Can't cook rice anymore...what gives?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgm82

Assistant Cook
Anybody got any tips for making just plain steamed white rice? I just moved and I can't for the live of me make proper rice in this new house and i don't know why...used to cook it all the time at my old place and it always turned out fine. Same cookware, same brand of rice, same water ratio...only variable is the new stove, which is a bit different from my old one - the low setting is a much lower flame whereas on my old range the flame settled kind of high when on simmer. I've tried messing with the burner settings to compensate but it still winds up undercooked...kind of annoying. Anybody have an idea why this is so?

Anybody got any tips for making just plain steamed white rice? I just moved and I can't for the live of me make proper rice in this new house and i don't know why...used to cook it all the time at my old place and it always turned out fine. Same cookware, same brand of rice, same water ratio...only variable is the new stove, which is a bit different from my old one - the low setting is a much lower flame whereas on my old range the flame settled kind of high when on simmer. I've tried messing with the burner settings to compensate but it still winds up undercooked...kind of annoying. Anybody have an idea why this is so?

Does altitude have any play in your scenario? Other than that, try adding more water and cooking for a bit longer. Sara Moulton has made no bones about it. She has always claimed that even though she is a trained chef and even worked for Julia Child at one point in her career, is rice impaired. She puts in plenty of water. Even more than a cup sometimes. She just makes sure it is well covered in water. Then when she taste tests it for doneness, she drains the excess water off and allows it to steam dry. If all else fails, you can go that route. Good luck! :angel:

Easy Rule-of-thumb Rice recipe - works for any stove:

1. Measure out rice into a pot. I like to toss in a couple of pinches of salt for every cup of rice used.
  2. Add 1.5 times amount of water as rice.
  3. Turn heat to high and leave uncovered.
  4. When the water begins to boil, turn the heat down to the lowest setting and cover the pot.
  5. Simmer for 15 minutes, and resist the urge to remove the lid during this time.
  6. After 15 minutes, remove the lid and check for doneness. If the rice is still a little chewy, replace the lid and leave for another 5 minutes.

Note that with some varieties of rice, you can use up to a 1:2 ratio of rice to water.

I'm guessing change in humidity, weather or altitude. If you've moved to a higher altitude or lower altitude you can contact your local Extension office and they can give you some help.

If you make rice on a regular basis, consider getting a rice cooker. I used to think that a one purpose appliance was ridiculous.... until I got one. I wish I would have bought one years ago. I gave our new mom daughter an Aroma rice cooker ($30 at Amazon) for Christmas, and she shares my opinion that it is indispensable for a working home cook. I no longer work, but it's a real convenience to dump the ingredients in the rice cooker, press the button, and forget about it until the rice is ready. The rice comes out perfect every time.

At the deli we cook rice like pasta...we use lots of water, drop the rice in the water when it starts to boil, let it simmer on a low boil, stirring occasionally, keep checking it. When it is ready to our liking we strain it in the sink, then put it back in the pot and run cold water on it to stop it from cooking any further. Finally, once it has cooled, we strain it again and let it sit in the strainer for a few minutes until it is well drained... then we can use it how we wish. Microwave it, add some cooked ingredients to it for a pilaf, throw it in soups, fry it with veggies, etc....

Last edited:
Unless I'm flavoring it, I make rice in the microwave. It's foolproof.

1 cup rice
2 cups liquid (water or broth)
1 tsp salt

Combine ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl; cover with a paper towel. Microwave on high for 7 minutes. Stir and microwave on high for 8 more minutes. Done.

My method is from Robert Irvine and I've NEVER had a fail. If I'm making rice for both of us, I'll wash the rice then drain in a colander to get rid of the extra starch and water. Just for me, I don't mind the extra starch so I skip that step. If I've washed, I'll heat about a quarter cup LESS liquid than that particular rice calls for to boiling, add the rice, stir, bring it back to boil, cover, turn burner off and let the pan set until I'm done with rest of meal, at minimum 20 minutes, and it's ALWAYS perfectly done.

My method is from Robert Irvine and I've NEVER had a fail. If I'm making rice for both of us, I'll wash the rice then drain in a colander to get rid of the extra starch and water. Just for me, I don't mind the extra starch so I skip that step. If I've washed, I'll heat about a quarter cup LESS liquid than that particular rice calls for to boiling, add the rice, stir, bring it back to boil, cover, turn burner off and let the pan set until I'm done with rest of meal, at minimum 20 minutes, and it's ALWAYS perfectly done.
White rice sold in the U.S. is enriched with vitamins and nutrients that were removed in the milling process. Rinsing washes these away, so if you want to keep them, don't rinse.

Should You Rinse Rice Before Cooking? - Chowhound

A. It's not rice packaged in U.S.

B. If someone you are cooking for prefers it rinsed, you rinse...

I love my Tiger rice cooker. My hubby uses a generic brand cooker, and his rice always comes out burnt. But I've never had problems with Tiger or Zojirushi cookers.

I use the 2:1 ratio, 2 cups water to 1 cup rice, or any variation of that. That's for jasmine rice. It comes out a bit wet, but I prefer it that way, I let it warm in the cooker for 2-3 hours and it's perfect.

Rice is the only think I can do right.
First of all I leave the rice to rest in cold wather for half hour. Then for the cooking:
1 portion of rice (depends on how many are eating)
3 portions of wather
1 tsp salt
Bring to boil, don't stir too much.

I always had a problem cooking rice until I discovered the cheat's version:-

A mug of rice (rinsed, etc as usual) and two cups of boiling water with salt to taste, placed in a large bowl covered with Clingfilm (plastic wrap) with a small vent. Ten minutes in the microwave, allow to stand for 5 mins, fluff up with a fork and bingo, it works every time.

(By the way, I use Basmati rice. The extra cost is worth it.)

Last edited:
I NEVER think to us the MW for cooking items.:rolleyes: Only heating up coffee. :angel:
I don't make a habit of it but I do use it for cooking an individual portion of salmon, porridge, and occasionally when I crave a poached egg (which I can't make any other way, sob!) and frozen peas, etc. I also use it to melt butter for a cake, etc.

I don't actually cook anything special in it.

I guess for me, old habits are hard to break. I still melt butter on a low burner on the stove. I just don't think of the MW as a shortcut. :angel:

I always had a problem cooking rice until I discovered the cheat's version:-

A mug of rice (rinsed, etc as usual) and two cups of boiling water with salt to taste, placed in a large bowl covered with Clingfilm (plastic wrap) with a small vent. Ten minutes in the microwave, allow to stand for 5 mins, fluff up with a fork and bingo, it works every time.

(By the way, I use Basmati rice. The extra cost is worth it.)

A "mug" isn't any cooking measure that I ever heard of. I've seen 6 ounce mugs and 16 ounce mugs (I even have a beer mug that's 20 ounces). If you use cups for the water, why not for the rice too?

I guess for me, old habits are hard to break. I still melt butter on a low burner on the stove. I just don't think of the MW as a shortcut. :angel:

IMO, the microwave is one appliance I could not do without. I should say I would not want to part with the microwave.
And not just for heating coffee.
I find myself using it for many tasks in the kitchen.

Do you still make popcorn on the stove top?

Back
Top Bottom