Buckwheat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LanceD

Assistant Cook
Good day all, I recently tasted buckwheat which I liked a lot. Does anyone have good recipes with buckwheat as main ingredient? Many thanks, Lance

Good day all, I recently tasted buckwheat which I liked a lot. Does anyone have good recipes with buckwheat as main ingredient? Many thanks, Lance
Buckwheat flour makes great pancakes. Since it doesn't have any gluten, it doesn't make lumps.

I haven't made kasha in years, but I seem to remember it was pretty good. There should be lots of recipes for kasha on the internet. It is usually used as a side dish/carb with a meal.

I agree with the pancakes!

In this area we use New Hope Mills buckwheat pancake flour!

Another classic dish is Kasha Varnishkes!

Like Hoot says "Google is your friend for recipes."

In Italy buckwheat is used mainly in Valtellina, a valley on the Alps just at the north of Lake Como.
I give you two recipes:
Sciatt, buckwheat fritters filled with cheese (Sciatt means toad in the local dialect)
Pizzoccheri, buckwheat noodles seasoned with a lot of things (see the recipe)

Sciatt

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients (4 servings):[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 2/3 cup buckwheat flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup white flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9 oz Bitto cheese (or use any semi-fat melting cheese)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 tablespoons of Grappa[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]sparkling water[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]oil for frying[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]salt[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Mix the two flours, the Grappa, a pinch of salt and enough sparkling water to obtain a smooth batter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dice the cheese in cubes with a side of about ¾ inch.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Put the cheese cubes in the batter, mix and let rest for 2 hours in the fridge.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Take about half a ladle of batter, making sure to have one or two cheese cubes in it and fry in hot oil.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Use two tablespoons to give a round shape to the fritters.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Drain the Sciatt on paper towel and serve hot on a bed of chicory.[/FONT]

Pizzoccheri

[FONT=&quot]Ingredients: (6 servings)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]3 1/3 cups buckwheat flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 2/3 cups white flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10.5 oz butter[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]14 oz Bitto cheese[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (you can replace it with Fontina, Gouda or Edam cheese)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 2/3 cups grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 2/3 cups chards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5-6 potatoes[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]4-5 garlic cloves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6-8 sage leaves[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]coarse ground black pepper[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Knead the two flours with a pinch of salt and enough water to obtain a firm dough.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Roll the dough with a [/FONT][FONT=&quot]thickness of about a little less than 1/4 in [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and cut out noodles of about 1/4 in of width and about 3 in of length.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Peel and cut the potatoes in pieces about the size of a walnut.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Clean the chards and cut out the stalks.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Put the chard stalks in salty boiling water.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After 5 minutes add the potatoes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]After other 5 minutes add the chard leaves and the noodles.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let boil for about 10 minutes.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Meanwhile brown the garlic cloves and the sage in the butter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Drain the noodles (and everything in the pot).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Put a third of the pizzoccheri in a large bowl, add half of the cheeses and half of the melted butter. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cover with another third of the pizzoccheri and add the remaining cheese and butter.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Cover with the last third of the pizzoccheri and sprinkle with a lot of black pepper.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let rest 2-3 minutes for the cheese to melt, mix very well and serve immediately.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to pancakes, etc., one of our favorite dishes is French buckwheat crepes (aka "galettes"), which are usually wrapped around a savory filling. A couple of my favorite fillings are chicken and mushroom, and spinach and cheese.

Back
Top Bottom