"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 01-19-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Can cooked spaghetti be frozen for later use?

hello everyone
i would like to know if it is ok to freeze the cooked spaghetti in refrigerator for later use, because it usually takes more than 10 minutes to cook spaghetti which is quite time-consuming and not environmental friendly to use so much fuel.
Another question is - if it is okay to do so, should i put it in "ice part" of the refrigerator or just "normal" part? sorry i am not English speaker

Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 AM   #2
Master Chef

Don't apologise for your speech, we can mostly get around it, and you'll learn more by reading our replies. You can refrigerate pasta or freeze it. If I know I'm going to do that, I under cook it slightly. It can be refrigerated (the big part of the refrigerator) or frozen (the ice part). Refrigerate for a few days or freeze for longer. Then a quick immersion in very high boiling water, or if you have one, a couple of minutes in a microwave oven.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Don't apologise for your speech, we can mostly get around it, and you'll learn more by reading our replies. You can refrigerate pasta or freeze it. If I know I'm going to do that, I under cook it slightly. It can be refrigerated (the big part of the refrigerator) or frozen (the ice part). Refrigerate for a few days or freeze for longer. Then a quick immersion in very high boiling water, or if you have one, a couple of minutes in a microwave oven.
what do you mean by "under cook it slightly"? don't understand this sentence
Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Executive Chef

As Claire said, you can freeze it. I have seen it done at a few restaurants I worked at over the years. But you could probably take it out of the water and cool it off with fresh cold water a couple of minutes before it is cooked through. Freezing it sometimes will make it turn mushy or break up in bits when you go to reheat it in hot water. If it is just for you at home and you don't mind broken up pasta, then fine. But, if you are trying to recreate freshly cooked pasta then I don't think you will be happy with the results.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Master Chef

What I meant is to drain the pasta before YOU consider it fully cooked. That way, after you refrigerate or freeze the pasta, you can plunge it back into some very high boiling water and it will not get soggy and clump together. I like my pasta a little on the firm side. Have you cooked some Asian noodles? Bean threads, rice vermicelli, soba, ramen, etc?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
If you tell us what language(s) you are fluent in, we might be able to help even more ;)
Old 01-19-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
usually takes more than 10 minutes to cook spaghetti which is quite time-consuming and not environmental friendly to use so much fuel.
I am not entirely certain you will end up saving energy with this. Cooking pasta generally requires a lengthy time to heat the water to a boil and a short cook time. Freezing the pasta will require energy to run the freezer to cool the pasta to frozen and then you when you reheat it will take more fuel (energy) to get the water and frozen pasta hot again.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:02 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
What I meant is to drain the pasta before YOU consider it fully cooked. That way, after you refrigerate or freeze the pasta, you can plunge it back into some very high boiling water and it will not get soggy and clump together. I like my pasta a little on the firm side. Have you cooked some Asian noodles? Bean threads, rice vermicelli, soba, ramen, etc?
now i have under cooked some of the pasta (that mean it can't be eaten directly now) and i have put it into the refrigerator for later use. I will use
some hot water to regenerate it. Is it a correct way to do so?
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I am not entirely certain you will end up saving energy with this. Cooking pasta generally requires a lengthy time to heat the water to a boil and a short cook time. Freezing the pasta will require energy to run the freezer to cool the pasta to frozen and then you when you reheat it will take more fuel (energy) to get the water and frozen pasta hot again.
i certainly believe that it will end up saving a lot of energy and time by doing this.

in fact i don't use town gas to heat the water from its general state to boil, instead i use electricity to boil the water first, immediately after it boils i drain the water into the large bowl and cook it.

i am not sure about western countries but in my area electricity is much faster and cheaper than town gas
Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
If you tell us what language(s) you are fluent in, we might be able to help even more ;)
fluent in Chinese, you can also speak Thai to me.... rare languages

Tags
other, spaghetti, frozen