Can't cook rice anymore...what gives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
dragonlaw, Hello fellow Ontarian! Regarding your signature saying (Meddle not...etc), here are a couple in the same vein: (Comment by a bear:) "Humans in sleeping bags are like soft tacos." Or, two sharks are observing some surfers in wetsuits. One says to the other, "They're hard to peel, but the insides are delicious."
About rice, and rice cookers: If you are new to rice cookers, you may not yet have discovered that if you plan to put anything else--like meat or vegetables--in with the rice, stuff tends to drop to the bottom and influence the temperature of the cooker. Basically, the cooker thinks it is hotter than water and so it shifts from high to low, because, it believes, the rice is cooked.. You will never get the rice cooked. Hint: make sure your vegies and meat are already cooked. Then, when the plain rice is partially cooked and has a solid surface on its top, you can add the other stuff. When the cooker does at the right time shift to low, you can stir everything together.

Thanks Foxotr, but haven't gotten that far yet. Still having to remember to start an hour before hand.

and hello to you too Ontarian - just come back to my roots, been away a long time.

About rice, and rice cookers: If you are new to rice cookers, you may not yet have discovered that if you plan to put anything else--like meat or vegetables--in with the rice, stuff tends to drop to the bottom and influence the temperature of the cooker. Basically, the cooker thinks it is hotter than water and so it shifts from high to low, because, it believes, the rice is cooked.. You will never get the rice cooked. Hint: make sure your vegies and meat are already cooked. Then, when the plain rice is partially cooked and has a solid surface on its top, you can add the other stuff. When the cooker does at the right time shift to low, you can stir everything together.
I beg to differ. I make both white and brown rice with my rice cooker. I just change the amount of water.

I also make my own recipe Mexican rice, both red and yellow, and I have made rice mixes such a Zatarain's red beans and rice and dirty rice in it with no problem. Just don't confuse Mexican yellow rice with Canadian yellow snow. You're not supposed to eat that.

I checked in my booklet and they do say if you add things to just lay them on top and do not stir and mix them in.

But as said, I have not gotten to that stage yet. Actually never did it before and can't really see why I would add heavy stuff now. But it is certainly something to keep in mind.

81cGQeBxI7L._AC_UL600_FMwebp_QL65_.jpg

This works just fine in a rice cooker. Simply follow the stove top directions on the box.

Last edited:
I can help you here. Bcz a year ago I was in your situation.
Here are the Ingredients that you will need:

-1 cup long-grain white rice
-2 cups water
-1 tablespoon butter or oil (optional)
-Salt (optional)

Now follow these Instructions:
  • Measure 1 cup of long-grain white rice into a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold running water for about 1 minute.
  • Place the rinsed rice into a medium-sized pot and add 2 cups of water.
  • Add 1 tablespoon of butter or oil (optional) and a pinch of salt (optional).
  • Bring the mixture to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
  • Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid.
  • Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed.
  • Remove the pot from the heat and let it stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
The great part is you do not need to cook rice every time before eating. If you cook it once you can easily eat it at 2-3 meals. You just follow these Instructions on How to reheat rice in different ways. I hope it will help you.

Until a while ago I never really knew what pilaf was. When I found out I started to laugh because it seems I've been making it almost since I first learned to cook. Not every time I made rice - but usually. I always flavoured the water with chicken or beef BTB, Knorr, Bovril. I would add chopped sweet peppers or bits of leftover corn/carrots whatever. I just never knew it had a name.

To my way of thinking you should be able to do it with a cooker. Add your rice as normal, add your broth/whatever you would use for your pilaf, and according my instruction book you then add your other bits and bobs do NOT stir it in, let them sit on top.
I'll have to check the book but again, IMHO at the end of cooking I would open the lid and let the excess steam escape. Or one thing I did use was the ATK's way of cooking fluffy rice for one or two - at the end of cooking place a towel across the pot and under the lid. This prevents extra steam from dripping back into your rice. If I wanted fluffy, that's exactly what I would do.

Thanks taxy, although I have not done the above I'll have to give it a try.

Until a while ago I never really knew what pilaf was. When I found out I started to laugh because it seems I've been making it almost since I first learned to cook. Not every time I made rice - but usually. I always flavoured the water with chicken or beef BTB, Knorr, Bovril. I would add chopped sweet peppers or bits of leftover corn/carrots whatever. I just never knew it had a name.
I wish I had learned earlier than I did about adding flavorings and other ingredients to rice. It definitely improves it.

Last edited:
Well, originally I did not sauté the rice first, but much later on started to.
So, I stand corrected - did not realize it was the crucial difference.

thanks GG.

In Creole cooking, water is not allowed in cooking rice! Chicken broth, or some other broth is always used. Rice is sauteed in butter, then the broth is added and the rice is cooked. Bless those East Texas and Louisiana cooks. They come up with some of the best recipes and techniques!!

Back
Top Bottom