Cilantro-Lime Rice -- Please Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ErgoErgun

Assistant Cook
I'm looking for a great recipe for Cilantro-Lime Rice! I can't get the proportions right for the lime, cilantro, salt, and oil, and it comes out tasting bland!

I am not sure exactly what you are referring to. We make seasoned rice at home with lime, cilantro, peas, potatoes, carrots, jalapenos and garlic. Now this is not what you asked for but if you want to try it, you can give it a shot.

I like to use basmati rice. If you don't have basmati use any long grain rice.
Here are all the proportions:

2 cups of rice
4 cups of water
3 tbsp of oil
3 cloves of garlic finely chopped
1 cup of cilantro finely diced
1 jalapeno finely diced
2 potatoes peeled and cut into small cubes
1 cup of peas
1 cup of diced carrots
salt to taste
1 lime (zest the skin first) and squeeze juice out of it and reserve it to add to the rice.

Wash the rice multiple times in cold water to get rid of the starch. Now soak it for an hour or so in cold water. Then once again drain the water and you are ready to cook.

In a pan add the oil. Once the oil is slightly hot, add the garlic and jalapeno and cook it until a nice aroma develops. Next add the cubed potatoes and carrots and cook them until they are slightly translucent. Now add the peas, cilantro, lime zest and lime juice. Stir in the drained rice. Now pour 4 cups of water, add salt and let the rice cook on high until it reaches a boiling point. At that point, stir the rice gently, cover and let it steam on low for an hour (lowest setting).

Enjoy with a yogurt salad.

I make mine as follows:

1 cup plain yogurt
1 medium onion sliced thinly
1 medium tomato diced
1 small cucumber peeled, seeded and diced
handful of cilantro
salt and pepper

Stir it all together and serve.

I haven't tried this yet, but I have this recipe from recipegoldmine.com
Sounds good - maybe it's what you're after.
Good luck!

Rusty's Cilantro Lime Rice:

1 cup uncooked rice
1 teaspoon margarine (optional)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon grated lime peel
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Combine rice, margarine, garlic, lime peel, pepper and broth in 2- to 3 quart saucepan. Bring to a boil; stir once or twice. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in cilantro.

Microwave Instructions
Combine rice, margarine, garlic, lime peel, pepper and broth in 2- to 3-quart micro-proof baking dish. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 minutes. Reduce setting to MEDIUM and cook 15 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Stir in cilantro.
Servings: 6

Those aren't bad

Those are okay, thank you. Does anyone have any others they use consistently that just ROCK!? :) I mean TAAASSTY -- also, I want to keep it straight vegetarian (i.e. no chicken broth)

Last edited:
I don't know the recipe, but I know that the Chipotle restaraunt chain has rice that uses only cilantro and lime. It was the first time I had had it, and it was very refreshing. You shouldn't need very much lime juice, b/c it's pretty strong and you probably just want a hint of lime in your rice. As far as your amount of cilantro, I think that depends on you. I know I can't get enough of the stuff, but everyone's tastes vary, so it's reeally up to you.

college cook thanks for the feedback, i replaced using oil in my rice with butter and that added a lot more flavor; i'll go check out that rice; i'm experimenting now with different proportions of lemon juice, lime juice, salt, and butter;

no prob ergo; sorry I can't give a specific recipe or proportion to follow, but that's not my syle of doing things. anytime I try to follow a recipe without taking into account my own personal tastes I find that i don't like it as much.

wow that's a really good point, i never thought about it that way; i'm thinking about everywhere else where i do that, and just follow recipes, and how taking account of my own personal tastes would actually make an impact in the flavor of my food! thank you!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom