Can't cook rice anymore...what gives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IMO, the microwave is one appliance I could not do without. I should say I would not want to part with the microwave.
And not just for heating coffee.
I find myself using it for many tasks in the kitchen.

Do you still make popcorn on the stove top?

That set me to thinking. Yes. The last time I made it, I did it on top of the stove. :angel:

I use Anjum Anand's basmati rice recipe from Indian Food Made Easy. Comes out a treat!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

It's been my experience that the type of rice does make a difference in cooking times.....I just go to the internet to be sure and have never been disappointed (and not all rices need to be rinsed either)....... and there are rice cookers out there that even have settings for brown rice as it takes longer to cook........

A "mug" isn't any cooking measure that I ever heard of. I've seen 6 ounce mugs and 16 ounce mugs (I even have a beer mug that's 20 ounces). If you use cups for the water, why not for the rice too?
But it doesn't matter what size your "mug" is. Mine hold a more or less standard 7 ounces.

The point is that you are using twice as much water by volume as rice so it doesn't matter if you use mugs, egg cups or 5 gallon jerry cans.

Anyway, we don't use standard measuring cups for "weighing" ingredients over here. We use scales for dry goods and fats, and measuring jugs for liquids. Makes life so much easier, particularly with baking.

It's been my experience that the type of rice does make a difference in cooking times.....I just go to the internet to be sure and have never been disappointed (and not all rices need to be rinsed either)....... and there are rice cookers out there that even have settings for brown rice as it takes longer to cook........
Ahh, yes. The 2:1 water:rice ratio may not work with brown rice but as I don't like it very much I don't cook it.

White rice sold in the U.S. is enriched with vitamins and nutrients that were removed in the milling process. Rinsing washes these away, so if you want to keep them, don't rinse.

Should You Rinse Rice Before Cooking? - Chowhound
Surely the cooking process must also remove the replaced vitamins and nutrients if rinsing does?

As I have a good varied diet I don't think I need worry bout the loss of nutritional valus in white rice. I don't eat it often enough - once a week if that.

(I do think rinsing it gets rid of some of the dust though and as you don't know where the dust has come from ......)

Surely the cooking process must also remove the replaced vitamins and nutrients if rinsing does?

If you cook rice with the amount of water needed to just cook it through, then no - the water is absorbed into the rice and therefore the nutrients are not washed away.

But it doesn't matter what size your "mug" is. Mine hold a more or less standard 7 ounces.

The point is that you are using twice as much water by volume as rice so it doesn't matter if you use mugs, egg cups or 5 gallon jerry cans.

Of course it matters. If you're using a 10-ounce mug of rice and two 8-ounce cups of water, the ratio is off and the recipe won't work. Better to describe the ratio than an imprecise measure.

Mad Cook appears to use the same mug for the rice as she does the water.

I always had a problem cooking rice until I discovered the cheat's version:-

A mug of rice (rinsed, etc as usual) and two cups of boiling water with salt to taste, placed in a large bowl covered with Clingfilm (plastic wrap) with a small vent. Ten minutes in the microwave, allow to stand for 5 mins, fluff up with a fork and bingo, it works every time.

I don't see where that idea appears, PF.

Btw, I don't consider microwaving white rice to be "the cheat's version." I've been doing it that way for at least fifteen years, and suggesting it every time it comes up here. Boils the rice in the water, same as on the stovetop. How is it cheating?

Btw, I don't consider microwaving white rice to be "the cheat's version." I've been doing it that way for at least fifteen years, and suggesting it every time it comes up here. Boils the rice in the water, same as on the stovetop. How is it cheating?
My fault GG. I didn't notice I'd muddled up cups and mugs.

No, I don't think it's cheating either but I was told off by another poster on either Delia Smith's or Nigella Lawson's website (can't remember which) for posting the mw method..

Last edited:

Anyway, we don't use standard measuring cups for "weighing" ingredients over here. We use scales for dry goods and fats, and measuring jugs for liquids. Makes life so much easier, particularly with baking.

Right here...remember, most of us are home cooks and we do what works for us. MC was giving her technique, she was not offering a recipe.

Right here...remember, most of us are home cooks and we do what works for us. MC was giving her technique, she was not offering a recipe.

I realize that. I'm just saying the technique won't work unless you use the right ratio, which she did not make clear when first describing the technique. Which is why at least one other person asked for clarification.

if you know what kind of rice you're using: basmati, brown rice, the mixed reds, white, etc., wild rice (really not rice), short grain, long grain, risotto, etc.........it doesn't hurt to take a few minutes to look it up on the internet for cooking times........as a rule most take 15-20 minutes with brown rice taking longer......

My rule of thumb that works for me, is to bring the water, salt, butter, to a boil and then throw in the rice, stir with a fork, bring back to a boil, put a lid on it, and lower the heat to simmer........then depending on the type of rice.......that's how long you keep it under the lid........no peeping until the time is up........pretty much works for me........traditional rice cookers are for traditional rices......20 minutes........not brown rice unless it has that feature.......and all of you novices..........go for it and if you screw up so what........it's a learning process......if you don't practice you don't succeed........if you're with good friends, roomie, mate, etc., they'll love you for trying........remember Bridgette Jones and her blue rice???

if you know what kind of rice you're using: basmati, brown rice, the mixed reds, white, etc., wild rice (really not rice), short grain, long grain, risotto, etc.........it doesn't hurt to take a few minutes to look it up on the internet for cooking times........as a rule most take 15-20 minutes with brown rice taking longer......

If I made a variety of rice, I'd make a cheat sheet and tape it to the inside of the kitchen cabinet next to the stove. I do have a cheat sheet like that for doneness of meat.

Back
Top Bottom