"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-23-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
Cook

Question Can I substitute for egg noodles?

I'm wanting to make Baverian Stew. It's smoked sausage, green beans, muchroom soup, milk, mustard, and egg noodles. Can I use another kind of noodle?

Old 05-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
use any kind you'd like!

Old 05-23-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

You can use fettucine, spaghetti, ziti, etc. Any noodle will do.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmccleary
I'm wanting to make Baverian Stew. It's smoked sausage, green beans, muchroom soup, milk, mustard, and egg noodles. Can I use another kind of noodle?
For your recipe, you might want to use elbow, shells, or bowtie. It will be easier to stir it evenly. If you only have spaghetti, you need to break it in half before you cook it so your ingredients will not end up in the bottom of the bowl when you toss them together.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
One thing I would suggest is that you cook the pasta and add it to the stew just before serving. This way the pasta won't be mushy and extra starch won't be added to the stew, which would tend to thicken it.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Master Chef

Unless it's a health issue (egg allergy) I would go with the egg noodles.

Trying to keep with the the spirit of the origins of the recipe and the egg noodle (a broad flat noodle) - my first choice would be Farfalla (aka: bow tie or butterfly pasta) as someone has already suggested. My next best choice would be Pappardelle (another broad flat noodle but more the length of spaghetti than egg noodles) if you can find them - you would just need to break them up a bit so they would be more the size (length) of egg noodles. Or, Tagliatelle - another broad flat noodle.

If you have no other options .. then any of a number of small macaroni shapes could be substituted - although the original integrity of the dish will be lost. It will still be good - just not the same.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:48 AM   #7
Master Chef

You can buy yolk free wide noodles, if avoiding cholesterol is your intent. I've tried them, and can't tell the difference.

If you look in your stores freezer section, You should be able to find Reames egg noodles and square rolled dumplings. Both are very good. You might like to use the dumplings instead of noodles.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
Executive Chef

For a stew, I would go with a heartier noodle (as Michael mentioned, Pappardelle or Tagliatelle), or spaetzle, rice, mashed potatoes or Perogies on the side.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:22 PM   #9
Head Chef

I don't know why I didn't think of it before but corkscrew pasta would be perfect.

My family is not wild about smoked sausage and this recipe might work for them. I would like to incorporate this style of sausage into my menus because it is so widely available.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmccleary
For me, I could not do without good noodles without a very good reason. Egg noodles are noramally required for "great" meals for for me. However, I will use noodles that are yokeless, or wheat when I am trying to do the healthy route.

Casper

Tags
None