"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 02-24-2009, 08:52 PM   #1
Cook

Question Chickpeas - are canned chickpeas already cooked?

Hi there, I'm making a Chickpea Potato Curry, and using chickpeas that have been soaking for 4 days already!!! (just didn't have time - i have a toddler running around!)

the recipe calls for using canned chickpeas, drained & rinsed. then you add to broth with spices and potatoes, etc, simmering for 35 minutes.

i've seen articles saying you should cook chickpeas for 1-2hrs depending on how long they've soaked.

should i precook the chickpeas before throwing in with potatoes, etc, and for how long?

your advice is much appreciated!

salubriousbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Canned chickpeas are already cooked. If you're using your presoaked chickpeas, you should cook them first.

Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Executive Chef

how long? at least an hour then test for tenderness.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Canned chickpeas, just rinse and use,t hey are already cooked. But if you want to use the ones you've had soaking, you need to rinse, add new water and then cook them according to package directions.

kadesma
Old 02-25-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by at0micgirl View Post
Hi there, I'm making a Chickpea Potato Curry, and using chickpeas that have been soaking for 4 days already!!! (just didn't have time - i have a toddler running around!)
It's possible for beans to begin to ferment if they are soaked too long. Check them and make sure they smell ok. If they smell sour I probably would pitch them.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Master Chef

Jennyema - you took the words right out of my mouth. Frankly, if I were the OP, I'd unfortunately toss those chickpeas you've had soaking for 4 days. That's WAY WAY too long to be either tasty or, more importantly - SAFE. I shudder at the thought of what that breeding ground has been breeding over the course of FOUR days!!!

One time I forgot about a potful of white beans I was soaking for Cassoulet. A mere 48 hours later just lifting the pot lid told me they had begun to ferment & out they went.

It's just not worth it to ruin your recipe or your health. If I were you I'd either go out & pick up some canned chickpeas, or save this recipe for another day.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Head Chef

Toss em out as Jennyema indicated. To soak dry beans for 4 days is a lot. They either sprout or go bad. I suspect they are gone bad because of how long you have soaked them.

You will get sick if you eat them. Beans start to ferment as was rightly indicated and develop a sour taste. When you cook them they get frothy and yuck a sure ticket to hospitalization.

I would try to use canned ones at this point or start with a batch of fresh ones. Soak (only overnight), cook them in a pot or pressure cooker until tender.

Then follow your recipe. I normally cook, my onions, tomatoes, spices and aromatics seperately. I also remove a cup of chickpeas and puree them and then readd them to the gravy to give it some body.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Master Chef

I think for most of us canned beans are the way to go. Dry beans (to include chick peas aka garbanzos) are cheaper, but in fact they can be a false economy if you wind up cooking more food than you can eat.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I think for most of us canned beans are the way to go. Dry beans (to include chick peas aka garbanzos) are cheaper, but in fact they can be a false economy if you wind up cooking more food than you can eat.
True, but you can always freeze them. I soak and cook a huge batch, then keep them frozen in 1-cup servings. Works great.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Head Chef

Canned chickpeas are very good -- I like them in salads, and I eat them right out of the can as I'm preparing dinner. My parrot liked them, too.

Tags
chickpeas