"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
IMO, the microwave is one appliance I could not do without. I should say I would not want to part with the microwave.
And not just for heating coffee.
I find myself using it for many tasks in the kitchen.

Do you still make popcorn on the stove top?
That set me to thinking. Yes. The last time I made it, I did it on top of the stove.

Old 08-25-2016, 11:31 PM   #22
Senior Cook

I use Anjum Anand's basmati rice recipe from Indian Food Made Easy. Comes out a treat!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 08-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #23
Master Chef

It's been my experience that the type of rice does make a difference in cooking times.....I just go to the internet to be sure and have never been disappointed (and not all rices need to be rinsed either)....... and there are rice cookers out there that even have settings for brown rice as it takes longer to cook........
Old 08-27-2016, 08:47 AM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
A "mug" isn't any cooking measure that I ever heard of. I've seen 6 ounce mugs and 16 ounce mugs (I even have a beer mug that's 20 ounces). If you use cups for the water, why not for the rice too?
But it doesn't matter what size your "mug" is. Mine hold a more or less standard 7 ounces.

The point is that you are using twice as much water by volume as rice so it doesn't matter if you use mugs, egg cups or 5 gallon jerry cans.

Anyway, we don't use standard measuring cups for "weighing" ingredients over here. We use scales for dry goods and fats, and measuring jugs for liquids. Makes life so much easier, particularly with baking.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
It's been my experience that the type of rice does make a difference in cooking times.....I just go to the internet to be sure and have never been disappointed (and not all rices need to be rinsed either)....... and there are rice cookers out there that even have settings for brown rice as it takes longer to cook........
Ahh, yes. The 2:1 water:rice ratio may not work with brown rice but as I don't like it very much I don't cook it.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:53 AM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
White rice sold in the U.S. is enriched with vitamins and nutrients that were removed in the milling process. Rinsing washes these away, so if you want to keep them, don't rinse.

Should You Rinse Rice Before Cooking? - Chowhound
Surely the cooking process must also remove the replaced vitamins and nutrients if rinsing does?

As I have a good varied diet I don't think I need worry bout the loss of nutritional valus in white rice. I don't eat it often enough - once a week if that.

(I do think rinsing it gets rid of some of the dust though and as you don't know where the dust has come from ......)
Old 08-27-2016, 09:08 AM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Surely the cooking process must also remove the replaced vitamins and nutrients if rinsing does?
If you cook rice with the amount of water needed to just cook it through, then no - the water is absorbed into the rice and therefore the nutrients are not washed away.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:10 AM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
But it doesn't matter what size your "mug" is. Mine hold a more or less standard 7 ounces.

The point is that you are using twice as much water by volume as rice so it doesn't matter if you use mugs, egg cups or 5 gallon jerry cans.
Of course it matters. If you're using a 10-ounce mug of rice and two 8-ounce cups of water, the ratio is off and the recipe won't work. Better to describe the ratio than an imprecise measure.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:13 AM   #29
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Mad Cook appears to use the same mug for the rice as she does the water.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Mad Cook appears to use the same mug for the rice as she does the water.
Thanks, PF. I assumed too much

Tags
cook, rice