"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-01-2005, 01:47 PM   #1
Master Chef

Butternut Dumplings with Brown Butter and Sage--TNT

These are a lot of work but SO good!

Butternut Dumplings with Brown Butter and Sage

1 ˝ small butternut squash, halved and seeded
4 medium baking (russet) potatoes, pierced
1 egg
1 ˝ Tbsp kosher salt
1 pinch nutmeg
1 ˝ all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
Oil
1 bunch sage, leaves chiffonade
8 Tbsp unsalted butter
˝ c grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375F. On a sheet pan, place the squash flesh side down and roast until very tender (about 45 minutes). At the same time, bake potatoes directly on the rack of the oven for 1 hour.

Split the potatoes and allow to cool slightly, or until you can handle them. Don’t let them cool completely. Scoop the flesh of the potatoes and the squash into a bowl and mash with a hand masher.

Mix in the egg, salt, and nutmeg. Then add the flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Do not do this in a mixer, as it will overwork the dough. Add flour by the spoonful if it’s still too moist.

Turn out onto a floured board and divide into 8 portions. Roll out into ropes and cut into ˝” pieces. Line the pieces up on a floured sheet pan as you work. At this point you could freeze them on the pan until solid, then transfer to zip top bags and store in the freezer.

In a large pot of boiling salted water gently drop in the dumplings. Don’t overcrowd. As they begin to float, remove them with a slotted spoon and toss them into an ice bath.

Drain off the water and toss in a little olive oil. Store loosely in containers until ready to use.

To reheat, in a sauté pan over high heat add 1 Tbsp of soft butter. Cook until the butter begins to foam and turn brown. Add 2 Tbsp sage leaves and 1 c dumplings. Cook for an additional minute until the dumplings are heated through. Repeat until you have desired amount of servings. Plate and top with freshly grated Parmesan.

Old 09-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Those sound really good and I like the fact that you can make them ahead.What do you suggest serving them with Im thinking mayby pork.

Old 09-02-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
Master Chef

I think pork sounds like a good choice, jp. When I had them it's all I ate--just had a lot of them!
Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #4
Master Chef

sounds delicious, pa; thanks for sharing the recipe with us!
i want to make these for dinner tonite.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:11 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

These I have to try..They remind me of gnocchi and I love gnocchi Things are fairly quiet around here so I'm going to pick up what I need and try this sometime this weekend..Thanks Pa, I may do like you and just have them with a nice tossed green salad, forget the meat

kadesma
Old 09-03-2005, 12:38 PM   #6
Head Chef

Oh Pa, you've got me drooling all over my keyboard again! Thank you!
Old 09-04-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Master Chef

i haven't been so happy to see such a good recipe in i don't know how long!
i didn't get to make these the other day but went to the store tonite for the ingredients. i had my Brother (he's a D/C member, too, but he doesn't post) look up the recipe for me while i was at the store.
the guys would more than likely be so very happy if i cook these and some pork chops for them.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:55 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

So Good

Hi Pa,
just wanted to let you know, I made the dumplings....Couldn't wait til sunday to try them though I didn't have sage in the house, but just melted some butter and put it over them then tossed on some grated parm...They are wonderful...I made a double batch for this gang of mine and I know they will love them on sunday...Thank you for a recipe that will be one we use knowing how our mouths and tummys are going to smile
kadesma
Old 10-06-2005, 08:20 PM   #9
Master Chef

sorry if this sounds stupid, but, what is this?
Old 10-06-2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
sorry if this sounds stupid, but, what is this?
It's not stupid ... It would be silly though if you didn't ask all it is is fresh sage leaves, you roll a few of them up like a cigar, then slice to get it to look like thin ribbons of sage...then you saute them in butter and add the dumplings heat them through and plate adding some fresh grated parm at the end...If I didn't like sage, I would probably just leave them as they are and add the parm and some freshly cracked black pepper...I had some like this today when I was fixing them...YUMMY

kadesma

Tags
None