"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains...

Old 05-24-2004, 02:58 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Cole Slaw & beans

I was wondering if you guys can help me out. Im trying to remember what this dish is called. It is baked beans with cole slaw on top. It is served in the Southern part of the U.S.
Also, I THINK that there is also a sandwich (pulled pork maybe) with cole slaw on top. It is a BBQ sandwich from the same part of America.

It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good!!!

I have been banging my head on the wall trying to figure this out!

If you know what it is called.... could you post a recipe for it (them)???? PLEASE

Thanks!!!!!!!!!! :D

Old 05-24-2004, 06:21 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Sushi;
The pulled pork sandwich with cole slaw is what we call a barbecue sandwich. Pork shoulders are SLOOOOOW cooked over wood (usually hickory, but some folks use oak) and then drenched in a vinegar based barbecue sauce. Load up a good hamburger bun with the pork then add the cole slaw.
Now...as to the beans...we don't put cole slaw on the beans but we have been known to make a meal off of pinto beans, cole slaw and cornbread.

Old 05-24-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Thanks Bubba! Up here a BBQ sandwich is without cole slaw. When its with cole slaw on top, it has a different name. ARGH, this will drive me nuts!
Old 05-24-2004, 05:26 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I couldn't believe it when I moved to South Carolina and found out they put slaw on top of burgers, hotdogs, and bbq. In California, cole slaw was a side salad, eaten with a fork!

:) Barbara
Old 05-24-2004, 05:29 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

P.S. They look at me really funny here when I say that I want sweet pickle relish on a hot dog. I like them with ketchup, mustard, onions, and pickle relish. They like them with chili and slaw on them. (We ate chili dogs in California too, but then we left the other stuff, other than onions, off).

:) Barbara
Old 05-24-2004, 09:35 PM   #6
Head Chef

Sushi you are looking for a Pulled Pork Sandwich...they are soooooooooogood! It's the only time I've seen cole slaw put on a sandwich but I've had it in Kansas City at a restaurant that was touted as the BBQ Pork capital of the world.

Last year Cuisine published the recipe for pulled pork and we've successfully duplicated it - it is not a quick process but we think well worth the effort (in fact we're planning to do one this weekend). If you want it I'll post it. The pork has to be falling apart tender and is slow barbequed - you brine the pork butt so it takes about 4 days all told.

Let me know!

Old 05-24-2004, 10:26 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Lindatooo, Please post that recipe! I have never told you this, but you are my favorite here (please post recipe)!
I would love to try that 4-day thing! Boston butt is my favorite chunk of meat to smoke. I smoke it with hickory wood, and it takes me A good part of the day (about 6-10 beers!)
I also do it in A slow cooker/crock pot, and love it that way also!!
I bake Boston Butt in the oven too, for about 6 hours, with the bone in, "low & slow" method. The meat is SOOO tender. Fork it, slop on some of your favorite BBQ sauce, and you are right where you wanna be. Heaven!
I never did slaw on the bun yet (I'm from Wisconsin), but that sounds AWESOME.

I have always wondered if you could brine A Boston Butt! THANX
Old 05-24-2004, 10:41 PM   #8
Executive Chef

O K. I think this is my fault for posting twice, but I don't know. After posting, I like to hit the back space key. Please ignore, and post that recipe!!
Old 05-25-2004, 06:45 AM   #9
Senior Cook

MJ;
Don't worry. Got that double post. Now...to vent.

Linda posted about a restaurant touting itself as the "Barbecue Pork Capital of the World." I own a cookbook that calls KC the "Barbecue capital of the World" and I have heard this about other places as well. While I know this is marketing, I always fear that some poor soul might actually believe this hype.

Once and for all let me state: North Carolina has been making pork barbecue since the late 1600's. There are literally thousands of places to get what we call Barbecue (always capitalized) and most of them are good if not excellent.
Barbecue was taken by North Carolina settlers to many other states and, in addition, people in other states only began to TRY and make it AFTER visiting NC and trying the real thing. In most places outside of NC where I was able to find decent barbecue (outside of NC this is tough...but not impossible) I was able to find a Carolina connection between the people cooking the barbecue and (usually) some relative that still lives here.

I have sought out and tried as many Barbecue places in NC that I could find AND as many in other states as I could as well. I came to the following conclusions.

1) In North Carolina alone there are at least 200 Barbecue restaraunts that could seriously contend for "Best Barbecue in the World"
2) Most (if not all) NC Barbecue places could be airlifted to any point in the US and almost immediately become "The Best Barbecue" in that area.
3) It is darn near impossible to beat 350 years of experience in cooking pigs.
4) Every decent Pork Barbecue (if it ain't the piggy...it ain't "Barbecue") in America can be shown to have a Carolina connection.

If you want the real thing...come on over to NC!
Old 05-25-2004, 09:39 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Bubba, can you airlift one of those BBQ joints over by my house?? Very interesting. I guess people in N. Carolina take barbacue VERY serious. I used to think of places like Kansas city. I have heard people talk of Carolina BBQ though.

So.... How do I create A pork BBQ sandwich,- mainly how do you cook the pork? What is your North Carolina secret recipe? Give it up Bubba (please)!
Do you brine the pork? I'm guessing you don't.

Tags
None