"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 08-27-2016, 09:31 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Mad Cook appears to use the same mug for the rice as she does the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I always had a problem cooking rice until I discovered the cheat's version:-

A mug of rice (rinsed, etc as usual) and two cups of boiling water with salt to taste, placed in a large bowl covered with Clingfilm (plastic wrap) with a small vent. Ten minutes in the microwave, allow to stand for 5 mins, fluff up with a fork and bingo, it works every time.
I don't see where that idea appears, PF.

Btw, I don't consider microwaving white rice to be "the cheat's version." I've been doing it that way for at least fifteen years, and suggesting it every time it comes up here. Boils the rice in the water, same as on the stovetop. How is it cheating?

Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post

Btw, I don't consider microwaving white rice to be "the cheat's version." I've been doing it that way for at least fifteen years, and suggesting it every time it comes up here. Boils the rice in the water, same as on the stovetop. How is it cheating?
My fault GG. I didn't notice I'd muddled up cups and mugs.

No, I don't think it's cheating either but I was told off by another poster on either Delia Smith's or Nigella Lawson's website (can't remember which) for posting the mw method..

Old 08-27-2016, 09:45 AM   #33
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
But it doesn't matter what size your "mug" is. Mine hold a more or less standard 7 ounces.

The point is that you are using twice as much water by volume as rice so it doesn't matter if you use mugs, egg cups or 5 gallon jerry cans.

Anyway, we don't use standard measuring cups for "weighing" ingredients over here. We use scales for dry goods and fats, and measuring jugs for liquids. Makes life so much easier, particularly with baking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Right here...remember, most of us are home cooks and we do what works for us. MC was giving her technique, she was not offering a recipe.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
No, I don't think it's cheating either but I was told off by another poster on either Delia Smith's or Nigella Lawson's website (can't remember which) for posting the mw method..
Ah, an elitist...
Old 08-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Yeah, get a rice cooker!
Why? Just one more piece of clutter to take up space in the kitchen. (Unless you have a big family and eat rice everyday.)
Old 08-27-2016, 10:22 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Right here...remember, most of us are home cooks and we do what works for us. MC was giving her technique, she was not offering a recipe.
I realize that. I'm just saying the technique won't work unless you use the right ratio, which she did not make clear when first describing the technique. Which is why at least one other person asked for clarification.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:34 AM   #37
Master Chef

if you know what kind of rice you're using: basmati, brown rice, the mixed reds, white, etc., wild rice (really not rice), short grain, long grain, risotto, etc.........it doesn't hurt to take a few minutes to look it up on the internet for cooking times........as a rule most take 15-20 minutes with brown rice taking longer......

My rule of thumb that works for me, is to bring the water, salt, butter, to a boil and then throw in the rice, stir with a fork, bring back to a boil, put a lid on it, and lower the heat to simmer........then depending on the type of rice.......that's how long you keep it under the lid........no peeping until the time is up........pretty much works for me........traditional rice cookers are for traditional rices......20 minutes........not brown rice unless it has that feature.......and all of you novices..........go for it and if you screw up so what........it's a learning process......if you don't practice you don't succeed........if you're with good friends, roomie, mate, etc., they'll love you for trying........remember Bridgette Jones and her blue rice???
Old 08-27-2016, 10:37 AM   #38
Master Chef

and I forgot to add, that the internet searches for the different rices have different water amounts and that does make a difference!
Old 08-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
if you know what kind of rice you're using: basmati, brown rice, the mixed reds, white, etc., wild rice (really not rice), short grain, long grain, risotto, etc.........it doesn't hurt to take a few minutes to look it up on the internet for cooking times........as a rule most take 15-20 minutes with brown rice taking longer......
If I made a variety of rice, I'd make a cheat sheet and tape it to the inside of the kitchen cabinet next to the stove. I do have a cheat sheet like that for doneness of meat.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:25 AM   #40
Master Chef

Perfecto!!!

Tags
cook, rice