"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
In Paula and Bobby's defense, they both said it wasn't something they had had often and Paula had never had it so she didn't have a base to compare it to in the first place (unless she was equating it with bean soup of some kind). I'll end up watching the ep again but I'm sure he said he hadn't had that many. Then again, maybe he doesn't usually like it and the more down homeness of Lisa's quick cook was better to him. It really did look like white bean stew. And, remember, they are trying to pimp a new show. Viewers aren't voting this time and and they've already picked the winner so maybe she won and they edited that creatively so people would think she's good at what she does.
mentioned here is soup, and this cassoulet thing is interesting to me and something I will get made, I know me. Campbells bean with bacon is my favorite Campbells soup. wonder if there's a connection
__________________

__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:09 PM   #22
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
mentioned here is soup, and this cassoulet thing is interesting to me and something I will get made, I know me. Campbells bean with bacon is my favorite Campbells soup. wonder if there's a connection
That's exactly what I thought of when I saw her cassoulet. It looked just like that only with a duck leg on top.
__________________

__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #23
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,655
ChefJune, you are right, the final cook of a cassoulet is a stew, but several cuts of meat need either roasting or braising before being used. I make it yearly after a leg of lamb, a pork roast, a duck, etc. so I have all the bits and pieces. But if I do a quick one with lamb shanks and unsmoked pork hocks, it starts as a braise.
__________________
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #24
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Let's see, her long version has all kinds of gross meats and her quick one had the duck leg on top, easy to remove. Definitely down home not froo froo like her 8 hour version. Cassoulet sounds French which is froo froo, not down home. Just the ingredients are froo froo. What she ended up doing was more like butter bean stew.
Why do you say that French makes it "froo froo?" Most French food is plain and homely, like Cassoulet. Because you think some of the meat in Julia's long version is "gross," doesn't make it "froo-froo" whatever that means. Have you ever been to France? You might find that the food is nothing like you think..... I'm guessing you are mixing all French food with "fancy restaurant food" -- wherever it comes from, and you couldn't be more wrong.

Duck confit is "normal" in cassoulet, as is lamb (not the leg or the rack, but the shoulder) and sausages and lots of beans. I have never seen a bean dish that I wouldn't classify as "down home" as compared to fancy, if that's what you meant by "froo-froo."
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:34 PM   #25
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
ChefJune, you are right, the final cook of a cassoulet is a stew, but several cuts of meat need either roasting or braising before being used. I make it yearly after a leg of lamb, a pork roast, a duck, etc. so I have all the bits and pieces. But if I do a quick one with lamb shanks and unsmoked pork hocks, it starts as a braise.
Robo... do you call Beef Stew a braise?
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #26
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
mentioned here is soup, and this cassoulet thing is interesting to me and something I will get made, I know me. Campbells bean with bacon is my favorite Campbells soup. wonder if there's a connection
Lefse, I think Cassoulet has more in common with a casserole dish of Baked Beans, esoecially when sausages and bacon are added.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #27
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
Why do you say that French makes it "froo froo?" Most French food is plain and homely, like Cassoulet. Because you think some of the meat in Julia's long version is "gross," doesn't make it "froo-froo" whatever that means. Have you ever been to France? You might find that the food is nothing like you think..... I'm guessing you are mixing all French food with "fancy restaurant food" -- wherever it comes from, and you couldn't be more wrong.

Duck confit is "normal" in cassoulet, as is lamb (not the leg or the rack, but the shoulder) and sausages and lots of beans. I have never seen a bean dish that I wouldn't classify as "down home" as compared to fancy, if that's what you meant by "froo-froo."
Who's Julia???? You've lost me.
__________________
Callisto in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 PM   #28
Executive Chef
 
LEFSElover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: ...lala land..............
Posts: 3,670
having A+ blood means I am a veg and fruit person.
I love beans of all kinds and in any concoction.
They are homey as ChefJune says, very homey.
Very much [to me anyway] comfort food.
It's also often times a protein for me.
If mixed with the other ingredients that make it a whole protein.
Dr. asks me to eat more meat please, I prefer things of this nature however. A little meat in there, of any sort, is fine, just not gobs of it.
The duck leg used on the show, looked just like it was simply put on top, maybe though to let you know it was part of the inner ingredients of the complete dish, dunno.
Love lamb and am in favor of that, love ham hocks and wonder if those could work, sausages, not so much, although my doll does.

I've been to France and the food there was nothing like I expected, nothing that hubby and I expected at all. Italy on the other hand, was exactly what I expected and did not disappoint.
__________________
...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 04:01 PM   #29
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,764
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFSElover View Post
having A+ blood means I am a veg and fruit person.
I love beans of all kinds and in any concoction.
They are homey as ChefJune says, very homey.
Very much [to me anyway] comfort food.
It's also often times a protein for me.
If mixed with the other ingredients that make it a whole protein.
Dr. asks me to eat more meat please, I prefer things of this nature however. A little meat in there, of any sort, is fine, just not gobs of it.
The duck leg used on the show, looked just like it was simply put on top, maybe though to let you know it was part of the inner ingredients of the complete dish, dunno.
Love lamb and am in favor of that, love ham hocks and wonder if those could work, sausages, not so much, although my doll does.

I've been to France and the food there was nothing like I expected, nothing that hubby and I expected at all. Italy on the other hand, was exactly what I expected and did not disappoint.
Lefse, I think she put the duck leg on top for looks, rather than mixing it in, because you and I both know that a dish of beans, although a delicious thing indeed, is not particularly pretty....
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
If it had been any other contestant that made it I would have been willing to try but I can't stand Lisa. I hope she doesn't win. Funny how they aren't letting fans vote this season.
i think she has the strangest eyes and or make-up on them, don't you. i like the funny guy, forgot his name. hope he wins.

babe
__________________

__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.