CANNELLONI - my go to favorite pasta recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You're absolutely right about that.

We were of course thinking & speaking of crepes vs. the store-bought, ready-made cannelloni tubes.
Yes, I realize that. It's just nice sometimes to do the homemade and easy way. I saw an episode of Pasta Grannies where the granny made lasagna using crepes. I thought it was a great idea to have as backup.

Yes, I realize that. It's just nice sometimes to do the homemade and easy way. I saw an episode of Pasta Grannies where the granny made lasagna using crepes. I thought it was a great idea to have as backup.

Yes, I saw a TV show where the chef also made lasagna using crepes, which I thought was quite novel - and it looked and sounded like it was a very acceptable alternative approach to using pasta.

I cooked it last night and it was a hit. My vegetarian daughter liked the fake meat version I made for her. I just took 4 of the shells to make for her with the fake meat crumbles. Would make the recipe again in the future. Here’s a picture of the cooked dish.
IMG_1334.jpg

Here are my notes/comments on the recipe.

My box of Manicotti shells (Barilla) only had 14 shells. It was sufficient for this recipe. I did boil them for 4 minutes as I thought 2 minutes might not be enough. The shells were still very firm.

I covered the pan with foil and baked it like I usually do for stuffed shells/lasagna. Then I uncovered it for the broiling part.

I used 1% milk and no cream. Cheeses were Guyere, Romana, and Parmesan Reggiano. I also used 100% italian sausage instead of the sausage/ground beef combo since that's what I had on hand.

Here are my notes/comments on the recipe.

My box of Manicotti shells (Barilla) only had 14 shells. It was sufficient for this recipe. I did boil them for 4 minutes as I thought 2 minutes might not be enough. The shells were still very firm.

I covered the pan with foil and baked it like I usually do for stuffed shells/lasagna. Then I uncovered it for the broiling part.

I used 1% milk and no cream. Cheeses were Guyere, Romana, and Parmesan Reggiano. I also used 100% italian sausage instead of the sausage/ground beef combo since that's what I had on hand.

Glad you mentioned how you handled cooking the manicotti shells - as I said they are quite a bit thicker than the cannelloni tubes, and have ridges too, so I can understand their remaining somewhat firm - (so need more parboiling to adequately soften them up).

I think you'd be pleased with the thinner cannelloni tubes if you can find them.

And yes, I've also used 100% Italian sausage meat - using the 'mild' only, then the 'spicy' only - and I think the spicy meat makes a tastier cannelloni - it isn't hot at all, and seems to have a more pleasing flavor to me.

Next time, try baking it uncovered all the way.

For a change of pace, you might like to give the 'killer chicken thighs' a try sometime in future.
I'm very pleased with that dish's taste, and I think your family would enjoy it too.

Last edited:
This recipe sounds so rich that I think I gained a pound or three just reading it! :mrgreen: Thanks for sharing.

These two comments sent me down a rabbit hole :ermm: From what I could find, it's likely that the first tubular pasta dish was made with rolled sheets of fresh lasagna pasta. The "Pasta Project" blogger also has a bit different explanation for cannelloni/manicotti/crespelle than that of the blogger with the "View from My Italian Kitchen". While Jacqui Debono's recipe for "Pumpkin and Goat Cheese" cannelloni looks good, I should try make the one filled with potato and porcini. Our daughter's two favorite food groups are pasta and potatoes. A dish that marries the two? Perfect!

We often make these and manicotti with crepes. saves on rolling out the dough with the pasta machine.

I actually find it easier to work with crepes or fresh pasta dough than to have to parboil, cool and then wrestle with the tubes, keep them from tearing, collapsing, filling falling out of bottom, etc. With the crepes or pasta dough, you just spoon or pipe out the filling, roll and you're done. The crepe batter and dough are both made ahead preferably and it takes no time to cook crepes or roll out the dough.

Ohhh, CG, I want to make the porcini and potato ones too. I prefer the simpler, cleaner tasting fillings.

We usually just use a cheese filling, sometimes add meat, but I don't like them as much, though Craig does. Sometimes, I make crepes and fold them in quarters, like crepes suzette, tucking in triangular wedges of moz and Fontina, covered with a simple red sauce, then baked until cheese is melty.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom