"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-23-2006, 09:05 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Can cooked pasta be frozen?

I'd like to make a precooked frozen dinner of some kind of pasta in a tomato sauce. Will the pasta be ok if I freeze it in the sauce?

Old 03-23-2006, 10:39 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Absolutely ~ I freeze cooked pasta (lasagna, rigatoni, stuffed shells, etc.) all the time. You may reheat the pasta in the microwave or cover the casserole with foil and heat in a 350F oven until bubbling. Always have extra sauce and grated cheese available to add to pasta.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:22 PM   #3
Sous Chef

It will be fine as Auntie Shelly said but I wouldn't, the end result is far inferior to freshly cooked pasta that is al dente.

I would be much more inclined to freeze the sauce and cook the pasta fresh each time, it only takes 10 minutes.
Old 03-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I'm with Haggis. Thawed pasta may be still edible but it is a far cry from the piping hot al dente pasta. Pasta is so easy and simple to prepare, it is not worth it to sacrifice the full flavour and texture. Just freeze the sauce/condiment....
Old 03-23-2006, 11:41 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Pasta is so easy and simple to prepare, it is not worth it to sacrifice the full flavour and texture.
Try explaining that to your boss as you boil macaroni on your desktop hotplate.

I always make extra macaroni and freeze it in microwave-safe covered plates for office lunches, along with a meat ball and/or Italian sausage link, and some garlic bread.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:13 AM   #6
Sous Chef

Quote:
Try explaining that to your boss as you boil macaroni on your desktop hotplate.

I always make extra macaroni and freeze it in microwave-safe covered plates for office lunches, along with a meat ball and/or Italian sausage link, and some garlic bread.
That, I can understand. But I would much rather cook the pasta and refrigerate it instead of freezing it (most offices have refrigerators that you can use, unfortunate if your's does not). Avoid the expanding water crystals that destroy the texture of the pasta.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:22 AM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anau
I'd like to make a precooked frozen dinner of some kind of pasta in a tomato sauce. Will the pasta be ok if I freeze it in the sauce?
Yes! I do this sometimes when I'm making lasagna, stuffed shells, manicotti/canelloni, or extra spaghetti and meatballs for my step-mom (who only cooks in the mircowave these days) and know I'm going to have a surplus to freeze.

I cook the pasta about 2-3 minutes short of the cooking time on the package, plunge it into an ice bath (to stop the cooking) and then assemble the dish in the dish(s) I'm going to freeze it in. Just make sure your ingredients are all at room temp, or cooler, before assembling if you're making a freeze ahead dinner. When reheated the pasta will not be over cooked.

Of course - you can freeze leftovers, too. The texture of the pasta will suffer a bit ... but it still beats a can of Chef Boyardee!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:47 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks, I agree fresher is better but I might not be able to cook the pasta immediately before eating so I think I'll try cooking it a little short.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:01 AM   #9
Senior Cook

My only thought on this is to look at the frozen pasta products in the supermarkets.

I have found,to me, that spagetti that has been frozen and Nuked to serve, is as good as or better than the freshly made.

But, I have found this true with other dishes as well.
Charlie
Old 03-24-2006, 03:42 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
My only thought on this is to look at the frozen pasta products in the supermarkets.

I have found,to me, that spagetti that has been frozen and Nuked to serve, is as good as or better than the freshly made.

But, I have found this true with other dishes as well.
I find this very hard to believe.

Tags
None