Coconut Milk Arborio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jizdepski

Assistant Cook
Hopefully a simple question:

Will applying a socarrat to finish off a coconut milk based rice dish burn? I'm worried the sugar content could be an issue with high heat. I plan on cooking the rice with a 50/50 blend of chicken stock and coconut milk, then finishing off with a rendered chicken fat socarrat at the end for that perfect (hopefully) crunch. anyone ever do this with coconut milk? should I worry? I don't have time for an experimental try first because it's a dish I'm preparing now for a party in two hours.

I can't answer your question because I don't know what socarrat is, but I typically don't make a brand-new, unusual recipe for the first time for a dinner party. Since you didn't experiment in advance, you're now about to experiment on your guests.

Socarrat is simply applying a browning, crunchy finish to a rice dish, slightly caramelizing the rice to the bottom of a skillket with fat or oil. I've done it many, many times, but with coconut milk it adds a different dynamic and wanted to ask before trying. went for it and it's fine :)

I can't answer your question because I don't know what socarrat is, but I typically don't make a brand-new, unusual recipe for the first time for a dinner party. Since you didn't experiment in advance, you're now about to experiment on your guests.
Well I know what it is but I've never heard of anyone adding it at the end of cooking.

Socarrat is the crusty caramelisation you get at the bottom of a paella when you cook it properly (Making a paella "properly"? Am I mad? Lock a thousand Spanish cooks in a room and tell them to write out the recipe for a "proper" paella and you'll get a 1000 different recipes. :LOL:) It occurs naturally in the cooking and I don't know how you'd add it at the end as the OP seems to suggest.

Last edited:
"it occurs naturally in the cooking." so does EVERYTHING. you add it at the end by not fully cooking the rice initially (to about al dente), then placing it in a pan with hot oil or rendered animal fat. the result is crusty deliciousness. yes, the term is derived specifically from paella dishes but you can socarrat any rice dish. I do it with jambalayas often. It certainly isn't a term or method exclusive to paellas.

Last edited:
"it occurs naturally in the cooking." so does EVERYTHING. you add it at the end by not fully cooking the rice initially (to about al dente), then placing it in a pan with hot oil or rendered animal fat. the result is crusty deliciousness. yes, the term is derived specifically from paella dishes but you can socarrat any rice dish. I do it with jambalayas often. It certainly isn't a term or method exclusive to paellas.

I'm confused because I thought the crustiness occurred in the same pan while cooking the dish, with all the other ingredients - proteins, veggies and seasonings. I've never heard of making crusty rice in a separate pan and then adding it to the rest of the dish. Is that what you're doing?

btw, socarrat is a noun, not a verb.

True socarrat is a noun...the verb being "socarrar" (to singe). With paella it is the final step. upping the heat in the pan and singeing the rice for a couple minutes and removing from heat before it comes to a burn. I did the exact same thing, only i didn't use the pot I cooked the rice in because to achieve the socarrat you need a shallow, wide metal or cast iron pot. Therefore, I transferred the mostly cooked saffron rice to the heated skillet to apply the finish. Superfluous perhaps, but a nice touch. Anyway, the original post was to see if anyone had any issues with the coconut milk I used to cook the rice scorching.

Then you should make yourself clear. I wasn't the only DCer to be confused about what you were asking. It sounded as though you were talking about making a crust on top of your dish after you had cooked it.

We aren't stupid but we aren't thought readers either.

Last edited:
I assume you're not using sweetened coconut milk. Then you'd only have to deal with the natural sugars in the coconut milk.

As GG said. It's not a great idea to experiment on guests. Yes, you're asking us for help but it looks like no one has done this.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom