"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 09-28-2007, 10:30 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Caprese pasta idea TNT

Before all those sweet juicy summer tomatoes are gone you might like this.
Cook a pack of spaghetti, then just toss it with evoo,salt and pepper, bite size chunks of fresh tomatoes, shredded basil, parsley chopped, mozzarella slices, and red onion rings if you like. We enjoy it at room temp and cold is also pretty good... Serve with some warm crusty french bread and butter and your favorite warm weather drink..Wish I'd thought of this earlier, it's delish
kadesma

Old 09-28-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Before all those sweet juicy summer tomatoes are gone you might like this.
Cook a pack of spaghetti, then just toss it with evoo,salt and pepper, bite size chunks of fresh tomatoes, shredded basil, parsley chopped, mozzarella slices, and red onion rings if you like. We enjoy it at room temp and cold is also pretty good... Serve with some warm crusty french bread and butter and your favorite warm weather drink..Wish I'd thought of this earlier, it's delish
kadesma
Kadesma, this is one of my fave cold pasta (salad) dishes, especially during the summer when it's too hot to cook. I add fresh mozzarella (boccocinni sp), sometimes grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced black olives, garlic, and on occasion, shredded chicken to make it a whole meal. Prosciutto is another nice add in or chopped marinated artichoke hearts. I change it out sometimes with different pasta - bowties/farfalle, whole wheat pasta, tri-color rotini - cheese-filled ravioli works well too. In a pinch, pesto or Italian dressing. Another idea - sprinkle the dish with toasted pine nuts & serve with garlic bread. YUM. Thanks for sharing.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
Kadesma, this is one of my fave cold pasta (salad) dishes, especially during the summer when it's too hot to cook. I add fresh mozzarella (boccocinni sp), sometimes grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced black olives, garlic, and on occasion, shredded chicken to make it a whole meal. Prosciutto is another nice add in or chopped marinated artichoke hearts. I change it out sometimes with different pasta - bowties/farfalle, whole wheat pasta, tri-color rotini - cheese-filled ravioli works well too. In a pinch, pesto or Italian dressing. Another idea - sprinkle the dish with toasted pine nuts & serve with garlic bread. YUM. Thanks for sharing.
Hi Amy,
Prosciutto yum what a good idea I love the stuff and the grape tomatoes will be great when mine are all used up. Boy am I glad your here, you have some great ideas..Thank you
kads
Old 09-28-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
Hi Amy,
Prosciutto yum what a good idea I love the stuff and the grape tomatoes will be great when mine are all used up. Boy am I glad your here, you have some great ideas..Thank you
kads
I luv pasta! Another take - maybe add some garbanzos or top the dish w herb/cheese croutons & add some fresh grated parm over the top. Forgot to mention - tortellini or gnocchi would be another way to go & add some sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil - use the oil in the pasta dish.

Another twist - fresh ricotta (in place of mozzarella), lemon zest, fresh basil chiffonade & finely chopped garlic or shallots (soaked in water - gotta look that one up again), and maybe some red pepper flakes. Did I mention I luv pasta
Old 09-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I make it just as you cj but I will throw some basil, garlic, olive oil, kosher salt in a food processor and use that as the dressing - then just add some tomatoes.

EDITED TO ADD - sorry, a customer came in and I had to go. I always add tomatoes and water-packed mozzarella cut in cubes or just sliced. I really don't think there is anything else I add as this is one of those things that when I crave it I want it the basic way.

AND I do mine in the food processor, not blender like I originally said. I like it more chopped than pureed.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 01:40 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I make it just as you cj but I will throw some basil, garlic, olive oil, kosher salt in a food processor and use that as the dressing - then just add some tomatoes.
Now that sounds like a great way to make the dressing Elf..Next time I'll try it that way...Thanks
cj
Old 09-28-2007, 01:47 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Love it! I also like to add shrimp, mushrooms, and scallions, though I do eat it warm.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:59 PM   #8
Executive Chef

These ideas sound a lot like a Tuscan pasta salad I ate that was really good. I will have to try them soon.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:26 PM   #9
Master Chef

Gee, that sounds good. Kim's going to be gone this weekend, and I may just whip some up.

Tags
None