"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
In Paula and Bobby's defense, they both said it wasn't something they had had often and Paula had never had it so she didn't have a base to compare it to in the first place (unless she was equating it with bean soup of some kind). I'll end up watching the ep again but I'm sure he said he hadn't had that many. Then again, maybe he doesn't usually like it and the more down homeness of Lisa's quick cook was better to him. It really did look like white bean stew. And, remember, they are trying to pimp a new show. Viewers aren't voting this time and and they've already picked the winner so maybe she won and they edited that creatively so people would think she's good at what she does.
mentioned here is soup, and this cassoulet thing is interesting to me and something I will get made, I know me. Campbells bean with bacon is my favorite Campbells soup. wonder if there's a connection

Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
mentioned here is soup, and this cassoulet thing is interesting to me and something I will get made, I know me. Campbells bean with bacon is my favorite Campbells soup. wonder if there's a connection
That's exactly what I thought of when I saw her cassoulet. It looked just like that only with a duck leg on top.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
Executive Chef

ChefJune, you are right, the final cook of a cassoulet is a stew, but several cuts of meat need either roasting or braising before being used. I make it yearly after a leg of lamb, a pork roast, a duck, etc. so I have all the bits and pieces. But if I do a quick one with lamb shanks and unsmoked pork hocks, it starts as a braise.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Let's see, her long version has all kinds of gross meats and her quick one had the duck leg on top, easy to remove. Definitely down home not froo froo like her 8 hour version. Cassoulet sounds French which is froo froo, not down home. Just the ingredients are froo froo. What she ended up doing was more like butter bean stew.
Why do you say that French makes it "froo froo?" Most French food is plain and homely, like Cassoulet. Because you think some of the meat in Julia's long version is "gross," doesn't make it "froo-froo" whatever that means. Have you ever been to France? You might find that the food is nothing like you think..... I'm guessing you are mixing all French food with "fancy restaurant food" -- wherever it comes from, and you couldn't be more wrong.

Duck confit is "normal" in cassoulet, as is lamb (not the leg or the rack, but the shoulder) and sausages and lots of beans. I have never seen a bean dish that I wouldn't classify as "down home" as compared to fancy, if that's what you meant by "froo-froo."
Old 07-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
ChefJune, you are right, the final cook of a cassoulet is a stew, but several cuts of meat need either roasting or braising before being used. I make it yearly after a leg of lamb, a pork roast, a duck, etc. so I have all the bits and pieces. But if I do a quick one with lamb shanks and unsmoked pork hocks, it starts as a braise.
Robo... do you call Beef Stew a braise?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Lefse, I think Cassoulet has more in common with a casserole dish of Baked Beans, esoecially when sausages and bacon are added.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Why do you say that French makes it "froo froo?" Most French food is plain and homely, like Cassoulet. Because you think some of the meat in Julia's long version is "gross," doesn't make it "froo-froo" whatever that means. Have you ever been to France? You might find that the food is nothing like you think..... I'm guessing you are mixing all French food with "fancy restaurant food" -- wherever it comes from, and you couldn't be more wrong.

Duck confit is "normal" in cassoulet, as is lamb (not the leg or the rack, but the shoulder) and sausages and lots of beans. I have never seen a bean dish that I wouldn't classify as "down home" as compared to fancy, if that's what you meant by "froo-froo."
Who's Julia???? You've lost me.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #28
Executive Chef

having A+ blood means I am a veg and fruit person.
I love beans of all kinds and in any concoction.
They are homey as ChefJune says, very homey.
Very much [to me anyway] comfort food.
It's also often times a protein for me.
If mixed with the other ingredients that make it a whole protein.
Dr. asks me to eat more meat please, I prefer things of this nature however. A little meat in there, of any sort, is fine, just not gobs of it.
The duck leg used on the show, looked just like it was simply put on top, maybe though to let you know it was part of the inner ingredients of the complete dish, dunno.
Love lamb and am in favor of that, love ham hocks and wonder if those could work, sausages, not so much, although my doll does.

I've been to France and the food there was nothing like I expected, nothing that hubby and I expected at all. Italy on the other hand, was exactly what I expected and did not disappoint.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
having A+ blood means I am a veg and fruit person.
I love beans of all kinds and in any concoction.
They are homey as ChefJune says, very homey.
Very much [to me anyway] comfort food.
It's also often times a protein for me.
If mixed with the other ingredients that make it a whole protein.
Dr. asks me to eat more meat please, I prefer things of this nature however. A little meat in there, of any sort, is fine, just not gobs of it.
The duck leg used on the show, looked just like it was simply put on top, maybe though to let you know it was part of the inner ingredients of the complete dish, dunno.
Love lamb and am in favor of that, love ham hocks and wonder if those could work, sausages, not so much, although my doll does.

I've been to France and the food there was nothing like I expected, nothing that hubby and I expected at all. Italy on the other hand, was exactly what I expected and did not disappoint.
Lefse, I think she put the duck leg on top for looks, rather than mixing it in, because you and I both know that a dish of beans, although a delicious thing indeed, is not particularly pretty....
Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
If it had been any other contestant that made it I would have been willing to try but I can't stand Lisa. I hope she doesn't win. Funny how they aren't letting fans vote this season.
i think she has the strangest eyes and or make-up on them, don't you. i like the funny guy, forgot his name. hope he wins.

babe

Tags
None