"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-01-2005, 06:37 PM   #1
Head Chef

Bugs Invaded My Brown Rice

I keep my brown rice in a glass container that has one of those wood tops that pop right off. It has a rubber ring around the lid. I am not sure if it's air tight or not.

Anyways, I also keep a plastic scoop in there so I can easily get to my rice. I've had this rice for a while, one day I noticed on the scoop, there was all this red dust on it. If I looked closely enough, the dust was moving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to toss out all my brown rice. Does anyone know what this was? The little red things were so tiny that it was VERY easy to mistake it as dust. If I didn't pay really close attention, I would have missed it.

Funny though, I have never seen this in my white rice. Thoughs?? Thanks!

Old 07-01-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
Master Chef

It sounds like you have an airtight container ... but the little red bugs beats the heck out of me! I haven't seen anything like that (dust moving) since the 60's ...

Old 07-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Red rice yeast maybe?
Old 07-01-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

The little red critters are probably chiggers. They are almost too small to see. When they bite, they cause an intense itching.

I suppose they could have gotton into the rice in a number of ways either before or after you put it into the jar.

I don't think they are connected to brown rice specifically.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:37 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I've never heard of chiggers getting into rice. I don't know what the bugs were, but I do know (from everything I have read) that any grains, flours, etc. come with bugs. Most don't hatch and become a problem for awhile. For this reason, I keep all those things in the freezer. It will kill them off. Whenever you bring grains or flour home, put it in the freezer for at least 24 hours. This is what I was told, and it seems to work. If you have a large freezer, like I do, you can store them in there. Just bring your flour to room temperature before using it.

Barbara
Old 07-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
I don't know what the bugs were, but I do know (from everything I have read) that any grains, flours, etc. come with bugs. Most don't hatch and become a problem for awhile. For this reason, I keep all those things in the freezer.smile: Barbara
I second Barbara's response. In my experience, brown rice purchased from an open bin (eg - not pachaged) is particularly vulnerable to insect infestation (the eggs are probably already in the rice). I've had insect infestation develop in brown rice that I purchased from an open bin. In contrast, I've never experienced insect infestation in whole grain wheat or oats purchased from an open bin, nor have I ever had insect infestation in whole grain flours.

I'd suggest you go to the store where you bought this and complain, since its possible that the grain was contaminated (due to improper storage at the store) when you bought it.

I think its great if you have the freezer space to store whole grains. I routinely buy lots of different whole grains (brown rice - wheat - oats - millet - etc) and store them in tightly capped containers in my kitchen cupboards. Nature has devised the seed to be pretty durable over time and I like to take advantage of her wisdom.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Always keep a bay leaf or two in any container in which you store rice, flour, pasta etc. It keeps the bugs away.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:08 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
It sounds like you have an airtight container ... but the little red bugs beats the heck out of me! I haven't seen anything like that (dust moving) since the 60's ...
- roflmao Michael - that's what I would have said!!

I will have to agree with Barbara on this one - the bugs come free in so many things - just depends on whether they hatch or not. I had a bag of packaged soup with rice in it and when I opened it a flock of something flew out - now THAT was 70's, not 60's Nothing will keep them away - it just depends if they hatch or not. There is a certain percentage of bugs, rat droppings, etc., actually allowed in a lot of stuff by the food industry/government standards.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:01 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy
Always keep a bay leaf or two in any container in which you store rice, flour, pasta etc. It keeps the bugs away.
This works well for me too.
Old 07-02-2005, 09:16 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

one way to keep the eggs from hatching after you've bought the rice is to freeze it overnight before storing it in your cupboard. freezing kills most eggs. i have to do this with my parrot seeds, or i'll get flocks of seed moths around the house. unfortunately, freezing also destroys some of the nutritional value of the food, but it shouldn't matter too much with rice.

btw, the bugs sound like red spider mites.

Tags
None