Cassoulet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, 6 eps of one show. I forget on FN the hosts have different shows. It was terrible. The only reason she won, as opposed to Rory, was the contestants that she beat on her other show rallied behind Amy. Basically, they didn't vote for Amy to win, they voted for Rory to lose. Rory could have been up against a statue and the statue would have won.

I could like Amber ~ Secrets of a Restaurant Chef ~ if she had a better set to work on. Her set is so dark it's hard to watch the show. Why can't she have the Neely's kitchen and get rid of them?

Did Amy really have 6 shows? and they aired them? I saw the advert and went to watch and it wasn't there and the on line guide on FoodTV said no shows were in production. Wow, I missed it fer sure.

she did have those shows on as mentioned.
her kitchen style was boring to my taste.
she was boring with no personality or presence with the camera. in other words, seemed very uncomfortable or ill at ease.
very lack lustre in my view.
I think a lot of it and the success of a show is the design and color, something's gotta catch your eye, the camera angles and the stylist who does ones hair/makeup/clothes etc. with the funny guy that did the best of the buffets as per the judges, I like him and his style, but he's not a very big presence in any way or fashion for me and don't know how to say that better but I know what I mean. the other guy seems sweet as he could possibly be but what was with that monologe he did? talk about dropping a bomb, and he'd just done so well on the intro's. he has potential though and I would watch him once he gets used to the cameras. speaking of camera's....where's buckytom on this discussion?

thanking everyone for their take on cassoulets though, I can't wait to put this kitchen to a test when it's a little cooler outside...

Sorry, KE, I didn't see this before my other reply.

Lisa's recipe for cassoulet is on the Food Network site: White Bean Cassoulet

Interesting recipe, and the dish looks as tho it would taste good
but that is NOT Cassoulet. It's a bean dish with some"Cassoulet Characteristics," FWIW, pesto, or as it's called in France, Pistou, is not at all from the same region as Cassoulet. Cassoulet is from Gascony, and Pistou is Provencal.

Kinda like serving New England Clam Chowder with Grits????? :rolleyes:

Interesting recipe, and the dish looks as tho it would taste good
but that is NOT assoulet. It's a bean dish with some"Cassoulet Characteristics," FWIW, pesto, or as it's called in France, Pistou, is not at all from the same region as Cassoulet. Cassoulet is from Gascony, and Pistou is Provencal.

Kinda like serving New England Clam Chowder with Grits????? :rolleyes:
Now do you understand why I've poo poo'd this recipe? Pesto, to me, is froo froo. Now I see it doesn't even belong in the recipe in the first place.

Paula Wolfert recipe for cassoulet

Wolfert has three recipes for cassoulet in her Cooking of Southwest France. I have had a problem with using pork rind and salt pork before, and the fava bean cassoulet I made the other night is no exception. It was fabulous, but too salty. The other recipe from Paula was Osso Buco. Divine, but salty.

I used ventreche from d'Artagnon, duck confit from them as well. And pork skin from local butcher. I followed the recipe to the letter [and $], I might add, and the flavor was wonderful albeit too salty. I used chicken stock 'natural' in carton. Maybe that did it? The fava beans I found frozen from Int'l foods - he is really nice. Of course the obvious answer is to remove some of the pork skin, but it does impart particular sultry flavor. I did simmer it for 15".

What do you think? I made it the day before, and that was good.

Cluck, cluck, cluck. Five pages of disagreement. Do any of you realize that Cassoulet is a peasant dish that was simply meant to flavor beans with preserved poultry (aka goose &/or duck) along with some sausage for additional flavoring. That was it!!

I make Cassoulet every year for New Years Day. Adapted for my non-red-meating-eating husband, I've had red-meat-eaters scrape their bowls & take 2nd & 3rd helpings. I use the traditional white beans, & for my meats I use the leftover Xmas goose, turkey kielbasa &/or turkey Andouille sausages, & chicken breast poached in white wine. Along with the usual aromatic vegetables. Bake it & serve it in a huge Spanish terracotta bowl, along with a huge green salad & lots of homemade baguettes.

I've been making the same recipe since 1995 & have yet to hear a complaint - even from folks who've been to France & have had the "real thing". Go figure.

It sounds wonderful, Breezy. Would you consider sharing your recipe? I've never made one myself but I loved the ones I had in France. Also, if you have any hints or tips on making it, that would be great.

Fisher's Mom - I'd be happy to. I have to say that I really did pat myself on the back & bask in the glory when folks who had the real deal (with goose confit, pork, & lamb) really enjoyed my version. And a big plus? My version is healthier (although I didn't tell anyone that - lol!!).

Anyway - I'll definitely post it, but just give me a little slack. I don't have the recipe typed up on my computer & I have a hefty plate for the weekend. But I won't forget!! And thanks for asking. :)

LOL - you are right about what you said. It isn't that I don't know that. The ones from Toulouse, etc., are hearty like yours. This one with only fava beans and duck confit is more mild and I just am trying to get it less salty.

Oh : ) and I have been to France and had the 'real thing' - this one is the real thing from Chef Daguin in Auch. Yours sounds great too.

Thanks a million, Breezy! No rush - I've learned that good things come to those who wait!:) I got a picture in my head of your table - I'm going to serve mine in a big terracotta baker I have, too! If I get good at it, I think it would be a lovely meal to serve on New Year's Eve just after midnight!

LOL - you are right about what you said. It isn't that I don't know that. The ones from Toulouse, etc., are hearty like yours. This one with only fava beans and duck confit is more mild and I just am trying to get it less salty.

Joan, I find all prepared chicken stocks too salty. I make mine without salt, so its easier to adjust seasoning for dishes such as this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom