Canned beans or dried?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andy M. said:
Steve:

Thanks for the technical support. Hopefully, another cooking myth put to rest.

I'm not sure that "myth" is really an apt description. It seems, as even evident on this thread, that it is more a disagreement, replete with adherents to each side and middle-of-the-roaders like me.

jennyema said:
I've never salted my soaking water but now I'm going to try that. I made pasta fagioli on Sunday and seasoned the cooking water liberally with salt and spices/herbs.

I think the question was about when to salt the beans during cooking, not during soaking.

Steve's qouted sources are all respected food scientists or cooks who support the premise that salt does not toughen beans, regardless of when it's added to the water.

Acidic ingredients do effect the softening of beans and should only be added later in the cooking process.

Andy M. said:
Steve's qouted sources are all respected food scientists or cooks who support the premise that salt does not toughen beans, regardless of when it's added to the water.

Acidic ingredients do effect the softening of beans and should only be added later in the cooking process.

I have no big problem either way, but in terms of respected sources, I would think that the one I used would also be considered "respected," as would be this and this.

My point, which is not a big one, is simply that there is disagreement here. That's all. So I don't consider one side or another a "myth."

I use both canned and dry beans. I generally prefer dry, except for chickpeas/garbanzos. But those are also more difficult to find dry. I often use black beans from a can for dips and salsas. But those I usually throw together on a whim so it makes more sense to use a canned product.

I cook beans in a pressure cooker. Faster. No need to presoak. No worries about the freshness of the bean. As long as the bean isn't withered and wrinkled, it will cook up fine in a pressure cooker. I usually add some onion and garlic and bay leaf to the pot.

Lentils I cook in a normal pot. They cook fast enough as it is.

And some Beano at the table.

thymeless

But there is one large benefit of salting beans during cooking--the salt is incorporated into the bean instead of just "sitting on it or in the liquid". More depth of flavor, just as it is better to salt pasta or veggies during cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom