"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Cheesy skillet gnocchi

DH made this last night. I couldn't get over how delicious it was.

Cheesy Skillet Gnocchi

Boil one 17.5 oz. package potato gnocchi as the label directs. Reserve 1/4 cup water; drain. Simmer 1 cup heavy cream, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, a few grinds of pepper and a pinch of nutmeg in an ovenproof skillet, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the gnocchi and thin with the cooking water. Top with 1/2 cup shredded gruyere. BROIL until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Top with chopped chives.

Source: Food Network mag. 12/18

cookieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

This will be a perfect side for my Shrimp Cakes tonight Cookieee. We don't care for Gnocchi, but I think it will be great with pretty little Gigli pasta too.
Thanks!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Sorry you don't like gnocchi, how was it with pasta?
Old 02-12-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

It was very nice with the pretty pasta Cookieee. I hear tell that I've never eaten really good gnocchi, as it sits in my belly like little lead sinkers.

Old 02-13-2019, 05:01 AM   #5
Master Chef

Nothing beats homemade gnocchi! I'm surprised FN suggested using a prepackaged gnocchi, unless it was Sandra Lee.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:08 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Nothing beats homemade gnocchi! I'm surprised FN suggested using a prepackaged gnocchi, unless it was Sandra Lee.
I've never made homemade gnocchi. It's something I have always wanted to do. There are so many different things you can use. I must have over 30 recipes on how to make your own gnocchi, and only about 1/2 dozen recipes on what to do with store bought. The store bought gnocchi sure comes in handy tho when your craving gnocchi and DH doesn't have the time to make them. Thank goodness they sit well with me. lol
Old 02-13-2019, 04:12 PM   #7
Master Chef

Funny things, gnocchi..the first time I ate them was when I lived in Italy back in the 80's..my wife's zia made them while we were visiting and I watched her..one of many times, thankfully..when we moved back to Canada, I tried to make them and they were terrible..I've improved them over time but still can't replicate the ones she made..
Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 04:23 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Funny things, gnocchi..the first time I ate them was when I lived in Italy back in the 80's..my wife's zia made them while we were visiting and I watched her..one of many times, thankfully..when we moved back to Canada, I tried to make them and they were terrible..I've improved them over time but still can't replicate the ones she made..
Hi Rocklobster (love your name) Do you think it might have something to do with the water being different in Italy?
Old 02-13-2019, 06:45 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Cookieee, there's a wonderful tutorial on this site, done by Medtran (Craig's wife). It's good to see wonderful instructions like this.

You should check it out...

How to make gnocchi

Old 02-13-2019, 06:48 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieee View Post
Hi Rocklobster (love your name) Do you think it might have something to do with the water being different in Italy?
Could be..and the flour also...they were lighter..I have started with 00 flour and they are better..I think it depends a lot on how you handle the dough..

Rocklobster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe

Cheesy skillet gnocchi DH made this last night. I couldn't get over how delicious it was. Cheesy Skillet Gnocchi Boil one 17.5 oz. package potato gnocchi as the label directs. Reserve 1/4 cup water; drain. Simmer 1 cup heavy cream, 1 minced garlic clove, 1/4 tsp kosher salt, a few grinds of pepper and a pinch of nutmeg in an ovenproof skillet, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in the gnocchi and thin with the cooking water. Top with 1/2 cup shredded gruyere. BROIL until golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Top with chopped chives. Source: Food Network mag. 12/18 3 stars 1 reviews