"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-02-2016, 09:28 PM   #51
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
A rice cooker is like a coffee maker. If you use it every day it is definitely worth having it. We use our's almost daily.
Me too. It's also nice because the rice keeps for a day without drying out.

Old 09-02-2016, 11:00 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I don't think my brain was working properly. Sometimes my typing fingers have a mind or my own.
Sometimes my keyboard does. The keys keep slipping under the wrong fingers.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:49 AM   #53
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Don't know if you saw my response, but cooking rice in the microwave results in perfect rice every single time. It stops cooking by itself and stays hot till you need it
Yeah GG I hate my microwave, if you look at a picture of my kitchen it is way up on top of the refrigerator, I make it the most inconvenient piece of cooking gear I use, ever.

I lived in an apartment where that was the only way to cook, no range, no oven that and a hot plate.

You don't want to know what happened to the hotplate.

I learned to cook in the scouts, direct heat, campfire.

Cooking with a microwave oven, for me, feels like cheating, sketchy dorm room cookery, and those bad years where the apartment didn't actually have a stove.

I know there are a lot of reasons not to, but I hate my microwave oven.

TBS
Old 09-03-2016, 07:29 PM   #54
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
Cooking with a microwave oven, for me, feels like cheating, sketchy dorm room cookery, and those bad years where the apartment didn't actually have a stove.
Well, that's just silly It's a tool, kind of like, let's see, a rice cooker? It has its uses. Less water use, less energy use and no heating up the kitchen are a few of its benefits.

I don't really like the term cheating as applied to food preparation. Every food processing innovation has been embraced by successive generations.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #55
Master Chef

I'm going to go with the idea that the real thing that is holding 'fox back from using his microwave is more "sketchy dorm room cookery, and those bad years where the apartment didn't actually have a stove" and less "cheating".
Old 09-04-2016, 11:56 PM   #56
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm going to go with the idea that the real thing that is holding 'fox back from using his microwave is more "sketchy dorm room cookery, and those bad years where the apartment didn't actually have a stove" and less "cheating".
Yeah got it it one CG.

There is a great degree to which you can plot on an x and y axis, how convenient a cooking device or method is say x, and how much satisfaction I get from using said device on y.

Microwave is a great tool, and I use it at times, but it rates high on convenience and utility, but very low on satisfaction. And yeah, using the microwave has bad connotations cooking wise for me.

I mean my ideal kitchen would have a microwave, maybe in a corner, but also a great wood stove with a team I hire just to cut the wood and keep it stoked just right at tall times. That is something I can get when I am rich right?

Also a brigade on call would be rather lovely.

Barring that we live in a fallen world of compromise and incremental failure. I tolerate the rice cooker, I just dislike the microwave.

BTW, all new apartment is secured. Minus, still rocking an electric range not a gas. Plus is a bit more counter space, and enough room in the kitchen to put a cabinet in to use as a pantry. I really need a pantry, particularly as I've started messing about with canning.

We could have gone extra rent for an updated kitchen, which as far as I can see only difference is granite counter tops, newer cabinets and and a built in microwave over the stove.

I'm cool without any of those three things. Cabinet layout is the same, don't care if they are fashionable in color. My counters normally are a mess, I mean once a week I take everything off and clean them very well, but aside from that they get wiped down and often are dusted with flour, have spills, etc... Plus my appliances are mismatched, and kind of beat up, end up for usual often spread about in various stages of cleaning, use, and dismemberment. Looks a little silly with fancy granite counter tops. Plus my last place in Tulsa had formica counters so old they might as well have been bakelite, they would actually *crack* if you kneaded bread to hard. And yeah, melted like a champ if you put something warmer than a tepid cup of tea on them.

Very used to using multiple cutting boards to avoid actually touching the counter. And have a motley selection of cutting boards, ranging from 'can use as a serving board at a dinner party' to, 'LORD what is that awful thing, and you cook on it? It should be bagged, tagged and sent to Walter Reed for research, and you as well as you aren't dead from fixing food on it'

So new kitchen. Bigger. Mine is way too small.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:28 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Yeah got it it one CG.

There is a great degree to which you can plot on an x and y axis, how convenient a cooking device or method is say x, and how much satisfaction I get from using said device on y.

Microwave is a great tool, and I use it at times, but it rates high on convenience and utility, but very low on satisfaction. And yeah, using the microwave has bad connotations cooking wise for me.
Oh, okay. Somehow I had gotten the impression the problem was running out of stove space. I was just trying to help you with that, since presumably you already have a microwave, and, in my experience, cooking plain white rice in the microwave is indistinguishable from cooking it on the stovetop, and I don't have to worry about scorching.

Quote:
My problem in the apartment is I have four burners and an oven. I also have a limited amount of good pots. And rice cooking to consistency really needs a burner and a good pot with lid, so I have to use the good pots, not my stamped aluminum just used to heat up stuff go to hell pots. So both of those are tied up. It is worth the counter space (also a premium, but fungible, where the need for burners of differing temperatures is dynamic), when I am cooking an 'interesting' meal. (define that as using most of my pots, and all my burners at once, which happens with alarming regularity, need a bigger kitchen).
Old 09-05-2016, 02:17 PM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

The romance of that wood burning stove is just that. A romance. We had one in the summer kitchen and it was kept going for canning almost all summer during the day. And then when we moved into the city. we had a wood burning stove with gas jets at the end for cooking. The wood burning part is what heated the apartment in the winter. Getting up in the middle of the night to keep the fire going was never any fun. There was never anything romantic about it. Just ask someone who lives in a log cabin in the far woods of Alaska.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:25 PM   #59
Master Chef

Just a suggestion: In the past when I was short on space or all my burners were engaged, I have used both a bread machine and a rice cooker in another room....we once had a 900sq ft apt and the kitchen was barely big enough to turn around in.....plus it smells nice!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:30 PM   #60
Master Chef

Wink

Quote:
Yeah GG I hate my microwave, if you look at a picture of my kitchen it is way up on top of the refrigerator, I make it the most inconvenient piece of cooking gear I use, ever.

I lived in an apartment where that was the only way to cook, no range, no oven that and a hot plate.

You don't want to know what happened to the hotplate.

I learned to cook in the scouts, direct heat, campfire.

I know there are a lot of reasons not to, but I hate my microwave oven.

TBS
When we lived in Egypt 23 years ago we had a microwave that was not grounded...(actually quite a few things weren't grounded)..can't tell you the number of times we got shocked until we learned to open it just right......you want to talk about a hate/hate relationship......I don't know how many times I banged it after being "bitten"

Tags
cook, rice