"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
My method is from Robert Irvine and I've NEVER had a fail. If I'm making rice for both of us, I'll wash the rice then drain in a colander to get rid of the extra starch and water. Just for me, I don't mind the extra starch so I skip that step. If I've washed, I'll heat about a quarter cup LESS liquid than that particular rice calls for to boiling, add the rice, stir, bring it back to boil, cover, turn burner off and let the pan set until I'm done with rest of meal, at minimum 20 minutes, and it's ALWAYS perfectly done.
White rice sold in the U.S. is enriched with vitamins and nutrients that were removed in the milling process. Rinsing washes these away, so if you want to keep them, don't rinse.

Should You Rinse Rice Before Cooking? - Chowhound

Old 08-12-2016, 07:01 PM   #12
Head Chef

A. It's not rice packaged in U.S.

B. If someone you are cooking for prefers it rinsed, you rinse...

Old 08-12-2016, 08:49 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I love my Tiger rice cooker. My hubby uses a generic brand cooker, and his rice always comes out burnt. But I've never had problems with Tiger or Zojirushi cookers.

I use the 2:1 ratio, 2 cups water to 1 cup rice, or any variation of that. That's for jasmine rice. It comes out a bit wet, but I prefer it that way, I let it warm in the cooker for 2-3 hours and it's perfect.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:14 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Rice is the only think I can do right.
First of all I leave the rice to rest in cold wather for half hour. Then for the cooking:
1 portion of rice (depends on how many are eating)
3 portions of wather
1 tsp salt
Bring to boil, don't stir too much.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgm82 View Post
Anybody got any tips for making just plain steamed white rice? I just moved and I can't for the live of me make proper rice in this new house and i don't know why...used to cook it all the time at my old place and it always turned out fine. Same cookware, same brand of rice, same water ratio...only variable is the new stove, which is a bit different from my old one - the low setting is a much lower flame whereas on my old range the flame settled kind of high when on simmer. I've tried messing with the burner settings to compensate but it still winds up undercooked...kind of annoying. Anybody have an idea why this is so?
I always had a problem cooking rice until I discovered the cheat's version:-

A mug of rice (rinsed, etc as usual) and two cups of boiling water with salt to taste, placed in a large bowl covered with Clingfilm (plastic wrap) with a small vent. Ten minutes in the microwave, allow to stand for 5 mins, fluff up with a fork and bingo, it works every time.

(By the way, I use Basmati rice. The extra cost is worth it.)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:22 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I NEVER think to us the MW for cooking items. Only heating up coffee.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:29 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I NEVER think to us the MW for cooking items. Only heating up coffee.
I don't make a habit of it but I do use it for cooking an individual portion of salmon, porridge, and occasionally when I crave a poached egg (which I can't make any other way, sob!) and frozen peas, etc. I also use it to melt butter for a cake, etc.

I don't actually cook anything special in it.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess for me, old habits are hard to break. I still melt butter on a low burner on the stove. I just don't think of the MW as a shortcut.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I always had a problem cooking rice until I discovered the cheat's version:-

A mug of rice (rinsed, etc as usual) and two cups of boiling water with salt to taste, placed in a large bowl covered with Clingfilm (plastic wrap) with a small vent. Ten minutes in the microwave, allow to stand for 5 mins, fluff up with a fork and bingo, it works every time.

(By the way, I use Basmati rice. The extra cost is worth it.)
A "mug" isn't any cooking measure that I ever heard of. I've seen 6 ounce mugs and 16 ounce mugs (I even have a beer mug that's 20 ounces). If you use cups for the water, why not for the rice too?
Old 08-25-2016, 12:25 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I guess for me, old habits are hard to break. I still melt butter on a low burner on the stove. I just don't think of the MW as a shortcut.
IMO, the microwave is one appliance I could not do without. I should say I would not want to part with the microwave.
And not just for heating coffee.
I find myself using it for many tasks in the kitchen.

Do you still make popcorn on the stove top?

Tags
cook, rice