Chicken Veggie Rice Dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkath

Hospitality Queen
This is something my family likes alot, and it's super easy for one of those rushed evenings:

Chicken/Veggie Rice

3 Tbsp EVOO, divided
3 green onions, chopped (I like the ones with the big bulbs that are hotter)
1 c. long grain brown rice (the long cooking kind)
2 c. boiling water
2 or 3 tsp. chicken bouillon paste(I use "better than bouillon" brand)
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 zuchinni, diced (1" pieces)
2 large hothouse tomatoes, diced
1 pkg already-grilled chicken, cut into 1½"-2" pieces (photo of this item at bottom)
1 tsp. minced garlic (or you can use garlic powder)
salt & pepper

Over med heat, warm 1 Tbsp oil & add onions in a large skillet. Stir till semi-tender. In a seperate bowl, mix boiling water with bouillon. When it's incorporated, add it to the skillet. Add rice and italian seasoning. Bring
to a boil. Put heat down to low and cover. Cook 50 minutes.

While that's cooking, put all veggies (except tomatoes) together in a dry skillet with remaining 2 Tbsp oil. Heat over med-hi heat till almost roasted. Add tomatoes, chicken & garlic & cook till the edges begin to brown. Set aside. Add salt & pepper & toss.

When rice is done, mix in veggies. Season to taste.
--------------------------------------------

Here's a photo of the pre-grilled chicken:

Thank you!

JKath, I love everything that's in this dish, so I know we'll love having it for dinner. It's always nice to find quick and easy ones when you're in a hurry. Thanks so much for sharing!

Hi jkath, this recipe sounds easy, healthy and delish. I will most definitely have to try it. I am sure it will go great as a side with grilled fish.

Here is another veggies, rice one pot meal that I make. If you want to try it give it a shot.

2 tsp whole cumin seeds
Cilantro Chutney
Blend one bunch of cilantro, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 jalapeno pepper and juice of 1 lime. A touch of salt and the thick chutney is ready
1 small regular onion
frozen veggies of your choice - I like to use peas, cauliflower florets, french style green beans and diced carrots. You can substitute with fresh if you like.
2 tbsp of oil (any kind is fine)
1 cup of long grain rice (I prefer Basmati and have loads of it at home but you can use whatever you like)
2 bullion chicken cubes or chicken stock (1 cup if you have some)

Rinse the rice multiple times in cold water and reserve. In a pan add the oil. Once it's hot add the whole cumin seeds and let them splutter (if you have curry leaves you can add them to at this point, they are optional but very good). Next add the onions and cook them until translucent. Follow this by the frozen veggies and let them cook covered for a minute. Now add the cilantro chutney to the rice followed by the stock and the rice. Stir it all together and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and let the rice cook with the aromatics for 15 minutes or so until done.

Serve with raita:

Plain yogurt
pinch of salt
pinch of black pepper
Roughly chopped tomatoes
Roughly chopped cucumbers
Tiny bit of sugar
handful of cilantro and mint

A meal that is not only fulfilling but you can feel good about eating it as well :)

Back
Top Bottom