posting stating not to brown pasta. I often make mushroom "risotto" using orzo instead of arborio rice. The method is the same as true risotto. In this application I find that lightly browning 1/4 to 1/3 of the rice adds a very nice additional flavor to the dish.

I sometimes brown egg noodles in the oven before boiling them. Then I toss them with butter and serve.

For pilaf, I brown angel hair in butter until both the butter and the pasta are dark brown, then I add the rice and cook that for a bit so it can absorb some fat.

The browning changes the flavor significantly.

I sometimes brown egg noodles in the oven before boiling them. Then I toss them with butter and serve.
I have never heard or thought of doing that. I made egg noodles the other day and my family wanted to know why we don't eat those more often so I said I would start making them more. I am going to try your method next time Andy. Thanks.

I have never heard or thought of doing that. I made egg noodles the other day and my family wanted to know why we don't eat those more often so I said I would start making them more. I am going to try your method next time Andy. Thanks.

That's the only way my mom ever made egg noodles.

i break up angel hair pasta and brown it with rice in a pan with butter before i make my homemade rice/roni.

How do you brown noodles in the oven? Sounds like a great idea.

Just spread them out on a cookie sheet and put them into a 350 F oven. Watch them and maybe stir them around once to ensure even browning.

Then just cook them normally and toss with some butter. A little grated parm is also good.

Browning uncooked pasta is a wonderful method of imparting flavor and visual interest. When I was a kid 45 years ago there used to be a nice little boxed product called "Iron Skillet Supper". They don't make it anymore, but I missed it. It had pasta spirals that you had to brown in a little oil, slivered almonds and a packet of spices and thickener. It was SO good. I tinkered awhile and came up with a very reasonable facsimile. I've never had any left over. I have an electric stove. For another dish, I set the heat just a smidgen over med, put a little olive oil and add any kind of pasta. Brown one side, but do not blacken it. Add chicken stock to cover and simmer. If you like, thicken with corn starch, after the pasta is done depending on how much stock you use. Add some pesto, and enjoy. Also, I like to brown vermicelli to add to fried rice. Y'all KNOW you can put ANYTHING in fried rice. Nothing like the hiss and cloud of steam when adding liquid to hot browned pasta, ya know SOMETHING wonderful is happening!

I was told when you do this to rice, it opens up and absorbs the liquid better and gives more flavor.
kades

I was told when you do this to rice, it opens up and absorbs the liquid better and gives more flavor.
kades

I don't know if that's true because the rice gets coated with fat so the stay separate and don't clump up while cooking.

Hmmmm. Interesting. Has no one ever made Rice-a-Roni? That's the first step in the instructions!

My New Mexican cousin says that browning the short vermicelli that you can buy at Mexican grocery stores is the first step. I always sautee rice first when making risotto, and while I have a hard time getting just plain steamed rice OK, my risotto and paella (another one I sautee first). I don't buy Rice-a-Roni much (seems to salty anymore, but it used to be a favorite) but the short Mexican brand vermicelli and rice together (with my own stock, herbs, etc) work well.

I don't know if that's true because the rice gets coated with fat so the stay separate and don't clump up while cooking.
I read it in a Mexican cook book of course it's as old from when the Earth was cooling:LOL: I'll see If I can find it because the old brain needs refreshing
cj

Last edited:
In addition to flavor as Andy stated, when you toast rice in some oil or butter or whatever it coats the grain of the rice and it's less clumpy and starchy.

So I like my rice so that the grains are separated, so I normally wash my rice, strain it, toast it in a little olive oil and then add water and cook it. Doing this ensures that the grains stay fluffy and don't get mushy.

This may be true of pasta as well, because that also has a lot of starch in it.

When you brown rice and or grains in fat before cooking in liquid, that's a technique known as pilaf. It is a wonderful technique for adding flavor and color to a rice or grain dish.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom