Can you make a mac & cheese sauce without flour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robert360

Assistant Cook
Each recipe I see for mac and cheese requires making a roux. However I have had no luck with this. I've tried it twice (one was tonight) and each time my mac and cheese has been too floury. Is there anyway to make a sauce without flour? If not, how do you make your roux?

I don't make a roux. I start with heavy whipping cream, sometimes cut with milk. Bring to slightly under a boil (do not let boil), and add your spices and seasonings. Careful with the salt, I add none. Add your choice of cheeses shredded, stirring till incorporated.

I also will generally use a small amount of sherry and add a little of a freshly ground cinnamon clove mix.

What are your recipes?

Also, are you baking the Mac 'n Cheese after assembling sauce and pasta? Some sauces do not hold up to baking and will break.

If you make a good bechamel, load it with cheese, and thicken with roux once things are up to a simmer, just make sure your roux is cool/room temp(avoids lumps). Let it thicken to just under the point you would like it to be at, and let it cook for 10min or so. That should cook out the flour, and the wee bit of reduction should take you whee you need to be.

This is all based on speculation though, as no recipe is provided. As simple as it sounds, Mac' n Cheese has a LOT of variables, lol.

I melt my cheese(s) in milk, evaporated milk, or even a cream of soup. No flour or roux.

You can make cheese sauce many different ways. I sometimes use the roux method, sometime I use half milk and cream and melt finely grated cheese in little bit at a time.
Cultured butter milk makes a lovely cheese sauce too, just use the same method as with the cream.
You can make a roux with corn starch but I don't like this since I find the consistency too jelly like.
The trick is too grate the cheese finely and add it slowly so that you don't get lumps or separation.

First, be sure you are using equal parts fat and flour (measure). Second, remember to cook it for a bit. If you don't cook the roux long enough it will leave a floury taste to the M&C.

I'm normally a roux maker... except for cheese sauce. I only use cheese and a dairy product (milk, half & half or cream - whatever is handy.)

I begin by warming the cheese in about two tablespoons of milk and a pat of butter. I don't let it come to a boil. The milk and butter helps the cheese not stick to the bottom of the pan. After the cheese is mostly melted through, I begin to add more milk a tablespoon at a time while stirring until it comes to the consistency that I want.

This is not a dish that you can wander away from. It requires constant attention and stirring over low heat. Burnt cheese sauce on the bottom will ruin the entire batch, and is miserable to clean from the pot.

...but it tastes SOooo good that, to me, it's worth the trouble.

I'm normally a roux maker... except for cheese sauce. I only use cheese and a dairy product (milk, half & half or cream - whatever is handy.)

I begin by warming the cheese in about two tablespoons of milk and a pat of butter. I don't let it come to a boil. The milk and butter helps the cheese not stick to the bottom of the pan. After the cheese is mostly melted through, I begin to add more milk a tablespoon at a time while stirring until it comes to the consistency that I want.

This is not a dish that you can wander away from. It requires constant attention and stirring over low heat. Burnt cheese sauce on the bottom will ruin the entire batch, and is miserable to clean from the pot.

...but it tastes SOooo good that, to me, it's worth the trouble.

I'm going to have to try this method. I use heavy cream and finely grated cheese if I'm using hard cheeses, milk and finely grated cheese if I'm using creamier cheeses the melt well. I avoid cheddar, not because I don't like cheddar cheese sauce, but because I have yet to be successful in making it. It always comes out separated. And yes, I keep the milk or cream from reaching a boil, finely shred the cheese, add it slowly and constantly stir the mix. Still comes out clumpy.

I'm going to have to try this method. I use heavy cream and finely grated cheese if I'm using hard cheeses, milk and finely grated cheese if I'm using creamier cheeses the melt well. I avoid cheddar, not because I don't like cheddar cheese sauce, but because I have yet to be successful in making it. It always comes out separated. And yes, I keep the milk or cream from reaching a boil, finely shred the cheese, add it slowly and constantly stir the mix. Still comes out clumpy.

Try getting the cheese to room temperature first and add some cream or buttermilk. Cheese will blend better with a thicker mixture.

...I avoid cheddar, not because I don't like cheddar cheese sauce, but because I have yet to be successful in making it. It always comes out separated. And yes, I keep the milk or cream from reaching a boil, finely shred the cheese, add it slowly and constantly stir the mix. Still comes out clumpy.

I know what you mean, and the same thing used to happen to me until I began using a softer cheese mixed in with it. The cheddar seems to melt better in the presence of another cheese rather than by itself. A small amount of cream cheese or (GASP!!!!!) Velveeta will do the trick.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, and the same thing used to happen to me until I began using a softer cheese mixed in with it. The cheddar seems to melt better in the presence of another cheese rather than by itself. A small amount of cream cheese or (GASP!!!!!) Velveeta will do the trick.

Now you've done it! All the Velveeta haters will be posting mean things now! :LOL:

I use some velveeta, milk and sharp cheddar. If I don't have any velveeta (cuz we like it a LOT in our house) then I'll use some cream cheese instead. No flour required!

Alix said:
Now you've done it! All the Velveeta haters will be posting mean things now! :LOL:

I use some velveeta, milk and sharp cheddar. If I don't have any velveeta (cuz we like it a LOT in our house) then I'll use some cream cheese instead. No flour required!

Velveeta is one of my staples too. Makes foolproof cheese sauce, no roux required!

Velveeta? Why on earth would I use that vile gunk?
NO seriously, what is velveeta? Lol :ROFLMAO:
Never heard of it :)

Velveeta? Why on earth would I use that vile gunk?
NO seriously, what is velveeta? Lol :ROFLMAO:
Never heard of it :)

Its processed cheese. Swiss, cheddar and something else all blended into a loaf of deliciousness. However, you either love it or hate it. Haters can be pretty intense about it.

Attachments

• Velveeta-cheese1.jpg
    Velveeta-cheese1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,180

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom