Caprese pasta idea TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kadesma

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
Before all those sweet juicy summer tomatoes are gone you might like this.
Cook a pack of spaghetti, then just toss it with evoo,salt and pepper, bite size chunks of fresh tomatoes, shredded basil, parsley chopped, mozzarella slices, and red onion rings if you like. We enjoy it at room temp and cold is also pretty good... Serve with some warm crusty french bread and butter and your favorite warm weather drink..Wish I'd thought of this earlier, it's delish:-p
kadesma

Before all those sweet juicy summer tomatoes are gone you might like this.
Cook a pack of spaghetti, then just toss it with evoo,salt and pepper, bite size chunks of fresh tomatoes, shredded basil, parsley chopped, mozzarella slices, and red onion rings if you like. We enjoy it at room temp and cold is also pretty good... Serve with some warm crusty french bread and butter and your favorite warm weather drink..Wish I'd thought of this earlier, it's delish:-p
kadesma

Kadesma, this is one of my fave cold pasta (salad) dishes, especially during the summer when it's too hot to cook. I add fresh mozzarella (boccocinni sp), sometimes grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced black olives, garlic, and on occasion, shredded chicken to make it a whole meal. Prosciutto is another nice add in or chopped marinated artichoke hearts. I change it out sometimes with different pasta - bowties/farfalle, whole wheat pasta, tri-color rotini - cheese-filled ravioli works well too. In a pinch, pesto or Italian dressing. Another idea - sprinkle the dish with toasted pine nuts & serve with garlic bread. YUM. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Kadesma, this is one of my fave cold pasta (salad) dishes, especially during the summer when it's too hot to cook. I add fresh mozzarella (boccocinni sp), sometimes grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced black olives, garlic, and on occasion, shredded chicken to make it a whole meal. Prosciutto is another nice add in or chopped marinated artichoke hearts. I change it out sometimes with different pasta - bowties/farfalle, whole wheat pasta, tri-color rotini - cheese-filled ravioli works well too. In a pinch, pesto or Italian dressing. Another idea - sprinkle the dish with toasted pine nuts & serve with garlic bread. YUM. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Amy,
Prosciutto yum what a good idea I love the stuff and the grape tomatoes will be great when mine are all used up. Boy am I glad your here, you have some great ideas..Thank you:)
kads

Hi Amy,
Prosciutto yum what a good idea I love the stuff and the grape tomatoes will be great when mine are all used up. Boy am I glad your here, you have some great ideas..Thank you:)
kads

I luv pasta! Another take - maybe add some garbanzos or top the dish w herb/cheese croutons & add some fresh grated parm over the top. Forgot to mention - tortellini or gnocchi would be another way to go & add some sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil - use the oil in the pasta dish.

Another twist - fresh ricotta (in place of mozzarella), lemon zest, fresh basil chiffonade & finely chopped garlic or shallots (soaked in water - gotta look that one up again), and maybe some red pepper flakes. Did I mention I luv pasta:)

Last edited:
I make it just as you cj but I will throw some basil, garlic, olive oil, kosher salt in a food processor and use that as the dressing - then just add some tomatoes.

EDITED TO ADD - sorry, a customer came in and I had to go. I always add tomatoes and water-packed mozzarella cut in cubes or just sliced. I really don't think there is anything else I add as this is one of those things that when I crave it I want it the basic way.

AND I do mine in the food processor, not blender like I originally said. I like it more chopped than pureed.

Last edited:
I make it just as you cj but I will throw some basil, garlic, olive oil, kosher salt in a food processor and use that as the dressing - then just add some tomatoes.
Now that sounds like a great way to make the dressing Elf..Next time I'll try it that way...Thanks
cj:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Love it! I also like to add shrimp, mushrooms, and scallions, though I do eat it warm.

These ideas sound a lot like a Tuscan pasta salad I ate that was really good. I will have to try them soon.

Back
Top Bottom