Can't find the Mac n Cheese Recipe I'm looking for, PLEASE HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aphr0dit3

Assistant Cook
A few months ago, I did a search on google and found the perfect Mac n Cheese recipe, but I cannot find it anymore. I tried other ones, but it just didn't compare to the one I used.

Here are somethings I remember about the recipe:

- 4 slices of bread
- 4 cups of milk

I remember making some sort of milk and flour mixture. When the macaroni was ready, I mixed the cheese and the milk/flour mixture with the pasta. Topped it with bread crumbs that were soaked in melted butter and grated parmesan cheese. I think I used three different types of cheese. I'm not positive if i used parmesan or percorino or if there's a difference between the 2.

The most popular one I saw was the martha stewart one, asking for 6 slices of bread and 5.5 cups of milk. I tried that recipe and it just didn't turn out the same.

Any help will be much appreciated!!! :pig:

Close...

It was definitely some white cheeses invovled. I think it asked for grueyere.

All I can suggest is do another google search - here is the list I came up with. I hate finding that perfect recipe and then losing it!!!!!!!! :mad:

Welcome to DC.

I don't know how far your browser history goes back, but you could try the drop down list of your searches in your browser. Hopefully, you can find it again. I have two recipes - one with smoked gouda (& spinach) and the other is a Greek mac 'n cheese. The method might be close, but sounds like your recipe might serve a larger amount (i.e. 4 cups of milk for the sauce, & 4 slices of bread for the crumbs). If either, I've mentioned, sounds interesting, let me know. Good luck. ;)

Here's one that I use all the time, and it's a sure-fire recipe that just can't miss! The cheese sauce is always creamy;

1 medium block of Velveeta cheese*.

1 box (8 oz.) elbow macaroni, ziti or large elbow macaroni product.

1 egg, beaten.

2 cups milk.

1 T. butter.

Dash of pepper.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Boil macaroni to eldente' (hard a little bit). Drain off water. Do not rinse product!

Cut Velveeta cheese block into small cubes. Add to macaroni. Add milk, butter and pepper. Stir until egg is well blended into milk (Add beaten egg last to prevent precooking).

Empty mixture into greased casserole. Bake covered for about 45 minutes. Stir about every 15 minutes during baking. Uncover for the last 15 minutes to brown the top of macaroni. Or place under broiler for a minute or so to brown top.

Enjoy!

*Do NOT use salt in this recipe, as the cheese itself has enough salt to flavor the casserole.

Last edited:
I believe the original post in this thread refers to Michael Chu's site, cookingforengineers.com. This is an off-the-beaten-track recipe source, but a very good one, with step-by-step illustrations included (engineering types tend to be kitchen-challenged, I guess.)

The Mac-'n-Cheese recipe looks awfully rich, and awfully good. I've been planning to use it myself shortly.

Last edited:
I make a similar non-traditional macoroni with white cheese sauce. it might not be what you are looking for but its a crowd pleaser here so you may want to give it a shot:

Ingredients:

- Orzo Pasta
- 1/2 to 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmasean
- 1/4 cup grated grueyere.
- 1/4 cup grated roman
- crushed black pepper
- 1 tbsp butter, 1 tbspn flour

Directions:

Important - before preparing this dish try and get the cream really cold and leave the cheese out so it is room temperature. mixing the cheese and cream at the same temp. may result in some lumpiness.

1) combined the grated cheeses in a small bowl and toss together

2) over a very low flame mix the flour and butter to make a roux.

3) pour in a bit of cream and a hand full of cheese and keep a constant stir with a wooden spoon. continue to mix until all the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth

4) repeat step 3 continuing to add cream and cheese stirring constantly over a low flame until all the cheese is gone or until you have reached the desired amount of sauce. (you may want add more cheese and less cream depending on how thick you want it)

5) sprinkle generously with pepper and stir.

6) toss the orzo (prepare using standard package directions) with just enough of the sauce so that it is generously coated, but not soupy. top with some parsley and serve immedietly

The key to this sauce is simple...Patience and a low flame. if you take your time and slowly mix in the cheese it will turn out great with no lumps and a great creamy cheesy flavor. you can use elbows but i usually like orzo.

You can also add some sliced jalapeno's to the sauce to make "rattlesnake pasta" which you may have had at pizzeria uno... this sauce is also great mixed with rice pilaf.

I created an excellent tuna noodle casserole that would make an excellent mac & cheese dish, if you left the tuna and the haricot verts out.

NEW AGE TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE

½ cup soy sauce
½ cup dry sherry
½ cup sesame oil
½ cup ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
1 tsp grey sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb Sashimi grade Ahi tuna
3 eggs
2 cups flour
½ tsp kosher salt
2 quarts chicken stock
2 Tbs butter
½ cup celery, chopped
1 shallot, diced
2 cups assorted mushrooms, chopped
1 ½ cups haricot verts
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ cup olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp fresh thyme
½ cup sour cream
1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
½ cup camembert cheese, diced
4 ounces dry white wine
Pinch of nutmeg
¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
¼ cup carrot, diced small
¼ cup red bell pepper, diced small

Combine soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, sea salt and black pepper and marinate tuna for one hour. Remove tuna from marinade and discard marinade. Place tuna in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water and cover. Steam for 6 to 8 minutes or until tuna flakes easily with a fork. Flake the tuna and put aside.

Beat eggs until frothy. Combine flour, kosher salt, and eggs to form a dough. Knead dough until smooth. Turn dough onto a floured cutting board and roll dough, turning often, until very thin. Let dough dry 45 minutes, then turn and dry another 1/2 hour. Cut dried dough into noodles. Drop noodles into boiling chicken stock, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and put aside.

Sauté celery and shallot in 2 Tbs butter until soft. Add mushrooms, Sauté unitl done, then put aside. Place 1 ½ cups haricot verts in boiling water for 5 minutes, then into ice bath. Combine tuna, noodles, celery, shallots, mushrooms, and haricot verts in a bowl.

Finely chop garlic and combine with salt. Place the egg yolk and Dijon mustard in a bowl and whisk. Slowly add olive oil as you continue to whisk. Once you've blended in all the olive oil, add the garlic, lemon, and thyme. Add the sour cream, gruyere cheese, camembert cheese, white wine, and nutmeg, then fold in the tuna, noodles, celery, shallots, mushrooms, and haricot verts.

Spoon misture into a buttered 4 quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle top with scallion, carrot, and bell pepper.

I created an excellent tuna noodle casserole that would make an excellent mac & cheese dish, if you left the tuna and the haricot verts out.

NEW AGE TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE

½ cup soy sauce
½ cup dry sherry
½ cup sesame oil
½ cup ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
1 tsp grey sea salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 lb Sashimi grade Ahi tuna
3 eggs
2 cups flour
½ tsp kosher salt
2 quarts chicken stock
2 Tbs butter
½ cup celery, chopped
1 shallot, diced
2 cups assorted mushrooms, chopped
1 ½ cups haricot verts
1 clove of garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ cup olive oil
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp fresh thyme
½ cup sour cream
1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
½ cup camembert cheese, diced
4 ounces dry white wine
Pinch of nutmeg
¼ cup scallions, thinly sliced, white and green parts
¼ cup carrot, diced small
¼ cup red bell pepper, diced small

Combine soy sauce, sherry, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, sea salt and black pepper and marinate tuna for one hour. Remove tuna from marinade and discard marinade. Place tuna in a steamer over 1 inch of boiling water and cover. Steam for 6 to 8 minutes or until tuna flakes easily with a fork. Flake the tuna and put aside.

Beat eggs until frothy. Combine flour, kosher salt, and eggs to form a dough. Knead dough until smooth. Turn dough onto a floured cutting board and roll dough, turning often, until very thin. Let dough dry 45 minutes, then turn and dry another 1/2 hour. Cut dried dough into noodles. Drop noodles into boiling chicken stock, reduce heat, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and put aside.

Sauté celery and shallot in 2 Tbs butter until soft. Add mushrooms, Sauté unitl done, then put aside. Place 1 ½ cups haricot verts in boiling water for 5 minutes, then into ice bath. Combine tuna, noodles, celery, shallots, mushrooms, and haricot verts in a bowl.

Finely chop garlic and combine with salt. Place the egg yolk and Dijon mustard in a bowl and whisk. Slowly add olive oil as you continue to whisk. Once you've blended in all the olive oil, add the garlic, lemon, and thyme. Add the sour cream, gruyere cheese, camembert cheese, white wine, and nutmeg, then fold in the tuna, noodles, celery, shallots, mushrooms, and haricot verts.

Spoon misture into a buttered 4 quart casserole. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle top with scallion, carrot, and bell pepper.

you have me drooling.... i LOVE tuna cassarole!

Back
Top Bottom