Cassoulet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Paula and Bobby's defense, they both said it wasn't something they had had often and Paula had never had it so she didn't have a base to compare it to in the first place (unless she was equating it with bean soup of some kind). I'll end up watching the ep again but I'm sure he said he hadn't had that many. Then again, maybe he doesn't usually like it and the more down homeness of Lisa's quick cook was better to him. It really did look like white bean stew. And, remember, they are trying to pimp a new show. Viewers aren't voting this time and and they've already picked the winner so maybe she won and they edited that creatively so people would think she's good at what she does.
mentioned here is soup, and this cassoulet thing is interesting to me and something I will get made, I know me. Campbells bean with bacon is my favorite Campbells soup. wonder if there's a connection

mentioned here is soup, and this cassoulet thing is interesting to me and something I will get made, I know me. Campbells bean with bacon is my favorite Campbells soup. wonder if there's a connection
That's exactly what I thought of when I saw her cassoulet. It looked just like that only with a duck leg on top.

ChefJune, you are right, the final cook of a cassoulet is a stew, but several cuts of meat need either roasting or braising before being used. I make it yearly after a leg of lamb, a pork roast, a duck, etc. so I have all the bits and pieces. But if I do a quick one with lamb shanks and unsmoked pork hocks, it starts as a braise.

Let's see, her long version has all kinds of gross meats and her quick one had the duck leg on top, easy to remove. Definitely down home not froo froo like her 8 hour version. Cassoulet sounds French which is froo froo, not down home. Just the ingredients are froo froo. What she ended up doing was more like butter bean stew.

Why do you say that French makes it "froo froo?" Most French food is plain and homely, like Cassoulet. Because you think some of the meat in Julia's long version is "gross," doesn't make it "froo-froo" whatever that means. Have you ever been to France? You might find that the food is nothing like you think..... I'm guessing you are mixing all French food with "fancy restaurant food" -- wherever it comes from, and you couldn't be more wrong.

Duck confit is "normal" in cassoulet, as is lamb (not the leg or the rack, but the shoulder) and sausages and lots of beans. I have never seen a bean dish that I wouldn't classify as "down home" as compared to fancy, if that's what you meant by "froo-froo."

ChefJune, you are right, the final cook of a cassoulet is a stew, but several cuts of meat need either roasting or braising before being used. I make it yearly after a leg of lamb, a pork roast, a duck, etc. so I have all the bits and pieces. But if I do a quick one with lamb shanks and unsmoked pork hocks, it starts as a braise.

Robo... do you call Beef Stew a braise?

Lefse, I think Cassoulet has more in common with a casserole dish of Baked Beans, esoecially when sausages and bacon are added.

Why do you say that French makes it "froo froo?" Most French food is plain and homely, like Cassoulet. Because you think some of the meat in Julia's long version is "gross," doesn't make it "froo-froo" whatever that means. Have you ever been to France? You might find that the food is nothing like you think..... I'm guessing you are mixing all French food with "fancy restaurant food" -- wherever it comes from, and you couldn't be more wrong.

Duck confit is "normal" in cassoulet, as is lamb (not the leg or the rack, but the shoulder) and sausages and lots of beans. I have never seen a bean dish that I wouldn't classify as "down home" as compared to fancy, if that's what you meant by "froo-froo."
Who's Julia???? You've lost me.

having A+ blood means I am a veg and fruit person.
I love beans of all kinds and in any concoction.
They are homey as ChefJune says, very homey.
Very much [to me anyway] comfort food.
It's also often times a protein for me.
If mixed with the other ingredients that make it a whole protein.
Dr. asks me to eat more meat please, I prefer things of this nature however. A little meat in there, of any sort, is fine, just not gobs of it.
The duck leg used on the show, looked just like it was simply put on top, maybe though to let you know it was part of the inner ingredients of the complete dish, dunno.
Love lamb and am in favor of that, love ham hocks and wonder if those could work, sausages, not so much, although my doll does.

I've been to France and the food there was nothing like I expected, nothing that hubby and I expected at all. Italy on the other hand, was exactly what I expected and did not disappoint.

having A+ blood means I am a veg and fruit person.
I love beans of all kinds and in any concoction.
They are homey as ChefJune says, very homey.
Very much [to me anyway] comfort food.
It's also often times a protein for me.
If mixed with the other ingredients that make it a whole protein.
Dr. asks me to eat more meat please, I prefer things of this nature however. A little meat in there, of any sort, is fine, just not gobs of it.
The duck leg used on the show, looked just like it was simply put on top, maybe though to let you know it was part of the inner ingredients of the complete dish, dunno.
Love lamb and am in favor of that, love ham hocks and wonder if those could work, sausages, not so much, although my doll does.

I've been to France and the food there was nothing like I expected, nothing that hubby and I expected at all. Italy on the other hand, was exactly what I expected and did not disappoint.

Lefse, I think she put the duck leg on top for looks, rather than mixing it in, because you and I both know that a dish of beans, although a delicious thing indeed, is not particularly pretty.... ;)

I don't know about you, but I really am not a fan of canned beans, except in a pinch. I always think I can still taste the can! and I really dislike that goop that is always in the bottom.

You won't have that problem if you put the beans in a colander and wash them off with cold water.

it still puzzles me that BF liked her cassoulet so much, that seemed weird to me but as has been said, maybe he´s not had that many cassoulets.

her eyes to me are different as is her hair and style, you just gotta like someone all the way around to make them the next food network star, at least for me to watch them. i taped amy´s show and honestly found it boring to the hilt. no pazzazz, no personality, not even recipes id want to deplicate. washing my face this morning made me think a person winning this has to have the whole package and its a big package.

apologize for this typing, the keys in gua hotel are different from what i´m used to.

i am not a fan of the goop that congregates around the bottom of stuff either regarding beans and that is a big drawback for my husband who is not a fan of beans for the most part. the slime grosses him out which is why i was so happy to realize i could rinse them until it was gone.

it still puzzles me that BF liked her cassoulet so much, that seemed weird to me but as has been said, maybe he´s not had that many cassoulets...

Consider the possibility that he said that for the benefit of the show and the drama/selection process to make her performance close to that of other participants so they could justify keeping her.

Well, let's look at the Next food network star track record. year one: two caterers win it and do two short series of shows. No big star item there. year two: Guy Fierri, a dude with outsize looks and personality wins and takes off, less on his cooking than on his personality. Guy's big bite is dull, but Diners DriveIns and Dives is a hit. Last year the one who almost gave up wins and never hit the air to my knowledge, or had a pilot that bombed. Maybe someone knows more about that.

So looking at who's left this year, two bbq guys (and FTV already has the Neely's!) and a singing? (what key was that in?) gourmet? Silly me, I liked her Wilma Flintstone beads, but that's about all.

Well, let's look at the Next food network star track record. year one: two caterers win it and do two short series of shows. No big star item there. year two: Guy Fierri, a dude with outsize looks and personality wins and takes off, less on his cooking than on his personality. Guy's big bite is dull, but Diners DriveIns and Dives is a hit. Last year the one who almost gave up wins and never hit the air to my knowledge, or had a pilot that bombed. Maybe someone knows more about that.

So looking at who's left this year, two bbq guys (and FTV already has the Neely's!) and a singing? (what key was that in?) gourmet? Silly me, I liked her Wilma Flintstone beads, but that's about all.
I LOVE Guy and Guy's Big Bite. I have every ep on DVD and watch them. He's on every day now and I watch every day. I love him.

Amy, last years winner had a 6 week run and it bombed. She likely won't be back, but there's no way to know at this point. They do new shows all the time.

I like a very limited number of FN host, coincidentally the only ones I like are the men. There is not a female on the FN that I'll bother with. Not Rachael, not Paula, not Amber, not that "Cooking for Real" chick, not the Neelys (they are horrid IMO). I only like the men. Tyler, Bobby, Danny, Guy, and Michael. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like the guys have to try too hard, unlike the women.

Interestingly enough, the fan vote which doesn't mean anything this year, is going toward Kelsey. If she hadn't screwed up and said "Culinary school" one time too many for Bob's taste, she'd likely still be there and Lisa would be gone.

I LOVE Guy and Guy's Big Bite. I have every ep on DVD and watch them. He's on every day now and I watch every day. I love him.

Amy, last years winner had a 6 week run and it bombed. She likely won't be back, but there's no way to know at this point. They do new shows all the time.

I like a very limited number of FN host, coincidentally the only ones I like are the men. There is not a female on the FN that I'll bother with. Not Rachael, not Paula, not Amber, not that "Cooking for Real" chick, not the Neelys (they are horrid IMO). I only like the men. Tyler, Bobby, Danny, Guy, and Michael. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem like the guys have to try too hard, unlike the women.

Interestingly enough, the fan vote which doesn't mean anything this year, is going toward Kelsey. If she hadn't screwed up and said "Culinary school" one time too many for Bob's taste, she'd likely still be there and Lisa would be gone.

ditto on the neelys, to much togetherness for me. :ROFLMAO:

babe

Did Amy really have 6 shows? and they aired them? I saw the advert and went to watch and it wasn't there and the on line guide on FoodTV said no shows were in production. Wow, I missed it fer sure.

Of the ladies I like Barefoot Ina and Mario's sous chef Secrets of a Restaurant Chef. When I first saw Ina I have to admit I thought, "what is she taking!!!" but I've gotten used to her style. I feel Paula and Rachel are sincere, but I don't care for their style. My loss.

Tyler Jamie Michael C and Mario, and a Little Bobby plus Iron Chef. On the Green Network Emeril is doing a very laid back Emeril Green with Whole Foods Market and it's quite a show!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom