"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 03-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
Cook

Angry Carbonara, recipe from Rome, Italy

Hi all!

I am an italian amateur cook from Rome, Italy.

I want to learn English, so I have decided to start writing here some italian recipes to check my English level...

I'll show to anyone 100% original italian recipes and I'll try to reply to all your questions, so I hope you'll correct my mistakes...

I want to start with the number 1 typical Roman recpie: CARBONARA!

4 persons

400gr italian pasta (I prefer "mezze maniche", but this kind of dish is usually prepared with "spaghetti")

150gr. guanciale (You'll read a lot of recipes where someone uses bacon: THIS IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!! Never try this @ home...)

pepper

100gr. pecorino (as for guanciale and bacon, NEVER USE PARMIGIANO: the pecorino's flavour is stronger, and it highlliths guanciale!)

5 eggs (4 egg yolks and 1 entire)

1 Take a pot and put inside wather, and start to heat it
2 Take the guanciale, slice it to obtain 5x1 cm pieces, put it in a large pan and start to heat it. Never use oil! Guanciale will become transparent and will release self-produced oil when it will be cooked! Fire have to be high and guanciale have be crisp!
3 Take the eggs (yolks and the entire) and start to shake it in a small container. You have to shake eggs for 5 minutes: it will be prepared when you start to see little bubbles all over the cream ()
4 Add pecorino, pepper to the obtained cream and continue to shake for 5 minutes. The result does not have lumps! It should appear as a cream! You can use a mixer to do it.
5 Add guanciale (with the obtained oil) to the cream and mix slowly with a spoon.
6 Put pasta in the wather (wather have to boli!!!). Take pasta very "al dente", drain pasta and put it in the cream container.

Start to mix pasta and cream for 3 minutes: don't worry if, at the start of this operation, cream will remain on the bottom of the container! If you mix it for 3/5 minutes, taking the cream from bottom to top with a spoon and a fork, it will fix to pasta in a perfect way!

Tip: NEVER TRY THIS OPERATION ON THE FLAME! It will be accompished with no other heat source than the pasta! We wont to obtain a carbonara, not pasta and omelette...

This will be the result! If you want, you can add pepper and pecorino to exalt a little more the indistinguishable carbonara flavour.

Do not be stingy with pepper!!!

I hope you enjoy!

PS: my English is terrible...
PPS: I'll try to answer to all your questions!
PPPS: I hope to put picture ASAP to show you all these steps.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
Cook

*****##}>{>}

I have done a terrible mistake....

Italian word "GUANCIALE" have 2 different translations...

PILLOW and GUANCIALE...

Never try to put any pillow on carbonara...

AAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

Old 03-19-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Most folks in the US will have better access to pancetta than guanciale. We make our carbonara with pancetta and parmesan. There are as many "traditional" recipes for this dish as there are nonnas! BTW, welcome to DC.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
Cook

Hi CraigC, ty for reply!

I didn't know that in US guanciale was not so easy to buy.

For pecorino is the same?

I have cooked a lot of times carbonara, trying each time to change something (parmigiano instead of pecorino, or parmigiano and pecorino together, pancetta intstead of guanciale) but IMHO I thing that guanciale+pecorino is the best way to obtain a perfect dish.

But the essence of carbonara is that the cream have to be fixed to the pasta: to do this, the only way is to mix without any other heat source than the pasta itself. Otherwise, the egg become cooked and white, as an omelette...

PS: was my English ok?
PPS: what does "nonnas" means?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Master Chef

Welcome to DC your English could not be possible any worse than mine, so you are ok. As far as "guanciale" what is it?
Old 03-19-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Nonna is a grandmother

Guanciale is meat from the pig's cheek that is cured like bacon and pancetta. It's not smoked.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #7
Cook

This is guanciale:

This is pancetta:

This is "Lardo di colonnata":

As you can see, the % of "fat" (is fat right?) change.

Guanciale is used to cook amatriciana or carbonara sauce, but often in Italy we use pancetta for the same sauces.

I prefer guanciale, cause its flavour is a little bit "gentle". And I prefer pecorino to parmigiano, cause pecorino's flavour is stronger!

Instead, "lardo di colonnata" is often grilled with some pieces of bread, and never used to cook pasta.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Master Chef

So,let me ask you a question if i cannot use any of the meat products can I just use some oil?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Cook

So which product you want to use?

Bacon?
Old 03-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #10
Master Chef

No meat, none of any kind.

Tags
eggs, italy, pillow, recipe

Carbonara, recipe from Rome, Italy Hi all! I am an italian amateur cook from Rome, Italy. I want to learn English, so I have decided to start writing here some italian recipes to check my English level... I'll show to anyone 100% original italian recipes and I'll try to reply to all your questions, so I hope you'll correct my mistakes... I want to start with the number 1 typical Roman recpie: CARBONARA! 4 persons 400gr italian pasta (I prefer "mezze maniche", but this kind of dish is usually prepared with "spaghetti") 150gr. guanciale (You'll read a lot of recipes where someone uses bacon: THIS IS ABSOLUTELY WRONG!!! Never try this @ home...) pepper 100gr. pecorino (as for guanciale and bacon, NEVER USE PARMIGIANO: the pecorino's flavour is stronger, and it highlliths guanciale!) 5 eggs (4 egg yolks and 1 entire) 1 Take a pot and put inside wather, and start to heat it 2 Take the guanciale, slice it to obtain 5x1 cm pieces, put it in a large pan and start to heat it. Never use oil! Guanciale will become transparent and will release self-produced oil when it will be cooked! Fire have to be high and guanciale have be crisp! 3 Take the eggs (yolks and the entire) and start to shake it in a small container. You have to shake eggs for 5 minutes: it will be prepared when you start to see little bubbles all over the cream (:wink:) 4 Add pecorino, pepper to the obtained cream and continue to shake for 5 minutes. The result does not have lumps! It should appear as a cream! You can use a mixer to do it. 5 Add guanciale (with the obtained oil) to the cream and mix slowly with a spoon. 6 Put pasta in the wather (wather have to boli!!!). Take pasta very "al dente", drain pasta and put it in the cream container. Start to mix pasta and cream for 3 minutes: don't worry if, at the start of this operation, cream will remain on the bottom of the container! If you mix it for 3/5 minutes, taking the cream from bottom to top with a spoon and a fork, it will fix to pasta in a perfect way! Tip: NEVER TRY THIS OPERATION ON THE FLAME! It will be accompished with no other heat source than the pasta! We wont to obtain a carbonara, not pasta and omelette... This will be the result! If you want, you can add pepper and pecorino to exalt a little more the indistinguishable carbonara flavour. Do not be stingy with pepper!!! I hope you enjoy! PS: my English is terrible... PPS: I'll try to answer to all your questions! PPPS: I hope to put picture ASAP to show you all these steps. 3 stars 1 reviews