Butternut Dumplings with Brown Butter and Sage--TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
These are a lot of work but SO good!

Butternut Dumplings with Brown Butter and Sage

1 ½ small butternut squash, halved and seeded
4 medium baking (russet) potatoes, pierced
1 egg
1 ½ Tbsp kosher salt
1 pinch nutmeg
1 ½ all-purpose flour, plus additional for dusting
Oil
1 bunch sage, leaves chiffonade
8 Tbsp unsalted butter
½ c grated Parmesan

Preheat oven to 375F. On a sheet pan, place the squash flesh side down and roast until very tender (about 45 minutes). At the same time, bake potatoes directly on the rack of the oven for 1 hour.

Split the potatoes and allow to cool slightly, or until you can handle them. Don’t let them cool completely. Scoop the flesh of the potatoes and the squash into a bowl and mash with a hand masher.

Mix in the egg, salt, and nutmeg. Then add the flour and mix until a soft dough forms. Do not do this in a mixer, as it will overwork the dough. Add flour by the spoonful if it’s still too moist.

Turn out onto a floured board and divide into 8 portions. Roll out into ropes and cut into ½” pieces. Line the pieces up on a floured sheet pan as you work. At this point you could freeze them on the pan until solid, then transfer to zip top bags and store in the freezer.

In a large pot of boiling salted water gently drop in the dumplings. Don’t overcrowd. As they begin to float, remove them with a slotted spoon and toss them into an ice bath.

Drain off the water and toss in a little olive oil. Store loosely in containers until ready to use.

To reheat, in a sauté pan over high heat add 1 Tbsp of soft butter. Cook until the butter begins to foam and turn brown. Add 2 Tbsp sage leaves and 1 c dumplings. Cook for an additional minute until the dumplings are heated through. Repeat until you have desired amount of servings. Plate and top with freshly grated Parmesan.

:) Those sound really good and I like the fact that you can make them ahead.What do you suggest serving them with Im thinking mayby pork.

sounds delicious, pa; thanks for sharing the recipe with us!
i want to make these for dinner tonite.

These I have to try..They remind me of gnocchi and I love gnocchi:LOL: Things are fairly quiet around here so I'm going to pick up what I need and try this sometime this weekend..Thanks Pa, I may do like you and just have them with a nice tossed green salad, forget the meat:LOL:

kadesma

i haven't been so happy to see such a good recipe in i don't know how long!
i didn't get to make these the other day but went to the store tonite for the ingredients. i had my Brother (he's a D/C member, too, but he doesn't post) look up the recipe for me while i was at the store.
the guys would more than likely be so very happy if i cook these and some pork chops for them.:-p

So Good

Hi Pa,
just wanted to let you know, I made the dumplings....Couldn't wait til sunday to try them though:LOL: I didn't have sage in the house, but just melted some butter and put it over them then tossed on some grated parm...They are wonderful...I made a double batch for this gang of mine and I know they will love them on sunday...Thank you for a recipe that will be one we use knowing how our mouths and tummys are going to smile:LOL:
kadesma

texasgirl said:
sorry if this sounds stupid, but, what is this?
1 bunch sage, leaves chiffonade
It's not stupid :LOL:... It would be silly though if you didn't ask :LOL: all it is is fresh sage leaves, you roll a few of them up like a cigar, then slice to get it to look like thin ribbons of sage...then you saute them in butter and add the dumplings heat them through and plate adding some fresh grated parm at the end...If I didn't like sage, I would probably just leave them as they are and add the parm and some freshly cracked black pepper...I had some like this today when I was fixing them...YUMMY :)

kadesma

Well PA, I haven't been around very long and am doing the rounds. It looks like I have a lot to see around here. Thanks for the great recipe, and the other great ideas from everyone here.

BrianMorin said:
Well PA, I haven't been around very long and am doing the rounds. It looks like I have a lot to see around here. Thanks for the great recipe, and the other great ideas from everyone here.
Brian,
you have to give this recipe a try, it is fantastic. We had it and we all just raved about it. My kids are meat eaters and they ate very little of the pork tenderloin I had with this, just ate and ate the dumplings and green salad. Pa Baker outdid herself with this beauty.

kadesma:)

:) PA,I made them in Texas where I worked last winter for 2 months Nov & Dec going 9 years now on this job they were delicious they are alot of work but the fact that you can make them ahead and boil them saves alot of time.So I made them a day ahead and fried up the next night.
Did not make pork but if I remember right it was probably a veal tenderloin.
Any way it was a hit.I did have some problems with how loose the dough was and added alot more flour and no matter how much I added it was still loose but I did not want them stiff with flour cuz I thought I might end up with hockey pucks so I went ahead and froze them and then boiled.Can you tell me what I did wrong or is it normal for the dough to be that loose?
Thanks alot for the recipe.
JP

Last edited:
jpmcgrew said:
:) PA,I made them in Texas where I worked last winter for 2 months Nov & Dec going 9 years now on this job they were delicious they are alot of work but the fact that you can make them ahead and boil them saves alot of time.So I made them a day ahead and fried up the next night.
Did not make pork but if I remember right it was probably a veal tenderloin.
Any way it was a hit.I did have some problems with how loose the dough was and added alot more flour and no matter how much I added it was still loose but I did not want them stiff with flour cuz I thought I might end up with hockey pucks so I went ahead and froze them and then boiled.Can you tell me what I did wrong or is it normal for the dough to be that loose?
Thanks alot for the recipe.
JP
JP,
my dough was loose too, I added more flour then stopped cause I didn't want that flour taste to over power them. I chilled them well then went on with the recipe. Lot of work but I've done it twice now and will make them again. They were great.

kadesma

WHOA! Those sound incredible, PA!

I'm lo-carbing at the moment, but I've copied and pasted for the day that I say "ah, what the heck" and make them. In the meantime, I've sent the recipe to a friend so I can enjoy them vicariously through him.

Lee

QSis said:
WHOA! Those sound incredible, PA!

I'm lo-carbing at the moment, but I've copied and pasted for the day that I say "ah, what the heck" and make them. In the meantime, I've sent the recipe to a friend so I can enjoy them vicariously through him.

Lee
Lee, this is one you have to avoid on low carb:( Cause like the chips ya can't eat just one. These things are fantastic..Hope that ah heck day comes soon:LOL:

kadesma said:
Brian,
you have to give this recipe a try, it is fantastic. We had it and we all just raved about it. My kids are meat eaters and they ate very little of the pork tenderloin I had with this, just ate and ate the dumplings and green salad. Pa Baker outdid herself with this beauty.

Ok, twist my arm already! We will have it! If I can find the time, this week-end.

Regards:-p

BrianMorin said:
Ok, twist my arm already! We will have it! If I can find the time, this week-end.

Regards:-p
:LOL: I'm twisting Brian, I'm twisting:ROFLMAO:

kadesma

BrianMorin said:
Mushroom Gnocchi Gratin

I think this sauce might be too much with these gnocchi?
Brian, I think this sauce would be just fine with the dumplings,but first I'd try it with just a brown butter sage sauce on it. You will find the dumpling a tiny bit sweet and taste the squash flavor. Both would work, pick one, use it and then try the other..Get the best of both worlds:LOL:

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom